Still won't heat his veggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLB85

May guy is 5 months old now. I know when they are growing they need lots of protein and he sure does love his protein! He gets a mix of crickets, butter worms, roaches and hornworms. I offer him a fresh salad daily with a variety of mustards, arugula, dandelion, etc. and even enticing goodies like raspberry on top or squash, pear, carrot, etc. Nothing seems to get him to dig in. He has on rare occasions, eaten a few bites, but it's very rare. I'm worried that I'm going to have a big problem transitioning into the salad life when he gets older. I don't really want to starve him out yet to get him to eat his salad, because he's still growing. What should I do??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like you're offering a great variety. I'd just keep doing what you're doing. The crickets and roaches will probably take care of the leftovers happily. He may not show much interest in salad until his growth slows at around 12-18 months and that's fine as long as it's available and familiar.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Some people have had luck with cutting veggies like squash into worm shapes to entice baby beardies to give them a try. I’ve also seen a video where someone kept swiveling/moving a plate of greens until the movement caught the baby’s interest and compelled him to chow down (the beardie’s inner thought process: “Hey, that green stuff is moving...and the bugs I love move...I should probably eat those green leaf bugs.” ). Another trick that works for some: drop feeders like Phoenix worms directly onto his greens. Inevitably he’ll go for a big and get a mouthful of greens in the process (this worked for a friend’s juvenile beardie and eventually he didn’t have to do the drop trick anymore because the dragon developed a taste for veggies and sought them out on his own). Another method: an hour after the lights go on place an assortment of greens in the enclosure and hold off on bugs until he nibbles on some veggies. Every dragon is different and sometimes you have to get creative when it comes to convincing them that salad isn’t just in their cage to look pretty. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom