German Giant strange positions, deformed toe, swollen leg.

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Re: German Giant strange positions, deformed toe, swollen le

Postby Drache613 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 am

Hello,

He does look pretty swollen in those x-rays. Try to keep him warm & comfortable overnight
& be sure he doesn't have to climb much to get to his basking & UVB area either.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby GermanGiant3 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:35 pm

After 2 doses of Serrapeptase and Allopurinol he just tried to leap off of my bed for the first time in 5 or so months. No longer hesitant to move, getting himself up on his basking platform etc. The left leg is still giving him definite issues but there is such a difference already that I can't help but feel he has a full chance of recovery. Thank you all so much for your input.
GermanGiant3
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:41 pm

Hello,

Wow, I really hope that the treatment helps out for him. Give it time, as it will take awhile for
the swelling to start coming down. It's a great sign though that he did try to jump. His joints
must be feeling a little better.
I am rooting for a full & fast recovery for him.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby GermanGiant3 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:08 am

He just chased crickets all around my room, Supers also. He has been eating baby food daily to build up his strength, at times very stubborn about fluids. He is very strong-willed and will back up his entire body and push as much as he can against syringes, so I have only been forcing his mouth open for the Allopurinol and not so much water and Serrapeptase.

He feels like he has an arch back in his back (at his most swollen he almost laid flat like a board), is able to posture himself and seems very quick and can outrun prey no problem. He is not even a week into treatment and the difference has been astounding. No visible swelling differences yet, but I can tell he feels so much better.
GermanGiant3
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Hello,

I am very happy to hear that he is doing so much better. I really hope that he has been getting
some relief from the joint pain right now. It does sound like his energy levels have greatly
improved along with his mobility!
That is just terrific. The swelling will take a bit of time to show improvement due to the large
uric acid buildups but keep him hydrated & on the meds to flush his system.
Keep up the great work! When you can, post more pictures of him, as you would like to.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby GermanGiant3 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:34 pm

He has packed on a little too much weight from baby food, but his activity level has increased a lot. He has not been willingly taking the serrapeptase but have been forcing the allopurinol. He willingly drank about 6 mls of water today. He attempts to climb up the back-wall of his enclosure but he use to but he more ends up laying up-right against it. Does not seem capable of holding on with the way his back toes point up and his left leg is swollen.
GermanGiant3
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Hello,

Do you have new pictures of him we could see?
Be sure to not give too much protein so it doesn't tax his kidneys too much. The baby food can
get them to gain some weight. You could make just simple greens slurries with squash & greens
without protein for a few feedings so that he doesn't put too much weight on.
Is he still active?
You are sure he is getting the correct dose of allopurinol?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby GermanGiant3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:01 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

Do you have new pictures of him we could see?
Be sure to not give too much protein so it doesn't tax his kidneys too much. The baby food can
get them to gain some weight. You could make just simple greens slurries with squash & greens
without protein for a few feedings so that he doesn't put too much weight on.
Is he still active?
You are sure he is getting the correct dose of allopurinol?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Yes, he has been on your exact dosing instructions in regards to the allopurinol. He is very active, tries to climb but it seems as if his back feet just don't do that at all right now. His left front leg is still swollen and bothering him as well, but not as much as the back left foot seems to be.

https://imgur.com/a/zWYL6

Front right leg: https://imgur.com/a/eYsYR

Front left leg: https://imgur.com/a/MJFb4

Back left foot: https://imgur.com/a/8CJwS

https://imgur.com/a/sbX5M

https://imgur.com/a/2wRIj
GermanGiant3
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:21 pm

Hello,

He looks good, alert too, which is important! He is improving slowly, but it will just take
some for the swelling to go down. The uric acid buildup is stubborn that is for sure, but it
will hopefully begin to recede some soon.
Keep up with the fluids, as you ar doing now. I hope he is feeling better!

Tracie
Drache613

Previous

Return to Beardie ER