Baby Dragon Addicted to Supers -_-

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Baby Dragon Addicted to Supers -_-

Postby Targ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Hey all, I had a scare with my little girl a few weeks ago. She is around 3 months old, only about 8 inch. She had stopped eating! We finally nailed down the problem. I fed her some superworms just to get her to eat, and now she won't touch anything else. I offered her crickets, phoenix, and horn worms today but she turned her head at all of them. I caved and cut a massive superworm in half and gave it to her. She does seem to eat her veggies OK.

Obv. I don't want to feed her any more supers. Should I just hold my ground and only feed the dubias, phoenix, crickets, and hope she finally breaks down and starts eating them? Thanks!
Targ
Newbie Poster

Re: Baby Dragon Addicted to Supers -_-

Postby CooperDragon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Is she otherwise healthy and active? They can be stubborn so I'd hold off and just offer the other bugs. Those are good options and if she's otherwise healthy she'll go after them eventually. With such a young dragon keep a close eye on weight and look for lethargic behavior or a black beard which could indicate an underlying health problem.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby Targ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Cooper - yup, she's acting normal! Had a scare for about a week, she wouldn't eat. It was bc I had the wrong bulb in, d'oh! Once it was fixed, I was giving her a few supers to further "tempt" her into eating. She still goes for her veggies too. Usually collards, squash, zuccini.
Targ
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:13 pm

At 3 months old , she's way to undeveloped to handle mealworms and superworms.

Cut them from her diet for now and substitute silkworms instead. If see loves supers , she'll go nuts for silkworms.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born 9/2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby Targ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:55 am

I cant find silkworms ANYWHERE in stock!
Targ
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 am

They tend to be seasonal and disappear from all the stores from time to time which is why I use them as a supplemental feeder. Just keep checking back every couple of weeks and they'll be available again depending on the growth cycles at the vendors. They tend to be a bit more scarce during the winter months.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby Targ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Cooper, I found one today! I placed an order and they should be here by the end of the week.

I'm also getting some dubias in the mail tomorrow, hoping she'll go for those.
Targ
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:41 am

CooperDragon wrote:They tend to be seasonal and disappear from all the stores from time to time which is why I use them as a supplemental feeder. Just keep checking back every couple of weeks and they'll be available again depending on the growth cycles at the vendors. They tend to be a bit more scarce during the winter months.

Silkworm eggs and silkworm chow in powder form should be available year round , they are easy to hatch and raise from eggs on nuked chow only.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born 9/2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby phobosdthorga » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:48 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Silkworm eggs and silkworm chow in powder form should be available year round , they are easy to hatch and raise from eggs on nuked chow only.

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'nuked' chow? I've been thinking of raising silkworm eggs myself given the current availability of mulberry leaves in the local area. Of course, that's a seasonal thing.
There is a bad batch of 90 cm ReptiSun Hood Reflectors going around for new stock! Read this thread here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1826231

Please consider this thread before the purchase/use of probiotics and/or pollen products: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=237674
phobosdthorga
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 pm

It's a dry mixture that you mix with water and heat up. Then it solidifies into a chunk that you can feed them instead of mulberry leaves. I usually mix it on the stovetop but I suppose nuking in a microwave would work too. It freezes pretty well so you can make a bunch at once to last a while. It's commonly used here in the US with less availability of mulberry leaves. I don't know that I've ever seen a mulberry tree. If you can get fresh leaves it's probably better though.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Return to Health