Use of drawing needles and syringes to make dilute honey

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Took a fresh 1ml syringe with the 18G (pink) drawing up needle from the dilute honey syringe attached, draw about 0.8 ml of honey (very slow as very viscous) into the new syringe.
The I pulled the plunger on the dilute honey solution needle all the way back to create a large void in the needle (nozzle pointed up) , and using the drawing up needle inserted into the dilute honey needle's chamber I discharged 0.3ml of pure manuka honey into the dilute honey chamber.

Calculation of concentration:
Start volume of 1:4 solution of manuka honey in saline = 0.5ml
End volume = 0.8ml
Added 0.3 ml pure manuka honey

Will try a 14G drawing up needle next time I need to draw up pure honey , the larger bore will help achieve a good flow and larger surface for the syringe vacuum created to suck the honey into the syringe's chamber.

0.5ml of 1:4 honey == 0.5/4 = 0.125ml honey

Total honey in dilute honey syringe = 0.3 + 0.125 = 0.425ml
Conc honey = 0.425/0.8 = 0.53 ==> 1:2 , so I've essentially doubled the concentration of honey in the solution.

I found the concentration seems to have more stiction ==> stays put
+
Is less runny , more viscous than the 1:4 solution which essentially flows like water and has similar surface tension and spreading characteristics.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good use of honey, I've been using it for many years + in place of all antibiotic ointments, including directly in the eye on my dragons. Just an FYI for those who don't know, any raw , unpasteurized honey can be used, it does not need to be Manuka....if you have a beekeeper in your area then local honey is fine. Most health stores sell unpasteurized honey as well. I mix mine at a ratio of 1 part honey ,2 parts water or 1:3 honey water. Then I use a Q-tip to dab it wherever it's needed, including the eye. You can simply mix it it any small, clean plastic lid. So water can be used instead of saline, it has worked wonderfully for me . Here's all you need :
First pic is the honey alone:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30041/full

Then mixed with 2 parts water :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30012/full

This works very well to get it in any cuts, esp. around the neck or crevices of the leg. Just don't let beardie get a bite of it, they love the taste !

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Great post Knobby's, I've been using some raw, unpasteurized honey on a few little scratches, cuts, etc. on both by dragons and my parrots, though I'm still not using it in place of ALL antibiotic ointments and such, I'm not yet that Holistic, lol...maybe some day, but not yet...the fact that I'm using a natural remedy in place of any antibiotic ointments or medical treatments at all is a huge step and almost a miracle, lol, so I'm getting there. Slowly. :banghead:

Just another FYI about raw, unpasteurized honey or Makuna honey for people who are reading this thread, I know that I've spoken to a few people on the forum who refuse to buy it because it's more expensive than buying a tube of generic, store-brand Triple Antibiotic Ointment, especially since you can now go to any Dollar Tree in the country and buy a large tube of Triple Antibiotic Ointment for $1, along with rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Betadine, Hibiclens, etc. all for only $1. And it's true that if you buy raw, unpasteurized honey from pretty much any "Health Food" store or from a local beekeeper it's going to be expensive. Some people don't have an extra $7-$10 or more for a bottle of raw honey, but they do have $1 for a tube of Neosporin at DollarTree. I totally understand that, I have many, many friends who are in that situation. However, I found something out that a lot of people don't realize...

I have a natural/holistic and health food store right in my neighborhood that is privately owned by a woman and her father, it's called "Nature's Pantry" (I don't know if it's a chain or not, I don't think so though). It's a pretty huge store and they have EVERYTHING, literally everything. From medicine and every single natural supplement, herb, oil, etc. to frozen meat that is locally hunted, she has everything. And if she doesn't have it she will order it for you and have it for you within a day or two. Now I don't go there often because #1) It's expensive as hell, and #2) I'm not a vegan, nor do I typically buy organic products or natural health products at all.

However, I do run up there once a month to buy tea. She has the largest selection of loose-leaf and bagged tea I've ever seen, even more than our local Wegmans has, and they have an entire "tea room". So I do buy some tea there on a monthly basis, she is now the only place that I can locally buy Yerba Mate Tea from since Wegmans stopped selling it. Anyway, when I'm there I typically talk to her or her father about our pets, and when I was there last month I asked her a question about raw honey that has been bugging me and I kept forgetting to look up.

I always see bottles of "Raw, UNFILTERED" honey, but I had no idea if "Unfiltered" meant the same thing as "Unpasteurized"...well she filled me in. She told me that any honey that is labeled as being "RAW" is by default unpasteurized, which makes total sense, and why I didn't think of it that way I have no idea. If the honey is raw then it couldn't have been pasteurized. So the label of being "Raw and Unpasteurized" is redundant. The term "Unfiltered" is also sort of redundant when used with "Raw", because if it's "Raw" then that means it hasn't been processed in any way, including filtering it. So the bottom line is that any honey that is labeled "Raw" can be used as a topical antibiotic, along with the slew of other uses for raw honey.

This means that you can go to any Walmart and buy a pretty large bottle of "Raw, Unfiltered" Honey for around $3. That makes it much more affordable for people to start using. I bought a huge bottle of it at Walmart last week, I forget the brand but it's a massive bottle of Raw Honey, and I only spent $7 on it, and it will last me quite a long time.

I just want people to know that you do not need to go to a special Health Food store or a local organic farm or beekeeper and spend a lot of money in order to buy a bottle of Raw Honey to use for yourself or your Bearded Dragon, as I have been told many times by people that "I'm can't spend $10 on a bottle of Raw Honey" or similar. You can go to any Walmart (and most likely any grocery store, I just point out Walmart because it's about as inexpensive as it gets for most things) and buy a bottle of "Raw, Unfiltered" Honey for as low as $3. And it's a pretty large bottle that will last you a long time. Walmart keeps all of their honey with the Peanut Butter, FYI.

Just make sure that whatever brand you buy that the label says "RAW", "RAW AND UNFILTERED", "RAW AND UNPASTEURIZED", OR "MAKUNA". These are all the same thing and will be effective.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Actually Manuka is different, the reason I pointed it out is that some people + websites claim that it is better than other raw honey. Manuka honey is only derived from the Manuka tree in Australia + New Zealand. But any raw honey can be used and is very affordable, I guess especially from Walmart. :) I continue to use the words " raw + unpasterized " so people understand that it being unpasteurized is why it's effective compared to much of the store bought honey that IS pasteurized. Many people will say " the bottle says pure honey ". but it must say either raw or unpasteurixed, not just pure.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Good points .

I use the Manuka honey because I have a couple of tubes of Activon Medihoney on hand and there are problems here with health food shops and grocery stores misrepresenting run of the mill honey which has simply been relabeled as raw/unpasturised honey.

I really didn't mind paying for the tubes of Activon Medihoney as part of one my regular orders of bulk dressings for my "saddle sores" and just never got around to using the stuff on myself as the visiting wound care nurses "poo pooed" the idea in favour of Inodine and Woundaid which they all swore by.

Beauty of doing the dilution in syringes is you can be accurate and make up a larger amount than you will use for the treatment and the drawing up needles come with little slip over caps so the who solution can be kept for sealed in the syringe for days.
I'm doing the same with Critta Care - which I keep in a sealed syringe in the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom