Can beardies eat pinacate beetles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnkittenz

I fed my beardie a dead pinacate beetle that died this morning. It's big- shiny- and stinky. After feeding it however I don't know if it was poisonous or not for them to eat. HELP? :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I guess you are referring to a stink bug?
Personally I wouldn't feed one to a bearded dragon. I don't believe they are toxic per say,
but they definitely wouldn't taste good & they could upset their tummy some. It's not really
recommended though to feed dead prey or insects to them.
Is your dragon acting normal thus far?

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've seen them go after stink bugs before. It's not recommended to feed them on purpose but from what I've seen one here or there by accident shouldn't be harmful.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh my, yuck...stink bugs and box elder beetles are nasty little bugs, they are full of that stuff that emits the odor, which I believe is an aldehyde and not poisonous but could make him feel pretty badly. Watch him closely to make sure he doesn't start vomiting or lose his appetite long term.

He should be fine, but just as an FYI for the future, please do not EVER feed your beardie insects from outside, first off they could be poisonous and that can kill your beardie, and even if they are not poisonous and you know what they are, you still have absolutely no way of knowing if they have been exposed to or eaten any types of pesticides or insecticides, especially like you did in this case, that dead bug that you fed him could have been dead because he was poisoned. And if you're not sure what the bug even is, you could end up feeding him anything, like a dead firefly or something that is lethal. So it's just a really good rule to never, ever, ever allow your beardie to eat ANY INSECTS that he finds outside, dead or alive, or that are not specifically purchased for him to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom