D3 Overdose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kryptozic

Hi. I've been on this website for over an hour juts finding tricks and tips for beardies, when I stumpled upon an article about a D3 overdose. I realized that I, made a huge mistake. I've been feeding my bearded dragon 9-10 dubia roaches everyday (and salad), and all I've been using is D3 on the insects. Every single day. I read that I need multivitamins too and I shouldn't give him d3 everyday. Can someone educate me on this? I haven't had him for too long so I think there's still time to fix my my mistake before anything major happens.
Beardie:
Male
6 months old
10 inch (tip to snout)
No unusual behavior, active and alert.
Lighting:
150 Watt Zoo-Med Repti-Basking Spot (Temps. 95-107)
10.0 T5 Ho UVB Flourescent Lamp 24W
Feeding:
9-10 Dubia Roaches A DAY
Salad: Kale and Bell peppers everyday

The dubia's get D3 dusting everyday, no other supplements. Please help me, I feel like a fool.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I used to feed my adults up until 2-3 months ago with D3 calcium all the time on calcium days since i got them and their doing good. Of course ive switched over to regular calcium without D3 now once i learned the same thing. Best thing to do would be going out and getting repti-cal calcium without d3 and repti-cal multivitamins. You gonna wanna dust the calcium 5 times a week with multivitamins 2 times a week.
As for the food your giving him, the dubia roaches are very good feeders, however at his age he would probably eat more than just 8-10. Your going to want to feed him twice a day with however many he wants in 10-15 minutes. Also i'd stop feeding him kale every single day as kale is probably one of the worst veggies you could offer. Try and see if you can get collard greens, turnip greens or mustard greens.http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html this is a good link to see various other foods an how much to feed of them.

Hi guys,

I just realised that my calcium powder has some D3 in it - however I haven't noticed any negative signs in my beardie - what would be the overdosage please? thanks x

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you have a 10% or better (12% or even 14%) T5HO UVB tube in a reflector hood mounted the correct distance from the basking spot ( to give about 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking and about 100 microW UVB / sq.cm elsewhere , the artificial VitD3 is not needed.

Prolonged overdosing with artificial VitD3 given orally will eventually result in a condition called Hypervitaminosis D ( vitamin D3 toxicity ) , the main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia) .

I advise careful when using vitD3 fortified calcium if your dragon has access to very good levels of UVB.
I don't use vitD3 fortified colloidal calcium powder for that reason, I opt for the non-vitD3 fortified version.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Does anyone have a good source of ultrafine calcium powder that they use, which doesn't contain Vitamin D3? It needs to be available in Australia, alas. But I use an MVB and a Arcadia 14% fluorescent tube in my vivarium, to simulate the Australian desert sun as closely as possible.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm here in the US, but I think you should be able to find Repcal Calcium over there. A brand
called Vetark is also sold over there, which you could check on pure calcium without D3, too.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
phobosdthorga":2369z6fw said:
Does anyone have a good source of ultrafine calcium powder that they use, which doesn't contain Vitamin D3? It needs to be available in Australia, alas. But I use an MVB and a Arcadia 14% fluorescent tube in my vivarium, to simulate the Australian desert sun as closely as possible.

Zoo Med has the choice pure colloidal calcium or vitD3 fortified colloidal calcium in large 8oz or smaller 4oz (?) jars , you can buy it online from most the usual sellers here (in Australia) , BUT specify what you want. Called REPTI-CALCIUM , even came with a handy little plastic scoop in the jar.

Last time I bought a jar it was an 8oz jar and this was in early 2016. I'm still going with this one.

I used AristoPet Repti-Cal for nearly 8 years until they cheaped out their process and started shipping jars which has large ( PLUS 250 micron ) razor sharp shards of oyster shell mixed through the powder and I even found magnetic shards of metal in one jar, so I was screening magnetically and then through a flour sieve and only using the MINUS 250 micron fraction and throwing out the oversize as I found to hard to grind in herb mill.
I complained to the seller , and they fogged me off , so I complained to the manufacturer who told me they'd changed their process and the shards are not harmful to my pet lizards --- I DON"T THINK SO - so I abandoned the product and now tell everyone .

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":37yc5ejj said:
phobosdthorga":37yc5ejj said:

Zoo Med has the choice pure colloidal calcium or vitD3 fortified colloidal calcium in large 8oz or smaller 4oz (?) jars , you can buy it online from most the usual sellers here (in Australia) , BUT specify what you want. Called REPTI-CALCIUM , even came with a handy little plastic scoop in the jar.

Last time I bought a jar it was an 8oz jar and this was in early 2016. I'm still going with this one.

I used AristoPet Repti-Cal for nearly 8 years until they cheaped out their process and started shipping jars which has large ( PLUS 250 micron ) razor sharp shards of oyster shell mixed through the powder and I even found magnetic shards of metal in one jar, so I was screening magnetically and then through a flour sieve and only using the MINUS 250 micron fraction and throwing out the oversize as I found to hard to grind in herb mill.
I complained to the seller , and they fogged me off , so I complained to the manufacturer who told me they'd changed their process and the shards are not harmful to my pet lizards --- I DON"T THINK SO - so I abandoned the product and now tell everyone .

I sort of see the product you describe in question: http://www.livefoods.com.au/accesso...supplements/zoo-med-repti-calcium-with-d3-8oz

I just checked a few of the online stores I frequent and none of them sell it without D3. No matter, I'll do a more thorough search with Google when the time comes that I can afford it, thank you ^ ^

But wow! I don't want to imagine what those razor sharp shards would do to a Beardies GI tract. If not rough it up, then cause some serious harm. Why would there be magnetic iron filings present though? Is it because oysters are benthic? So many individuals have NO REGARD for the welfare of animals.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
phobosdthorga":38atl8nh said:
kingofnobbys":38atl8nh said:
phobosdthorga":38atl8nh said:

I sort of see the product you describe in question: http://www.livefoods.com.au/accesso...supplements/zoo-med-repti-calcium-with-d3-8oz

I just checked a few of the online stores I frequent and none of them sell it without D3. No matter, I'll do a more thorough search with Google when the time comes that I can afford it, thank you ^ ^

But wow! I don't want to imagine what those razor sharp shards would do to a Beardies GI tract. If not rough it up, then cause some serious harm. Why would there be magnetic iron filings present though? Is it because oysters are benthic? So many individuals have NO REGARD for the welfare of animals.

When I spotted the bits of black raser sharp stuff when I opened a new bottle , and suspected metal so ran a magnet over wrapped in printer paper over it and it picked it up, but some wasn't so got out the wife's old flour sieve and (not a mechanical one) and shook the stuff about to extract the large shards (and took a look with microscope and they looked like shards of silver glass).
This really upset me , as at the time I had two baby beardies (Puff & Rex) & may to bluetongues and a water skink as pets and I was dusting their salads .

I contacted the supplier ( that mob in Sydney and lodged a complaint ) and was promptly fogged off , so I looked up the manufacturer and made enquiries .

Seems to me I was talking by email to someone who couldn't care less about anything but sales and covering his companies arse . They tried to tell me they eat sand and stones and it doesn't harm them at all .... Totally clueless and didn't care if it would harm the lizards who ingest it.

Well I was roapable after that.

Try this https://vitamingrocer.com.au/products/zoo-med-laboratories-repti-calcium-without-d3-12-oz-340-g-313969?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=pla&utm_content=313969&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1erW--LK1wIVY2i9Ch2HLQaXEAQYAyABEgJXgfD_BwE

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":3q8szvb1 said:
When I spotted the bits of black raser sharp stuff when I opened a new bottle , and suspected metal so ran a magnet over wrapped in printer paper over it and it picked it up, but some wasn't so got out the wife's old flour sieve and (not a mechanical one) and shook the stuff about to extract the large shards (and took a look with microscope and they looked like shards of silver glass).
This really upset me , as at the time I had two baby beardies (Puff & Rex) & may to bluetongues and a water skink as pets and I was dusting their salads .

I contacted the supplier ( that mob in Sydney and lodged a complaint ) and was promptly fogged off , so I looked up the manufacturer and made enquiries .

Seems to me I was talking by email to someone who couldn't care less about anything but sales and covering his companies arse . They tried to tell me they eat sand and stones and it doesn't harm them at all .... Totally clueless and didn't care if it would harm the lizards who ingest it.

Try this https://vitamingrocer.com.au/products/zoo-med-laboratories-repti-calcium-without-d3-12-oz-340-g-313969?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=pla&utm_content=313969&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1erW--LK1wIVY2i9Ch2HLQaXEAQYAyABEgJXgfD_BwE

Thank you so much! You didn't have to but I appreciate it anyway, plus they're so cheap! Do you and anyone else recommend that a multivitamin [ 1 ] is necessary as well? Especially if Vitamin D3 overdose is a very real possibility? Of course, you wouldn't give the multivitamin every day, but only maybe once or twice a week.

[ 1 ] - https://vitamingrocer.com.au/produc...ivite-multivitamin-313551?variant=44846997965

I think I have heard of AristoPet before as they sell pet food and such in the supermarket too. But why on earth would there be silver glass present? The only reason I can think of is that something went terribly wrong in the manufacturing process for that particular batch, but quality assurance should've caught that out. Clearly there is no quality assurance, or a dire lack of proper QA, for both this brand and/or product in question.

That list you sent me of who to avoid has been VERY useful, thank you. I'd normally argue that the list should be in the wider domain of general Bearded Dragon knowledge but I can understand why you'd be hesistant to publish it publically, especially from a legal standpoint.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
phobosdthorga":12o9ogxe said:
kingofnobbys":12o9ogxe said:

Thank you so much! You didn't have to but I appreciate it anyway, plus they're so cheap! Do you and anyone else recommend that a multivitamin [ 1 ] is necessary as well? Especially if Vitamin D3 overdose is a very real possibility? Of course, you wouldn't give the multivitamin every day, but only maybe once or twice a week.

[ 1 ] - https://vitamingrocer.com.au/produc...ivite-multivitamin-313551?variant=44846997965

<<< I am still using AristoPet Repti-Vite powder , only because the bottle not empty yet , it's very fine.
I will likely abandon AristoPet products entirely when I finish that bottle.

I think I have heard of AristoPet before as they sell pet food and such in the supermarket too. But why on earth would there be silver glass present? The only reason I can think of is that something went terribly wrong in the manufacturing process for that particular batch, but quality assurance should've caught that out. Clearly there is no quality assurance, or a dire lack of proper QA, for both this brand and/or product in question.
<<<<<<<<<<<< I am only describing what it looked like under the microscope and magnifying glass, they told me these were shards of mother of pearl (from inside the oyster shells that crush to make their product, I was told by one of their "engineers" as I approached with them with targeted engineering question about their process ( acceptable particle sizes , I asked if 30% +250microm was inside their KPIs , and how they control the quality of their product .
Was informed that the process had been "simplified and they are now allowing larger particles to be reach the bottling line - less product wastage and less recycling of over size product material for regrinding and they wont be changing the process".

That list you sent me of who to avoid has been VERY useful, thank you. I'd normally argue that the list should be in the wider domain of general Bearded Dragon knowledge but I can understand why you'd be hesistant to publish it publically, especially from a legal standpoint.

<<<< I've given it widely to very many noobs here and at the BTS board. I've not concern there as it's based on FACTS , not rumours or spin.
I could care less about foreign / overseas companies and local Australian ones are welcome to try to prove me wrong any time. They never have .

Good luck to them tracking my realworld name and address down from messageboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom