when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":22f07dli said:
Poor guy. Major shedding project and massive springtime overdose of hormones all at the same time. Can't blame him for being grumpy. He deserved a silkworm treat. Glad he's feeling better. :)

Bit grumpy and highly sprung today , so fed him and let him go on the floor to let off some steam, visited Peppa who simply stared at him and played hard to get today.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess we're lucky that our beardie doesn't go through any major personality changes when he's shedding either, only when he's hormonal, and even then, not too bad for too long. :)

I suppose that skinks have an easier time shedding then bearded dragons because their skin is a lot smoother. I've noted that the spikey beardie scales tend to be a sticking place, especially the large ones by their ears and along their sides. The skin that sheds seems to be wrapped around the spikes like shrink wrap.

Our reptile vet warned us that bearded dragons aren't like snakes when they shed, but I never expected a beardie to be able to pull it all off in one piece like a stocking the way a snake can.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
He's got a bad case of the itchies today, rubbing his head and chin and nose on everything in sight especially everything with a hard rough textured surface.

Peppa in mega tail shed too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Two moody beardies today, Peppa and Toothless are both in shed.

Made Toothless a bit nutty , while Peppa is also a bit hyper too.

Both demanded daddy snuggles this evening.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess about the only good thing about shedding is that it doesn't last forever.

At least they both still like to cuddle. :love5: :love5:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Bit's of loose skin hanging off both them today, and Toothless really grumpy (even hissed at me and momentarily BBed at me til I poked a cricket in the mouth).

He's been crawling around rubbing his itchy tummy on the carpet this afternoon and not been a happy boy.

Meanwhile Peppa looks the same , bit of loose shed skin dangling off her but she's still sweet natured and just wants snuggles.

We'll all be happy when this current simultaneous shedding is over and we return to normal.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":22e5eabf said:
At least you can still pacify him with crickets. :)
Yep , he loves his crickets , and now he's the one who loves his silkworms (he hardly even chews them and still winds up with green dribbling down his chin . He used to only eat silkworms under sufferance , now he loves them.

Bits of shed all over his face and nose and lips and eyelids today .... he was up late last night scratching away / rubbing his head on his twigs and bits of bark and edges of his hubbahut , left bits if shed all over his tank and hubbahut.

Same with Peppa.

Now George is dulling up, so he'll be shedding soon , fortunately the skinks have an easier time of shedding than the beardies do, it all comes off on one day.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Beardies are really rather poorly "designed" when it comes to shedding. All those little spikey scales make it pretty difficult. :(

Snakes have it easy, on the other hand. When all goes well, our corn snake can peel his all off in one long piece, and he can usually get it all done in no more than an hour. But he's 15 years old now, so he's done it many times and has lots of experience. Our beardie, on the other hand, almost always seems to have a little patch somewhere that's getting ready to come off someday... :roll:

At the rate they're going, it sounds like your little group should be all done with the worst of it in a few days. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Think I'll break out the HerpaShed tomorrow for Toothless, to help with the sticky sheddy bits on his back and tail .... he hates even the loosest bits being lifted off .... ( If there's any resistance I let it be ).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So do you find those store bought shedding aids to be helpful and worth the money?

Both of our reptiles have been through some messy sheds, but so far it's never been anything that a good soak in warm tap water couldn't fix. I've also heard that some people use things like olive or coconut oil to help with stubborn sheds.

All the "experts" will tell you not to try and pull it off, but it's really hard to resist the temptation when it's hanging off of them in shreds and appears to be driving them crazy.

Our beardie has had a half finished shed going on his tail for some time now, but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm (no apparent constriction) or bothering him, so I just let it be. I can also still see the boundaries on his back and sides where some parts have shed more recently than others, if I look really close. The colors are just a little more vibrant where the latest shed has already happened. His skin sets its own boundaries and has its own ideas about when and where it's going to shed, and we all just have to go with the flow -- the beardie himself as well as his human slaves. Fortunately, he's a lot like Peppa -- seems to take it all in stride. No major personality changes with shedding, only with hormones in the spring. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":1mdn2aut said:
So do you find those store bought shedding aids to be helpful and worth the money? <<< Only one I've used (very occasionally) in HerpaShed , helped moisten and separate some adherent shed on Rex once or twice.

Both of our reptiles have been through some messy sheds, but so far it's never been anything that a good soak in warm tap water couldn't fix. I've also heard that some people use things like olive or coconut oil to help with stubborn sheds.

All the "experts" will tell you not to try and pull it off, but it's really hard to resist the temptation when it's hanging off of them in shreds and appears to be driving them crazy.
<<< yep - sure is, Toothless seems to be having a difficult time with his tail shed this time , where as Peppa has some stubborn shed on the whiskers under her throat and on her thighs.

They are both leaving bits of skin all and Toothless seeks out any hard sharp corners he can find to have a right royal rub on.

Our beardie has had a half finished shed going on his tail for some time now, but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm (no apparent constriction) or bothering him, so I just let it be. I can also still see the boundaries on his back and sides where some parts have shed more recently than others, if I look really close. The colors are just a little more vibrant where the latest shed has already happened. His skin sets its own boundaries and has its own ideas about when and where it's going to shed, and we all just have to go with the flow -- the beardie himself as well as his human slaves. Fortunately, he's a lot like Peppa -- seems to take it all in stride. No major personality changes with shedding, only with hormones in the spring. :)
<<< Our skinks (wild and pets) and beardies are very confused about the weather lately, just like us (heatwave last week, like winter this week (and been bucketing down for 3 days) .... add the hormone thing and the boys are a bit nutty and hyper and have been for about a month.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I hope Toothless doesn't hurt himself with all that rubbing on sharp objects. Maybe he would do better to let his human slave pull the shedding skin off for him after all.

Our weather is doing more or less the opposite of yours, of course, over here on the other side of the world, and at least long term. It looks like we may get some more snow today. At this point, temperatures anywhere above freezing would be considered a "heat wave" for us, and just about anything that falls out of the sky is going to be more or less frozen. Both reptiles are still awake, but not super active. Good for cuddles. :love5:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
My wife has been trying to keep Toothless out the kitchen dining area, after Toothless discovered all the pretty floral design bowls and plates on the bottom shelf of the corner under bench cabinet and was climbing in there to look at all pretty flowers enameled on the them.
Putting the 30L filing tub I sort the crickets in to block him no longer works , he simply pushes it out of the way and gains access the "NAUGHTY PLACE".

So we've been closing the hall door and using the cardboard box that's about 1.2m L x 8in tall x 3in wide as a barrier to keep Toothless out the kitchen .... he has not liked it,visits Peppa and flirts with her then he's been obsessing about the barrier , yesterday he managed climb on top and into the kitchen in a flash .... my wife was not amused and promptly chased him down and moved him back into lounge room and he wound up sulking under the old display cabinet .
Today he was up and over the same barrier 4 times and finally my wife took the hint and let him enjoy the cool lino which is what he wanted to do.

So 1 for Toothless , and my wife has lost that argument. I've explained to her that all his life since he was about 6 months old and big enough to safely roam the floor he's been allowed into the kitchen and he knows it and regards that as his territory and so he's been acting up because he has been denied access to a big part of his fun floor exploring area.

In fact he was so keen to visit Peppa and then get into the kitchen that he could hardly contain himself to eat his crickets and greens - been really good on the greens lately.

Peppa & Toothless are 2 years old tomorrow near as I can reckon it - feast of yummy silkworms , superworms and some treats for them are in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom