Broly the new super saiyan beardie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It sounds like you and Tom have got the eagle well taken care of and comfortable.

I was surprised today when I looked out the window and noticed that all the snow was gone and it had "warmed up" (relatively speaking) to around 40. Windy too, so most of the leaves are off the trees. We're back in that grey nether season between the end of fall and the start of winter. We won't see temperatures anywhere near the 80s again till next summer.

Puff seems willing to snuggle up to a warm human body and zone out for longer than usual lately. I'll be happy if this is as close as he gets to brumation. I fed him a Repashy Grub Pie snack a little while ago. He gobbled it up with much enthusiasm and he's still giving me The Look like, "Are you sure you don't want to feed me some more of that?" I don't want to give him too much because things could get messy if I did. :wink:

We live in one of the few "low density" housing areas left in Anchorage -- small single family homes instead of duplexes, apartments, and condos -- a pleasantly shabby little neighborhood. We've had some issues with crime lately, but we're lucky enough to have pretty nice neighbors. My husband's church is about all that's left of my social life, even though I no longer believe in much of their theology -- long story. We're hoping to figure out a way to get together with at least some of our family around the holidays, but he's not getting any extra time off this year so it's not going to be easy. We used to go out to lunch or dinner every time someone had a birthday, but in the last few years it's been getting harder and harder to do that -- we're all getting older and less able. My husband's current work schedule doesn't help either. So usually an evening of TV watching and reptile cuddling is good enough. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Eagle is up every day and for longer than the previous day.
We're going to start rehabbing his wing before he starts flying. Idk if it's 6-8 wks for a wing to heal. If it's that long then he's stuck with us. I don't think he minds though. We had our female hawk, Belle on our arm (we use gloves in case she wants to perch on us) and she was happily making caw noises. She feeds herself when she visits. She doesn't need people to feed her. She took flight and we let Eagle out and he was happy to have his turn. He does nuzzles with his beak to our nose. He trusts us that much. When he goes home wherever he's come from because like I said eagles are rare here. He has a long way to travel back so if thats the case, he won't visit us often.

I don't say this much, but I do ride my horse, Loki. He was my uncle's before he went into trucking business. Since we live in the woods (practically) we have a horse stall on our property. We got wild geese which are illegal to kill keepin my horse company. Nobody is going to hurt each other.

I took both dragons out today. They didn't want to be out. I put them back, made salads nobody ate. I lied in bed with Dewey. CJ doesn't care but at least he doesn't mess with the reptiles, parrot and our pocket pets. He doesn't mind it. Doors to reptile room closed anyway. Today is just a very busy day and my brain cant think anymore...

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I'm recovering from a "long" weekend -- no extra holidays, just a lot of crazy stuff going on.

At least Puff was nice enough to do his business in his bath on Saturday while we were changing out all the stuff in his tank, so everything stayed clean until yesterday afternoon when he had a little accident on the bottom of the tank. Oh well. You win some, you lose some. :mrgreen:

It sounds like you've totally made friends with that eagle. I think it takes about 6-8 weeks for broken bones to heal in humans (believe it or not, I've managed to make it to age 60 without ever having had a broken bone myself, "knock wood", so I have no personal experience), but I'm not sure about birds. Their bones are different than ours -- I understand that they're hollow, and that makes them lighter so it's easier for the bird to fly. But that probably makes the healing process a little different too.

I have a feeling that if I ever had an opportunity to interact with horses long enough to get used to the idea of being around an animal that's bigger and stronger than I am, I'd probably fall in love with them, because that's what has happened with just about every other animal I've been around, even rats. But so far, they've been mostly small ones. I don't think I'd want to ride horses, though. I'm so fat I'd be afraid I'd break their back. But I do think I might enjoy feeding them and combing their hair and walking them around (with all 6 of our feet on the ground) and things like that. Some people have horses here in Alaska, but we don't see them very often. We do see lots of geese though, at least in the summer.

My brain gets fried too when I get too many things going at once. Sometimes I just have to sit down and "triage" my "to-do" list and go back to doing one thing at a time, and then when I get stuck and can't make myself do the next thing on the list, sometimes I just have to give myself permission to be a couch potato for a while. :wink:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

It's Halloween but I don't feel up to do anything. We're gonna shut off lights and sleep early. Im at my sister's house. Shes hosting a party. Jack will go trick or treating later. I might spend the night here. Tom will go home to take care of everyone and then come back. We'll head home early tomorrow morning if I stay here. The dragons don't care. I must have a dragon who doesn't care to snuggle unless power's out. Im not really sure whats wrong..Im not hungry (havent been all day), not nervous about anything nobody's sick at home. I love Halloween but I guess Im blah today. Maybe Im sick who knows. I'll try to eat something small just to get something in me. I slept all yesterday afternoon. Im up today no naps. I took care of the eagle, dragons, cats, dogs and some geckos. I'll go out with my nephew but I really wanna sleep. I honestly don't know why Im so sleepy but Im fighting it. Probably one of those days of course it lands on Halloween of all days. I'm gonna fight it to spend time with family and have fun with this day.

Interesting facts about birds bones thanks! I didn't know that.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You and me both. I get tired and don't want to do anything like that pretty often. We usually lock up and go to bed early on Halloween night -- nobody trick or treats in this neighborhood, but there are other activities for the kids around town. My husband's church does "trunk or treat" -- people park in the church parking lot and pass out treats from their trunks, and the kids get to trick or treat with people they know and trust. My husband had to get up early this morning so we went to bed fairly early last night. I thought Puff was too zoned out for his bedtime cuddle but he perked up when I went to turn the lights off so we did a little one. Squirmles finished processing his weekend meal (out the other end in the bath). So it was a pretty good day overall, but nothing spectacular for Halloween.

The local weatherman was out interviewing kids in costume in some of the neighborhoods that get a little more into it than ours does (giant spider on the front lawn, etc), and talking about how it was foggy and that would make for a nice Halloweeny atmosphere. The BBC channel did a selection of the spookiest Dr Who reruns all day, and I watched one that I hadn't seen before, or at least not recently enough to remember it. "Silence in the Library" and "Knock Knock" from the most recent season were included, of course, since those were some of the creepiest ones. But I ended up taking a nap in the middle of the day and not watching as many of them as I had originally planned. :sleepy2:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I stayed till 11 last night. We ended up driving home. It was dark in the house because the reptiles lights went off an hour ago. I crashed on the couch Tom was in bed LOL. I woke up at 8, fed Victor and changed his paper. I rinsed the perch he uses. I also gave him water. I got the tokay and gargoyle geckos what they need. Leos are sleeping. Skink got food. Pretty much everyone fed.

My nephew this year dressed as the 12th Dr, Capaldi. His friend dressed like Davison (5th dr). Someone did dress like the creeper from Jeepers Creepers. He had wings and everything...pretty awesome. Wish I could have taken pics of him. People did stop him to take pics and he'd spread out his wings and get the ninja star thing the creeper uses in the movie. I mean that guy did an awesome job portraying the monster in the movie. My sister's area is more lively than our street. I guess kids go elsewhere. I go to my sisters every year. My sister and her husband do great turning their garage into a mini haunted house for the kids. Since I was tired (like I hadn't slept in days), I stayed in the doorway of my sisters house watching kids scream in the haunted house and was in view to look at the tv playing Halloween H20. I mostly watched horror movies.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess we both managed to enjoy Halloween at least a little bit even though we were tired. Apparently there are still a few neighborhoods around here that get trick or treaters and other stuff going on, but nothing really spooky happened in our little neighborhood as usual.

That would be cool to get about a dozen people together and have each of them dress up as a different incarnation of The Doctor, and then they could all line up and go around in a big group... :D

It has continued to be foggy and grey around here since then. All the snow is gone and that's unusual for early November. I think they're predicting some more snow for maybe Sunday. I'm in no hurry. It's actually kind of pretty outside in a late fall -- almost winter sort of way, and not horribly cold yet -- right around freezing (that's not cold for Alaska).

Puff finished up the last of the Repashy Grub Pie that I had made up a couple of days ago. He goes nuts over that stuff. :blob5: I need to make up some more, and probably order another bottle somewhere along the line so we'll be stocked up. We're talking about raising our own roaches again too. I've almost got myself psyched up to give it a try.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Im no longer tired. I still dont know what that mess was.

PM is probably better. Im not a pg person .. Really need to tell you something...maybe later though.

I have been diagnosed at age 16, I was diagnosed with psychotic disorder. Basically can't tell difference between real and not. Im also not aware of my behavior. My pets keep me sane which is why I have lots. People however...they do not. The wrong ones tend to set me off. While right ones keep me on track. Which is why I didnt destroy that POS with the dog comment. my dad was there so he was lucky. If dad wasn't...he'd be gumming food. I just dont like many people at all. Im not a people person thanks to bullies. Whatever..I do like some, hate some and tolerate others. It's not my fault at all. I didn't ask to be born and certainly sometimes wish I wasn't. More of rant than responding. I hope this doesnt scare you off. I can be nice. If Im in the mood of "hate" I wouldnt be on. Unfortunately, nobody here would know my hate mood. Thats for PM Sue. I like you Sue, Deb and Tracie. AHBD is really cool. Cooperdragon is really cool too.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Feel free to PM me whenever you like, but don't worry if I don't answer for a day or two once in a while. Sometimes I'm not up to emailing or posting when I have one of my can't-make-myself-do-anything-or-think-much-about-anything episodes, but they usually don't last for more than a few days at the most -- sometimes only a few hours or even only a few minutes if I'm lucky.

If your posts are anything to go by, then I don't think you're a hateful or a mean person. You obviously love your family and your animals, just like I do and just like lots of other people do. I think my poor husband understands that when I fly into one of my fits of rage, it doesn't mean that I don't love him -- it just means that I'm frustrated and freaked out about something at that moment. I would suppose that your husband and your mother in law and other family members probably understand that about you too. I also think you're a good person and very intelligent, and the "hate moods" aren't who you are, it's just the way you're "wired".

I've daydreamed escapist science fiction and fantasy every since I was a little kid -- I had literally hundreds of imaginary friends, and I got along better with the imaginary ones than with the real ones, since imaginary friends always do what you want them to do, and they leave when you don't want them around anymore, unlike the real ones. :wink: I like to think that I always knew the difference, but then, if I really didn't, how would I know? :? The jury is still out about some of my religious experiences -- you know, nowadays, if you talk to God, it's called "prayer", but if God talks back to you, they call it "schizophrenia". :roll:

Bottom line: it doesn't scare me away. :) I also agree with you that Deb, Tracie, AHBD, and Cooperdragon are some of the good ones around here, and I don't need to put that in a PM because I don't mind if they read this. :mrgreen: There are a few others who can get a little critical sometimes (to say the least), but I try to give them a pass because it's often fairly obvious that they care a lot about the beardies and have strong opinions about what's good for them and what's not. But I also have to avoid people who are "toxic" to me in order to keep myself reasonably "sane" (whatever that is), and I do my best to wish those people well. I just don't want to be around them, and unfortunately, two of those kinds of people ended up being my supervisors at my last two jobs, and that's part of what ultimately took me out of the work force. Luckily, my husband is still willing and able to consistently perform to someone else's expectations even though he's had his share of mean supervisors, some of them even worse than the ones I've had. He's made of stronger stuff than I am.

I once had a psychotherapist tell me that I "always need to have a little critter to take care of," after he'd heard the story of the positive effect that it had on my emotions when we got Squirmles 15 years ago. But one is all it really takes -- if I had as many as you have, I'd probably be overwhelmed and go nuts. :shock: We're maxed out now with just two reptiles, plus Puff's little entourage of live crickets and roaches. But we love them both, and we're both committed to taking the best care of them that we possibly can until the end of their lives if we can get away with it. And sometimes animals can be better friends than people -- I totally get that.

We had a good day for critter care yesterday -- between the two of us (mostly thanks to my husband), we managed to get all the bare essentials done, even after a little shopping trip in the morning by my husband -- I wasn't quite up to going with him, but at least I managed to get it all put away when he got back. Puff and Squirmles both pooped in their baths -- easy cleanup, and Puff had a nice meal of crickets and roaches, and Daddy even managed to feed him a few bites of greens, which he grudgingly accepted, although I have to suppose that he would have preferred more bugs. :roll: But afterwards he still displayed interest in the mouse cable. Apparently, he still thinks it's a big long black worm, despite all our efforts to convince him otherwise. Daddy told him to go eat his veggies if he was still hungry, but of course he did not. He also watched me like a hawk when I was eating some little chocolate candies -- he probably thought they were roaches. :lol:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I was in a "psycho" mood that day. I pretty much told everyone what I wanted to do to someone. My dad said Im Jigsaw from Saw LOL. I just don't like someone. I'll tell you in PM. I wont go nasty in PM. I have deep hate for this person. You'll know who.

I have three frogs theyre dwarfs. I had them before and pretty much killed them Idk what I was doing. Unfortunately, when you're first time beginner and think you know what you're doing you don't. It was 2013, first time with frogs not fish. I had fish for 3 years prior to this new adventure. I effed up. I got it now though. Im having tadpoles, they're mating.
I saw Thor Ragnarok! It was really good! Of course Thor is sooo cute. Loki isnt half bad either.

Broly ate collards and is basking. Kane is up and eating, been up for two weeks. Hes done brumating.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I've never had any amphibians or fish, unless you count the frog that used to hang out in our yard at the last house where I lived with my mother before I moved out on my own. We had a swimming pool in the backyard and I used to worry about the frog getting sick from the chlorine, but he(?) seemed fine. He even hopped on me once when I was floating on my back in the water. I guess he must have mistook me for a giant lily pad. :?

Your frog experience reminds me a little of what we went through when we first got Squirmles. Neither one of us had ever had a snake before, and we had done our research and read several books on the proper care and feeding of snakes, so we thought we were experts... Not. :roll: We made just about every mistake we could possibly make. Squirmles was lucky he survived our inexperience, just barely. :oops: We managed to get the hang of it somewhere along the line, and he seems to be doing fine now. We learned some things about reptiles in general, so we didn't screw up quite so bad when we got Puff, even though he was our first (and maybe only -- future unknown) bearded dragon.

I haven't seen Ragnarok, but the ads for it on TV look pretty good. My husband and I used to go to movies when we were "DINKs" (Double Income No Kids), but ever since I had to quit my job and we "adopted" two reptilian "children", we have No Budget for entertainment, so I'll have to wait until I can see it on TV or YouTube for $0. Sometimes I've even been known to hang out in the TV section of a department store long enough to watch a whole movie (or as much of it as I can get away with) when they put on one I'm interested in to show off the TVs they have for sale. :mrgreen:

Sounds like your beardies are doing well. You're probably glad Kane's done brumating. It's weird how they all seem to do it in different ways and at different times. No major changes with Puff so far, and this will be our 5th winter with him, so he's apparently just not into brumating, although he's usually a nice little couch potato year round anyway, unless he sees something on the other side of the glass that looks like it might be good to eat. :wink:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Snakes and other hardy animals can take inexperienced abuse I guess you can say. I had a beardie lasted 10 1/2 yrs old before succumbing to old age. Vash was his name. He took every mistake in the book of beginners. No uvb for about 6 months..my mistake on that. Internet didnt have much information then as it does now. He didnt ever get mbd. I was 17 so yeah beardies werent really known for info. I fed twice live bugs (this was obvious) a day in 10 minutes. Everything was pretty much correct in my setup just no uvb. I lived in Vegas so sun was unlimited except thunderstorms in summer. Warm spring though. I did pick carpet over sand thank goodness I did that right as a beginner. I chased him to grab him out of his tank (didnt know then to dont do that). Everything perfect. I learned a lot, I will always have uvb bulbs now and using halogen for heat. I have ceramic heat emitter (cold nights in Oregon) not like Vegas. We're getting close to snow temps, first snow is December. Wind is not my favorite...it's the culprit of trees falling. City is trimming branches back though some trees anyway. We're still gonna get that one tree that causes power outages. Wind can snap power lines I saw pics of snapped lines.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, we've learned alot about the proper care and feeding of reptiles in the last few decades. Some people can even keep chameleons alive nowadays, and they used to be notorious for being fragile. And we sometimes forget that we didn't always have the internet. Not too long ago, when you wanted to know something, you went to the library. Now you just turn on the computer and "google" it.

If you took Vash outside as often as the weather was nice, maybe he was able to soak up enough natural sunlight to avoid mbd.

I also try to make sure I have at least one spare for each kind of heat and light bulb I'm using for my reptiles, just in case something happens to the ones I've got running. In a pinch you can use mammalian body heat to keep them warm (in other words, cuddle them), but that doesn't get it for UV in the long run.

We manage to get by without CHEs because the corn snake can have red and/or blue light at night. In the summer I turn all his lights off at night, but in the winter it gets a little too cold in his room so I turn off the white light and leave the colored ones turned on low with the dimmer switch, just enough to keep the temperature around 65-70 F. Puff's tank is in the living room where the heater is, so his temperature stays within acceptable limits at night even in the winter, without extra heat lamps. We have a wall furnace in the living room (forced air, not the best for allergies, but that's what came with the house) so we keep all the inside doors open so the heat gets around, but it still stays a little colder in the bedrooms.

We got snowed on last weekend and it looks like it's probably going to stay around this time. It's been sunny and nice for the last couple of days, but not warm enough anymore to melt the snow. It cools off fast at night when we lose our cloud blanket. We're supposed to be getting northern lights too. I'll look out the windows if I wake up in the middle of the night like I often do, and if I see any I may actually be brave enough to bundle up and go outside for a better look.

My husband really suffers with his allergies when it gets windy, especially since he walks to work most days unless he needs the car for something. It's not so bad in the winter without the pollen, and once the mold gets frozen after the rains, but it can still kick up airborne particulates. We've had a few breezy chilly days so far, but luckily we haven't had any really bad wind storms yet this year -- nothing severe enough to cause power outages, at least not in this immediate area, although I've heard of a few in the hills and coastal areas. Our city's electrical utility is pretty good about keeping trees trimmed around the power lines, and about getting their repairs crews out to fix things when needed. We usually don't have to go too long without power, although we may have a scheduled computer outage this weekend. My husband has the day off on Friday (for Veteran's Day, I believe), and he's planning to upgrade the operating system on this old machine -- the current one is just barely limping along. So we'll be down for a few hours or a couple of days, depending on how things go, while he saves everything and does whatever he needs to do, and then hopefully restores everything he saved and gets it all back up and running again.

It's nice being married to a professional computer wiz. I've got my own personal system administrator and I don't have to call the "geek squad" when the computer acts up. :)

Puff got a few roaches for a snack this afternoon, and he spent the next couple of hours looking at me like he expected some more. "Go eat your salad if you're still hungry," didn't get it either. :roll:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Vash did go outside a lot in Vegas. I was lucky then no risk for skin cancer. I have risk now so moderate sun exposure for me. It's called be smart in my case.

Broly despies the scale. Hes at 533g now. He darkened his beard he forgave us after he stayed and got a treat.
Kane is happy with the scale he gets a hornworm after. Kane is at 520g. As I said hes done brumating ...I wish that didnt exist. Luckily so far Broly still powering through. No signs of sleep yet. Broly is still 20" long with a shedding tail...it looks like shedding. I could be wrong. No dull colors hes a dark shedder as in before shed he turns that part of him dark. Kane shot up an inch! He's 24" long! He's got some german giant in his genes.

On a side note: my cobra lily and venus are asleep. My cobra turned some traps orange to brown and died. I read it's normal for it to do this during dormancy. It's been happy with its care all summer. I can't imagine it dying I know what Im doing. I had venus teach me about dormancy. Sure different plant but they all sleep. My venus is just unresponsive during this time of year. My cobra kills off some pitchers as it dies back for winter. It will return in spring with bigger pitchers. My other pitcher, is outside asleep with a tarp as there's a frost warning. Too much rain as well I don't want it overwatered. So right now it's a very pissed off plant! Rain drenched us as well as NOT paying attention to how much water rain poured onto the plant. It'll survive. Im protecting it from further watering let it dry a tiny bit before watering.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess both plants and animals can drive their human caretakers crazy when they shut down for the winter and you don't know for sure whether they're sick, dying, dead, or just dormant. :? And it sounds like maybe some carnivorous plants drop their "traps" just like trees drop their leaves in the fall, and then grow new fresh ones in the spring.

They put in a nice bike trail along our street about 15 years ago, and landscaped it real nice and planted a bunch of trees. Some of them are larch, and the first fall I thought they were dying because their "needles" changed color and dropped. :? I didn't know about larch, and I didn't know there was such a think as a deciduous conifer. What looks like needles are actually modified leaves, and they're really soft if you touch them, so they don't make it through the winter. They're beautiful trees and they've grown really tall since then, with new green every spring.

Most bearded dragons will do just about anything for a hornworm. We used to get them once in a while for Puff at the place where we got most of our reptile food (out of business now). I'd bring home one or two of them and feed them to him on the same day, because otherwise they grow really big really fast. He'd look at them sort of quizzically at first -- I think the color confused him because he usually doesn't like anything green. :roll: But then when they started moving you could almost see the little light bulb go on over his head, " :idea: Oh! It's moving. It must be good to eat." Then he'd scarf it.

It sounds like Kane is a little on the thin side at 24 inches. Puff is about 18" and weighs around 520 grams, and doesn't seem either too fat or too thin. That doesn't that mean Kane is not healthy though. If he's still growing he may have some filling out yet to do, especially since he's just finished brumating. Besides, bearded dragons come in all shapes and sizes, just like people. :wink:

Lots of beardies seem to have tail tips that stay darker than the rest of their body or even than the front part of their tail. My husband noticed that when we first got Puff and asked the vet about it. She said it was retained shed, and sure enough, when he sheds on his tail, the front half tends to shed at a different time than the rear half down to the tip. Right now his tail is a little patchwork of half completed shed, and it's been that way for a while, but nothing seems to be getting constricted and it doesn't seem to bother him, so whatever. We're not worried about it for now. He never seems to do a full body shed all at once. Bits and pieces and mostly little patches, except his back -- sometimes that all comes off in one piece from his neck to the base of his tail, but no major shedding going on for him right now, except for the odd scales on the tail.

No sun today so far -- our weather's gone cloudy again -- maybe more snow. It's a good day to "catch up" on TV or YouTube watching and beardie cuddling. :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom