Anyone have a potty trained dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RottenOctopus

I bought a year old bearded dragon around six or seven months ago. Since then, I introduced him to a leash and the outside world. Because I didn't want to clean his terrain every time he pooped, I took him outside into the grass whenever he did his "poop dance." Said poop dance consists of him clawing at the glass and generally scrambling. He quickly became accustomed to pooping outside and refuses to do his business anywhere else except the grass. He'll even force himself to poop every time I take him for a walk! I was wondering if anyone else had a beardie that was trained like this, or do I just have a very cleanly and persnickety fellow?

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Mystic does not poop in his tank, he's got his spot in the kitchen on linoleum floor. I do let him run around every day.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My guy is trained to go on the linoleum floor in the morning too. MUCH easier to clean and the tank stays nice and clean that way too. I think they prefer going outside of the tank if they know they can avoid it.

NekahRae

I inadvertently paper trained mine. When I noticed that he usually went in a particular spot of the tank, I started putting some newspaper down on that side to make it easier to clean. Then, whenever he was running around the apartment and I noticed him lifting his tail to go, I would quickly (try) to put paper towels under him to reduce the mess on my carpet...

...then on several occassions, when I had random pieces of paper on the carpet and he was out, he seemed to go to the papers instead of just going wherever he happened to be. Unless he was sitting on me. Why he likes trying to go when sitting on me is a mystery I haven't solved yet.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
When we first got our beardie, he had learned to poop in the water when he gets a bath. It makes it a lot easier to clean up after him -- all we have to do is dump it down the drain. He still poops in his bath sometimes, but if we're not able to get his bath ready soon enough when he has to go, he goes "downstairs" to the bottom of his tank about midway between his basking platform at the warm end and his salad and water at the cool end. Many of them don't seem to like to mess up the areas where they spend most of their time, and ours spends most of his day on his basking platform although he almost never touches his salad.

I think many of them can be potty trained, but best not to expect perfection.

("I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that Puff isn't constipated anymore. The bad news is that Puff isn't housebroken anymore either." :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom