Baby Dragon Addicted to Supers -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Targ

Hey all, I had a scare with my little girl a few weeks ago. She is around 3 months old, only about 8 inch. She had stopped eating! We finally nailed down the problem. I fed her some superworms just to get her to eat, and now she won't touch anything else. I offered her crickets, phoenix, and horn worms today but she turned her head at all of them. I caved and cut a massive superworm in half and gave it to her. She does seem to eat her veggies OK.

Obv. I don't want to feed her any more supers. Should I just hold my ground and only feed the dubias, phoenix, crickets, and hope she finally breaks down and starts eating them? Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is she otherwise healthy and active? They can be stubborn so I'd hold off and just offer the other bugs. Those are good options and if she's otherwise healthy she'll go after them eventually. With such a young dragon keep a close eye on weight and look for lethargic behavior or a black beard which could indicate an underlying health problem.

Targ

Original Poster
Cooper - yup, she's acting normal! Had a scare for about a week, she wouldn't eat. It was bc I had the wrong bulb in, d'oh! Once it was fixed, I was giving her a few supers to further "tempt" her into eating. She still goes for her veggies too. Usually collards, squash, zuccini.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
At 3 months old , she's way to undeveloped to handle mealworms and superworms.

Cut them from her diet for now and substitute silkworms instead. If see loves supers , she'll go nuts for silkworms.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They tend to be seasonal and disappear from all the stores from time to time which is why I use them as a supplemental feeder. Just keep checking back every couple of weeks and they'll be available again depending on the growth cycles at the vendors. They tend to be a bit more scarce during the winter months.

Targ

Original Poster
Cooper, I found one today! I placed an order and they should be here by the end of the week.

I'm also getting some dubias in the mail tomorrow, hoping she'll go for those.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":2km8amzm said:
They tend to be seasonal and disappear from all the stores from time to time which is why I use them as a supplemental feeder. Just keep checking back every couple of weeks and they'll be available again depending on the growth cycles at the vendors. They tend to be a bit more scarce during the winter months.
Silkworm eggs and silkworm chow in powder form should be available year round , they are easy to hatch and raise from eggs on nuked chow only.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":1h0qnxvo said:
Silkworm eggs and silkworm chow in powder form should be available year round , they are easy to hatch and raise from eggs on nuked chow only.

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'nuked' chow? I've been thinking of raising silkworm eggs myself given the current availability of mulberry leaves in the local area. Of course, that's a seasonal thing.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a dry mixture that you mix with water and heat up. Then it solidifies into a chunk that you can feed them instead of mulberry leaves. I usually mix it on the stovetop but I suppose nuking in a microwave would work too. It freezes pretty well so you can make a bunch at once to last a while. It's commonly used here in the US with less availability of mulberry leaves. I don't know that I've ever seen a mulberry tree. If you can get fresh leaves it's probably better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom