I'm confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy3535

I am confused as what to feed my bearded dragon because the vet says it's okay to feed kale but them I go on websites and it says it's not okay but then theirs some that say it's okay. Plus I noticed on the kale after he ate some their was black spots on the kale. Should I be concerned? Then kiwi and rasberries some sites don't even mention it but it says never to feed anything with seeds but that has a lot of seeds in it. So how do you prepare it? Then the petstore told me spinach was okay but then I go on websites and it's not okay so I am confused. What should be his main green source? He's a picky eater. He doesn't like celery,squash, blueberries. He cant pick up bannanas in his bowl. I have to hand feed him all the time.

Bear333

Hi there!

Kale and spinach are not good staple veggies at all!! Weird that your vet would tell you that... maybe they’re not an experienced exotic veterinarian? And most likely the pet store person didn’t do their research, like most pet store employees I’ve met. The black spots on the kale are mostly just signs that the kale is about to go bad or possibly a fungus (that isn’t harmful) so there’s nothing to worry about:) But I would definitely switch to staple leafy greens such as collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens & dandelion greens. As for kiwi, It's recommended to feed rarely on the nutrition chart due to it's high oxalates, which can bind calcium. I wouldn't reccomend taking the risk. Try to only feed fruit occasionally, maybe once a week. He should really be getting leafy green salads with healthy veggies such as acorn squash or green beans. Make sure when feeding strawberries you cut the top off and/or feed seedless. Hope this helps:D

Happy3535

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. Raw green beans? Don't they have seeds? What about fruits? I'm I doing the crickets right? He gets 5 to 6 a day. I put calcium on them twice a week. Are apples good?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would dust crickets with calcium at every feeding. You don't need to supplement salads though, just provide a nice variety. Raw green beans are a favorite of my dragon. I just chop them into bite sizes and he gobbles them right up. They are like croutons for his salad. Here is a list of good veges to offer in salads http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Just offer 2-3 items including a dark leafy green and rotate based on what looks fresh at the store. Variety is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom