Possible Ri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
I have a good friend of ours female Beardie.
She originally brought her to me because hadn't had a bowel movement in about 3 weeks which was out of the norm for her.
I asked her about her husbandry and her temps were deff on the low side 90F during the day and her house gets fairly cold at night with no heat source.
I was able to get her to have a bowel movement with a 30 min bath some belly rubs, and popped her in my spare tank at about 110F in the warmest spot and she went, it was huge.

Since her I have noticed she also has some labored breathing, large quick inhales that last for a few minutes at a times accompanied with beard popping/puffing. This is'nt constant but it is consistent on and off throughout the day, I mentioned it to her owner and she said she had noticed this too, but being she doesn't have much experience with Beardies she thought this was normal.

I suspect it to be an RI with her being in the low temps over night for the time shes had her.

She is going to buy a higher watt bulb and a new digital thermometer, and were going to get a night heat source going for her when I send her back home.

With this possible RI, my friend doesn't have a lot of money to take her to the vet right now and its not something I want to ignore with her Beardie.

I have experience with rescuing Beardies and dealing with RI's, We have a nebulizer and baytril all on hand at home right now, what I don't have is a Vets approval.

I know in the past with my rescues our vet had prescribed baytril for the same sympotoms that this little Beardie is showing, with out doing an xray to check. I also recall being told it doesn't hurt to do the nebulizing treatments just as a precaution if we suspect that's whats going on.

I also have everything to help assist with the baytril treatments, probiotics (bene-bac and avibios) and I have milk thistle suppliments to help the load of the baytril on her liver.

I have contacted Tracie about this but she does get busy and sometimes it takes her a while to get back to me which I completely understand.

I was just wondering if anyone had any input, I have to owners permission to go ahead with the nebulizing treatments, but i wanted to see if anyone thought it was more crucial for her to see a vet instead.

Thanks for any help, it is all appreciated :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It would probably be fine to start the nebulizing. If + when you go to a vet, do you have one who is experienced that you trust ? And would you have a dollar figure in mind ? Those are 2 very important Q's to answer before a vet trip.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I have an excellent vet, She has helped with us with all of our dragons and has gone above and beyond to help us in areas that we ourselves couldnt afford, like ultrasounds and scope procedures and so on. The only issue is the clinic she works at isnt taking on new patients at the moment.

So this is why im trying my best to do what I can for my friend with knowledge i have gotten from her and Tracie in the past.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My only fear about doing this without a vets consent, is doing a treatment and then for some reason things got worse. Are we better off just sending her home in the state shes in now and watch for fluid in the nose and mouth just to be sure, right now she doesnt have either of that, its just the breathing and the beard popping.

I know its also better to treat these things early too, so its a difficult decision to make, I hope to hear from Tracie in the next few days.

I appreciate your help and input!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Once the mucous starts accumulating it can be pretty bad, but it doesn't always get to that point. I think Tracie's input would be helpful as well , she'll probably weigh in a bit later. :)

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok Yes I will wait to see what she has to say, like i said before I do appreciate your input on the situation, and am glad to have this community to come to for help and guidance. :)

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just wanted to say, Tracie emailed me and we are going to go ahead and start nebulization treatments. Thank you again for your help :)

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I will for sure, we did her first one last night, one 15 minute session, she handled it well. I will keep you all posted on this thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom