New beardie- Reapitory infection? Stress? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushumum

Hello y’all,

I just got Mushu from a very good family who got him from a breader, but unfortunately they did not know enough to take care of him as he got older. I got him only 24 hours ago (as of the time of this post) but I am a concerned beardie mum already. I did notice that Mushu would slightly leave his mouth open when I was at their house for the first time. The original owner said she contacted the breeder and he local reptile/exotic pet store to ask what it could mean. They said that it is normal for beardies, as that is true, but it concerns me how often Mushu is doing it. If could compare it to anything I would say it’s like a human who is a mouth breather, how they constantly have their mouth EVER SO SLIGHTLY ajar. I also will notice him take big gulps it looks like. I don’t ever see his stomach jitter or jump as he breathes, but he will take these big gulps from time to time. Here’s a pic, he’s even doing it while sleeping:
wioi85.jpg

Apparently, his previous owners always kept the tank on one side right at 100 while the other was around 85. However, I have their exact set up and I do struggle sometimes with the lamp. They provided a bulb that is 160 Watts & 120 V. It is made by Exo Terra Solar Glo and the swore to me up and down it emits both UVA and UVB and this is how they have always done it for Mushu, but I was weary of that. I keep it on from 7:30 am until 7:30-8 pm at night and then keep it off during the night. At night, temps get to high 70’s right now as I live in Florida. I need to know if I should change his bulb or add on to it.
Here is a pic of the tank setup:
25i86co.jpg

I haven’t been handling him as I read online that he is stressed from the change and he may need a couple days to get use to his environment. He seems to constantly have his beard somewhat puffed out, it’s always slightly black at the top of his neck. And I am waiting to handle him until his beard gets to normal color and size? ANy tips on what to do for making his change easier on him? He is not eating as well, and he is almost a year now.

Bottom line questions:
1. Why is he gapping? Does he have a respitory infection?
2. Is the lighting right or should I add/change it?
3. What can I do to help him get acclimated? And how long will it take?

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to the help, I am a nervous/anxious wreck right now lol

mushumum

Original Poster
I have been watching him in his tank and I did just observe that he will take a big breathe in and then swallow. This is the first time that I have seen him do it but I could miss it when I am gone. Keep in mind he is sleeping right now and still doing this.

I am getting really worried ya’ll - please help!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
mushumum":2ui2ukgc said:
Hello y’all,

I just got Mushu from a very good family who got him from a breader, but unfortunately they did not know enough to take care of him as he got older. I got him only 24 hours ago (as of the time of this post) but I am a concerned beardie mum already. I did notice that Mushu would slightly leave his mouth open when I was at their house for the first time. The original owner said she contacted the breeder and he local reptile/exotic pet store to ask what it could mean. They said that it is normal for beardies, as that is true, but it concerns me how often Mushu is doing it. If could compare it to anything I would say it’s like a human who is a mouth breather, how they constantly have their mouth EVER SO SLIGHTLY ajar. I also will notice him take big gulps it looks like. I don’t ever see his stomach jitter or jump as he breathes, but he will take these big gulps from time to time. Here’s a pic, he’s even doing it while sleeping:
wioi85.jpg

Apparently, his previous owners always kept the tank on one side right at 100 while the other was around 85. However, I have their exact set up and I do struggle sometimes with the lamp. They provided a bulb that is 160 Watts & 120 V. It is made by Exo Terra Solar Glo and the swore to me up and down it emits both UVA and UVB and this is how they have always done it for Mushu, but I was weary of that. I keep it on from 7:30 am until 7:30-8 pm

<<< 12h is too short a photoperiod , see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=236209&p=1815777#p1815777
I recommend bumping this up by 3 -4 h per day.

at night and then keep it off during the night. At night, temps get to high 70’s right now as I live in Florida. I need to know if I should change his bulb or add on to it.
Here is a pic of the tank setup:
25i86co.jpg

I haven’t been handling him as I read online that he is stressed from the change and he may need a couple days to get use to his environment. He seems to constantly have his beard somewhat puffed out, it’s always slightly black at the top of his neck. And I am waiting to handle him until his beard gets to normal color and size? ANy tips on what to do for making his change easier on him? He is not eating as well, and he is almost a year now.

Bottom line questions:
1. Why is he gapping? Does he have a respitory infection?
2. Is the lighting right or should I add/change it?
3. What can I do to help him get acclimated? And how long will it take?

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to the help, I am a nervous/anxious wreck right now lol

1) can you see any mucus in his mouth , bubbles in his mouth / nostrils ? ==> URI .

2) a lot wrong with the lighting .
see http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php
if it's the 160W version, it does produce UVA , UVB, light & heat but is very weak.
The basking spot needs to be about 14 inches from the bottom face of the UNOBSTRUCTED MVB to see about 180-200 microW UVB/sq.cm BUT at that distance it is not a warm enough globe to produce 38-43 degC at the basking spot.
BUT you have the MVB sitting in reflector done (worthless for MVBs) and ONTOP of fine mesh lid, the mesh is blocking at least 40% of the UV, so the basking spot needs to be 40% closer (even than the best you can expect is about 35 degC at the basking spot.

How old is the MVB ?
.... I believe their UV out degrades with use over time and they need replacing annually.

I recommend a major revamp of the lighting to comply with this :
Not all UVB compacts, tubes and MVBs are created equal or as well.
Many Chain Petshops sell their own brand (
Nomoy Pet,
Zilla,
All Living Things,
Reptile-One,
Nat Geo ,
Sparkzoo reptispar,
Repti-Zoo ,
Natural Selections (in green boxes) ,
all of which are cheap Chinese clones made very cheaply using very poor quality quartz glass and cheap phosphors ==> very poor UV spectrum produced including UVC and bad parts of the UVB band.

>>> domestic fittings for T8 and T5 tubes are fine PRIVIDED the tube is not covered == the cover will stop all UV.
>>> a slip on reflector or use of a reflector hood is an excellent investment as it will focus and essentially double the UVA and UVB seen by the beardie , and no UVA or UVB will be wasted by radiating to areas inaccessible to the beardie.
>>> also is it sitting ontop a mesh top ? == BAD
will cut UV by at least 28% == I recommend mounting UVB globes and tubes UNDER the lid.
data drawn from UV Guide :

A GOOD GUIDE FOR SETTING UP THE THERMAL AND UV GRADIENT IN A VIV.
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

>>> how far from basking spot ? == there are optimal distances for all UVB lights from the beardie see Arcadia Website for a good guide (a good UVB for beardies at their basking spot is about 180 to 200 microW UVB / sqcm ).

t5ho_12_uvb.png

3) he's on some kind of sand , the sand needs to be removed IMMEDIATELY, and if it's calci-sand or vita-sand he's likely very ill because he has an immoveable impaction and is suffering a serious systemic infection due to food and fecal matter rotting in his GIT.
this will explain along with totally inadequate levels of UVA & UVB , a poor thermal gradient, and poor prior husbandry why he's so sick , lethargic , and backbearding.

He needs to be seen by an good reptile vet PRONTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom