Unhealthy poo that's quite watery

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Okay, so my Beardie did a poo this morning that seemed to be quite unhealthy with too much water in it to be acceptable. Here it is:

full

From what I can tell, it might be due to his diet. A brief overview of Iggy can be found here:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=237464

I (most wrongly, due to not knowing better until yesterday, alas) took away his crickets Saturday and Sunday in an attempt to get him to eat more salad to try and achieve a ratio of 70% crickets and 30% salad that I read somewhere in which he should be attaining for his current age, until I found out it's just a bonus if he eats salad at all for 4.5 months of age :) So for the past few days he has been eating small amounts of squash (not so much as to cause issues, I don't think), frozen veggie mix that includes corn, peas, and carrot that is then heated in a small amount of water in the microwave for a short period until softened, rocket, tiny amount of parseley and Blueberries, and a small amount of Bannana. I cannot stress enough how small of a ratio of veggies/fruit he has been eating in comparison to the sheer amount of protein he has been getting in comparison. He eats about 9-12 crickets a day, depending on appetite. When I get my next pay-cheque in 1.5 weeks, I'm taking him into the vet who seems to do okay with reptiles and Bearded Dragons in order to perform a wellness check and get a examination on his feces for any possible, harmful parasites. So far, since getting him from the pet store, I've only had him since Thursday morning, Australian Eastern Standard Time.

I appreciate any and all help, thank you.

EDIT: I should mention that when he came back from the pet-store initially, he seemed somewhat dehydrated. He had a drink in the bathtub when I was giving him a bath yesterday and I give him daily baths in a largish container, as he otherwise freaks out in the large environment of a bathtub, as I found out. I've removed his water dish from the vivarium as it was only raising the humidity and he seemed to never use it except for the toilet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the poo looks within the acceptable range as far as that goes, not too watery really. And if he recently ate veggies + fruits and water that he hadn't previously had access to then that would account for the consistency being different + softer. He looks a bit older than 4.5 months possibly. Iggy's probably fine though, but def. offer live insects every day along with the veggies and not too much fruit.

When he has his wellness check be sure to take a fecal sample in to test for parasites. The only thing that looks odd is the whitish strands that look a bit like pinworms but could also be caused by new strange things in his diet.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1m6p2lzi said:
Hi there, the poo looks within the acceptable range as far as that goes, not too watery really. And if he recently ate veggies + fruits and water that he hadn't previously had access to then that would account for the consistency being different + softer. He looks a bit older than 4.5 months possibly. Iggy's probably fine though, but def. offer live insects every day along with the veggies and not too much fruit.

When he has his wellness check be sure to take a fecal sample in to test for parasites. The only thing that looks odd is the whitish strands that look a bit like pinworms but could also be caused by new strange things in his diet.

That is awesome to hear! All they fed him at the pet store was this frozen veggie mix as seen here:

full

So yeah, now he's being fed fresh, non-frozen veggies along with a single serving of an individual fruit twice a day along with a single feeding of 9-12 crickets (that's all he'll eat) once a day. The new diet is FAR MORE diverse also. I let the crickets roam free for several hours before removing them, whilst doing another scan of the tank before bed-time for any loose buggers so they don't eat him alive as he sleeps. I was already planning on taking in a fecal sample at the same time of the wellness check, to check for any harmful parasites :) I hope poor Iggy doesn't have any pinworms!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I make my salad up in bulk using a food processor, my recipy (from the breeder I bought Rex & Puff from when they were 6 week olds)

1/2 large peeled raw sweet potato , grated
2 - 3 whole washed buk choi , chopped
1 C frozen pea
1 C frozen green beans
3 - 4 peeled raw carrots , grated

mix and process to be fine and well mixed.

2 icecube maker trays (large icecubes 2in x 1in x 1in each , 12 cubes per tray), spoon the mix in and freeze.
I leave them in the icecube maker til the I need them, I then remove a cube per lizard (now all adults (BTS and CBDs) and allow to thaw in the feeding dishes in each viv.
What the pets don't eat goes outside for the wild skinks and possums and birds.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3ihnl4oq said:
I make my salad up in bulk using a food processor, my recipy (from the breeder I bought Rex & Puff from when they were 6 week olds)

1 C frozen pea
1 C frozen green beans

2 icecube maker trays (large icecubes 2in x 1in x 1in each , 12 cubes per tray), spoon the mix in and freeze.
I leave them in the icecube maker til the I need them, I then remove a cube per lizard (now all adults (BTS and CBDs) and allow to thaw in the feeding dishes in each viv.

Thank you for the reply :) Is the mixture that comes out of the food processor a slurry? I mean, I would imagine so. Or is it just finely cut and diced? Also, what does BTS mean? Because I have rheumatoid arthritis, the past few days have been a bit hard on my wrists with cutting up all the veggies needed for my insects and Iggy. I might have to invest in a food processor myself, thanks :)

Lastly, doesn't freezing greatly reduce the nutritional content of the food in question? I also didn't know you had to peel the carrots you feed your Beardie, nor could you feed them something like sweet potato.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, first of all, I'm replacing Iggy's substrate tomorrow with newspaper or something else, as long as it's not that awful calci-sand! But I just found that there's substrate present in his excretions. When he was going to the toilet before, as I was giving him a spray with the water bottle in a large plastic container, he started straining after letting go of the first poo and let me tell you, that poo was quarter of the size of him. He usually goes daily too but he hadn't for the past two days.

Is there anything more I can/should do, such as perhaps giving him a mild laxative?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that you're replacing the sand if it's showing up in the poop. At least it's passing through. I'd offer extra water via drips on the nose to lick up. That should help flush everything through eventually. If he stops going regularly or strains more than usual you could try some drops of olive oil or offer some baby food prunes or pumpkin which will act as a laxative. I'd try just extra hydration first if he's going on his own though.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":rvwrn34r said:
It's good that you're replacing the sand if it's showing up in the poop. At least it's passing through. I'd offer extra water via drips on the nose to lick up. That should help flush everything through eventually. If he stops going regularly or strains more than usual you could try some drops of olive oil or offer some baby food prunes or pumpkin which will act as a laxative. I'd try just extra hydration first if he's going on his own though.

This is his new vivarium setup, thanks with the help of my close friend's mother, Deanna :)

95175-1651021173.jpg

I got some olive oil today just in-case Iggy is in need of it, thank you, as I am offering him extra hydration currently at your suggestion ^_^

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
phobosdthorga":3jwtc8vd said:
kingofnobbys":3jwtc8vd said:

1 C frozen pea
1 C frozen green beans

Thank you for the reply :) Is the mixture that comes out of the food processor a slurry?
<<<< just chopped finely (mostly bits 5mm or so).

I mean, I would imagine so. Or is it just finely cut and diced? Also, what does BTS mean?
<<<< bluetongue skink

Because I have rheumatoid arthritis, the past few days have been a bit hard on my wrists with cutting up all the veggies needed for my insects and Iggy. I might have to invest in a food processor myself, thanks :)

<<<< get one that has selection of grating blades & a cutter , makes very fast work of grating a lot of hard raw veg and chopping greens , the cutting blade serves to mix the grated and chopped stuff .

Lastly, doesn't freezing greatly reduce the nutritional content of the food in question? I also didn't know you had to peel the carrots you feed your Beardie, nor could you feed them something like sweet potato.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
phobosdthorga":36m15lsq said:
CooperDragon":36m15lsq said:

This is his new vivarium setup, thanks with the help of my close friend's mother, Deanna :)

95175-1651021173.jpg

I got some olive oil today just in-case Iggy is in need of it, thank you, as I am offering him extra hydration currently at your suggestion ^_^

Get rid of the substrate....entirely unsuitable for a beardie and when ingested an very great impaction risk.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Any particle substrate is dangerous, shredded newspaper contains ink, which your bearded dragon will probably get ink poisoning from it. Just get some rough slate tiles or if you want you could use white paper towels, not shredded, and just stack it up so its a safe digging like substrate, i have paper towels underneath the hides so when they dig they don't scratch the slate so much, and saturn my male beardie has now started to burmate so he digs himself up underneath it in his hide, much safer and easier to clean up.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
<<<< just chopped finely (mostly bits 5mm or so).
Okies :)

<<<< bluetongue skink
Yup!

<<<< get one that has selection of grating blades & a cutter , makes very fast work of grating a lot of hard raw veg and chopping greens , the cutting blade serves to mix the grated and chopped stuff .
Oh, thank you <3 I'll definitely invest in that sometime now I know what to get!

kingofnobbys":3iqryzgn said:
Get rid of the substrate....entirely unsuitable for a beardie and when ingested an very great impaction risk.

VenusAndSaturn":3iqryzgn said:
Any particle substrate is dangerous, shredded newspaper contains ink, which your bearded dragon will probably get ink poisoning from it. Just get some rough slate tiles or if you want you could use white paper towels, not shredded, and just stack it up so its a safe digging like substrate, i have paper towels underneath the hides so when they dig they don't scratch the slate so much, and saturn my male beardie has now started to burmate so he digs himself up underneath it in his hide, much safer and easier to clean up.

Look, this is the best I can offer at the moment with the least maintenance, I'm sure not everything is harmful to a Beardie. Plus I don't see why he would have a natural taste for this, unlike calci-sand. The ink might be possibly toxic, yes, as that can contain things like cadmium and other heavy metals. Though I doubt he'll be ingesting much of that plus the majority of the ink is black in colour, which uses carbon as a base. I studied chemistry for several years so I know this as a fact, both in school and university as one of my majors (I did a double BSc. major). I'm getting Iggy some tiles the next weekend when I can afford them, as right now I have very little money. I'm trying to do my best with what I have. Thank you for the suggestion though of putting paper towels underneath the tiles :)

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I dont think you understood what i said, i meant put just plain white paper towels inside the enclosure. Im sure you could at least afford paper towels, its much easier to clean than shredded paper. As it wont have a chance of harboring bacteria among the rest of the pieces. And no poisoning or risk of anything.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":1ievhi7f said:
I dont think you understood what i said, i meant put just plain white paper towels inside the enclosure. Im sure you could at least afford paper towels, its much easier to clean than shredded paper. As it wont have a chance of harboring bacteria among the rest of the pieces. And no poisoning or risk of anything.

I did understand what you said, but Iggy only poops when he has bath time (which is twice a day usually) and he is fed in a dedicated feeding container. So there's minimal risk of bacteria and the shredded paper is far less maintenance, which is what I need, alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom