new Viv setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum as well as soon to be new Beardy owner :)

I am preparing the enclosure before i get the BD, and have some questions related to the setup.

The Viv will have
Exo Terra 36x18x24
Substrate will be excavator clay molded over the foam you see in the images.
4x 23w 10.0 in the main fixture ( only have 2 at the moment)
1x 160w Mega ray in the basking spot area ( tryed a 100w and it dosent get nearly hot enough)
1x Exo Terra Light Dome Fixture, 18 cm (basking)
1x Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer center of the viv
2x Exo Terra Digital Thermometer (one for cool side and one for basking)

My question are mainly about the lights.
Are the 4 UVB's Enough with the mesh for this setup, or shoud i cut the mesh under the UVB's out?
is any heat needed for night time, maybe a Ceramic emiter?

20171103_143354.jpg

20171106_095208.jpg

20171106_095243%20(1).jpg

20171106_095301.jpg

Hope you like how its coming together and any recommendations will be appreciated
regards

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Everything sounds good except im not so sure about those coil bulbs as they have been known to cause eye problems and they dont do anything honestly unless the beardie can get within 4-6 inches of the light. I'd say see if you can get a refund on them and get a proper tube light, reptisun t5 ho 10.0 or one of the arciadia bulbs. Though im not sure if having more will effect if uvb is emitted at all or not like the regular one bulb people usually have for those coils. Also heat emitters for night is probably the best source as they dont produce light, but generally they dont need to be used unless it gets below 65.

PauloLataes

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast reply.

Thats one of thw reasons i got a mvb bulb for the basking spot. To help out with the uvb.

Cant get a refund on the fixture now :(

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Ah okay, well hopefully the mvb will be good enough. I use tube lights for basically all my reptiles,my beardies have tube lights, blue tongue and then even though she doesnt need it, one tube light over my ball python just to add some light. Only one without a tube light is my tegu, still looking into better mvb or if solar glo is sufficient enough though. At least the coil bulbs will brighten the enclosure up more.

PauloLataes

Original Poster
I have to see if i can get a cool piece of a tree to get hit higher to the coils.
Do you have to give any treatments to wood?

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
VenusAndSaturn":cnfmhk0e said:
Ah okay, well hopefully the mvb will be good enough. I use tube lights for basically all my reptiles,my beardies have tube lights, blue tongue and then even though she doesnt need it, one tube light over my ball python just to add some light. Only one without a tube light is my tegu, still looking into better mvb or if solar glo is sufficient enough though. At least the coil bulbs will brighten the enclosure up more.

From research, I believe that the Exo-Terra "Solar Glo" 125 W MVB produces more UVB [ 1 ] than a 86 cm ReptiSun 10.0 T5 HO UVB Tube [ 2 ]. The MVB does an extremely good job simulating the sun.

[ 1 ] - http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php
[ 2 ] - http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...-lamp-and-50-uvb-lamp-product-review-part-ii/

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah from what ive heard MVB are really good, only thing that makes me uneasy about them honestly is the fact heat and uvb is combined together, but mostly the humming noise it makes. My tube lights never do it but my MVB bulb always has this humming noise. Which is causing my mom to fear that something bad will happen.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
VenusAndSaturn":18j84tvu said:
Yeah from what ive heard MVB are really good, only thing that makes me uneasy about them honestly is the fact heat and uvb is combined together, but mostly the humming noise it makes. My tube lights never do it but my MVB bulb always has this humming noise. Which is causing my mom to fear that something bad will happen.

That could be due to the alternating current that is passing through the filament. Self-ballasted mercury vapour bulbs have a filament that is connected in series with the arc tube so that it effectively functions as an electrical ballast. There is nothing to fear from this, if my theory is correct.

PauloLataes

Original Poster
For the Mega Ray bulb

160 Watts - MINIMUM distance setting of 18" will produce approximately 150-200 microwatts per square centimeter (uW/cm2) of UVB and 900-1200uW/cm2 of UVA. MAXIMUM distance setting of 24" will produce 50-75 microwatts per square centimeter (uW/cm2) of UVB. (Distance is measured from lamp face to basking spot or reptile for optimum UVB and heat.

Does this seem right?

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
PauloLataes":2x275gn8 said:
For the Mega Ray bulb

160 Watts - MINIMUM distance setting of 18" will produce approximately 150-200 microwatts per square centimeter (uW/cm2) of UVB and 900-1200uW/cm2 of UVA. MAXIMUM distance setting of 24" will produce 50-75 microwatts per square centimeter (uW/cm2) of UVB. (Distance is measured from lamp face to basking spot or reptile for optimum UVB and heat.

Does this seem right?

I'm not sure about UVA but for UVB, yes, that does sound about right. Here are figures for the UVB rating with the Exo-Terra "Solar Glo" MVBs: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php

PauloLataes

Original Poster
hi everyone.

Just wanted to post some update pics.

20171111_172057.jpg

20171111_172442.jpg

20171111_172449.jpg

20171111_172509.jpg

20171111_172519.jpg

20171111_172540.jpg

Still missing my basking MegaRay 160w, hopefully arriving this week.

Hope you like it....all ideas appreciated

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
PauloLataes":3q0rmmyv said:
hi everyone.

Just wanted to post some update pics.

Still missing my basking MegaRay 160w, hopefully arriving this week.

Hope you like it....all ideas appreciated

That looks amazing! Just how did you do the ground/substrate, if I may ask? And what is it made of?

PauloLataes

Original Poster
That looks amazing! Just how did you do the ground/substrate, if I may ask? And what is it made of?

Hi.
Thanks. Its made of excavator clay. On the images its still wet. I think it will get a lighter Brow when dry. Munday i will post the pic

Regards

PauloLataes

Original Poster
so here is the final setup.
Finally got the temps right. just missing my ceramic heater ant the thermostat for night as the temps drop to 50 here.
Day temps, 107 basking spot and 80 to 85 cold side
Should i remove the mesh under the uvb's?

20171118_124509.jpg

20171118_124520.jpg

20171118_124532.jpg

20171118_124601.jpg

20171118_130334.jpg

20171118_130355.jpg

Hope you like it.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom