ADV/ Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey AHBD, of topic, what kinda beardie is this?
89591-6859992696.jpg
Saw him at a small local pet store, surprisingly.
I'd say he looks about a year old. But his eyes are black. Never seen that before, though I've not really seen many "fancy ones."
He's priced at $400. Unfortunately like petco/ petsmart thier listed as beginner pets, and the tank states they need a temp of 83-88, what the heck, RESEARCH PEOPLE! I've done as much research as i possibly can, and still feel like a "beginner."

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice healthy looking dragon, I wonder if someone who no longer wanted it gave it to them for a few bucks. If it has black eyes it is a transluscent aka trans.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a handsome guy, but too bad he is stuck in the petstore on sand with a horrible basking
spot/temperature also.

Tracie

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes i know. I want him! I would probably get him if i wasn't afraid of passing ADV onto him since i have two ADV dragons. Apparently this pet store had 5 of them as babies. Kind of odd they would still have such a nice beardie that's been there since he was a baby and nobody bought him. The owner says she's had beardies for years. Had one of her own that lived 17 1/2 years. And yet she puts "required temps" on the beardies tanks as "83-88." I asked if they've been tested for ADV, one employee didn't know what it was, and the owner said "we don't test them, we get them from a really good breeder."

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So i hate myself. I've been giving my baby serrapeptase, milk thistle and bee pollen. However, for no particular reason, I've put off getting colodial silver. I just read an article in the "reptile apartment," that points out the outrageous number of things colodial silver kills! I need to get this pronto! Though i guess I'm a bit unclear on the amount to give, also i guess there's suppose to be a break between the administering period

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD or Traci , can you tell me the best place to order colodial silver (as soon as possible, so i can get it ordered) what form to get and a dosing amount and "cycle" for RJ (1 YR 600 GRAMS) and copper (3-4 months 120 grams).

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD or Traci please help. Have you ever heard of Reptile apartment or a guy named Peter Hawkins? Well on a good note RJ just got a completely clear fecal. However this guy says if it turns out clear i could put him down for a real brumation, lights out. But i feel unsure , with how he's been moving around a bit. I have been doing 10 hours lights on for a few days, but i feel like he might be hungry. I haven't been feeding him, in preperation for brumation. On the 18th he was 606 grams, he pooped yesterday, and today he's 594 grams. What should i do? I put a dab of benebac on my finger in front of him and he started licking, which he never does, i usually hide it on a big, that's kinda why i feel he's hungry, I'm so confused, i wish he'd talk to me

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Only if he wants to brumate ....in other words, if he prefers to stay awake now then let him stay awake and go ahead + feed him. If he wants to sleep, then let him sleep. Either way he'll be fine.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well it's hard to say. Unfortunately I'm not home from 8-5. I come home for lunch though. And today he wasnt in his usual spot. Remember the pic i sent, saying he's usually in the back left corner with his eyes closed but still fairly alert when he hears noises. Today he was on the section of hammock that's to the right of the section he's usually on. I think he was already awake, rather that being woken be me or some noise. So you don't think a "full" brumation is necessary? And that i should stick with 10 hrs if light? If he's not doing a full brumation then i can obviously feed him if he wants to eat right? I would just stick to 10 hrs and not worry about it, however this guy i mentioned says not allowing them to brumate can actually be stressful. I'm sorry guys, i know i must be impossible to help. I've always loved animals, I've always known I can be a bit obsessive, and I've never really dealt with stress well. I guess the combination of these things, added to the fact that i seem to be more attached to my beardies than any other animal I've had or been around, it's all been quite difficult for me, on a mental/ emotional level. That and having lost Rex so early. I try to turn it off (the worry) but i rarely have much success. So i just want to express my thanks and apologise for your patience and willingness to help

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If he has an area that he likes to sleep in, he will go there and sleep. He will not stay awake unless he really wants to. Some dragons don't officially brumate and it's fine. You certainly don't want to force them to stay awake in the sense of keeping lights on 14 hours with too high a temp. at night, etc. Just let him naturally do what he wants. He has come out to eat so he will just go through phases now, sleepy day, more alert day. Eat, not eat, etc. I read the guys brumation article, there are many out there and they don't all agree. I would not " bath " a brumating dragon...I would offer water about every 10-14 days by dripping it on the snout with a wadded paper towel under the chin to catch any extra drips. Putting a sleeping dragon in a bucket of water is as far from natural as you can get.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Funny you should mention the bath, i thought exactly the same way. " taking out of brumation (a dead sleep) and dunking in water? Hmm?" But thanks for explaining the 20th time, i think i get it now :) So you think 10 hrs is good? His day temp in the basking spot is usually 105-110 (but he's never under it. His body temp is usually 95. Night temp is usually 70-75. Should i try to get closer to 65?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, you can let his night temps. drop to about 65-67 and his basking day temp. should be a high of 100-.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I would have brought it down already, the reason i haven't is because he doesn't go under the basking spot. I just figured the area he usually is, he'll be the right temperature. I had lowered it a while ago, and it seemed he was having some undigested poop. When i brought the temp back up, his poop started looking better. I could be wrong, i could be off on the precision of it (timing of temp change) maybe he had pick pinworms or coccidia at the time, can't be 100 % sure. He's had pinworms and coccidia several times, hard to know the exact timing start to end. I realize he should instinctively go to the heat for digestion. You think i should definitely bring it down though huh? And sorry but are you saying i could do 65-67 at night or should?
Also, in regards to colloidal silver...
http://www.gnc.com/expanded-assortment-shop-all/166514.html#q=Coloidial%2Bsilver&lang=default&_ga=2.6947568.372180550.1511319651-1609980454.1511319651&start=1
Is this brand ok? It's "30 ppm." I'm not sure how to dose it. Or how long "on" and how long with bene bac during the silver "off" part of the cycle.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey AHBD, you said it's ok if he's not eating during a "semi-brumation?" I'm inclined to let him fully brumate with very little movement and not eating, but he still hasn't pooped a tiny bit of applesauce I gave him to get some milk thistle and bee pollen in him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom