Baby badly injured need HELP immediately!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiimdan

Need help as I live in a small country town in Australia and there is no reptile vet nearby.

I rescued a baby beardie from the garden because it could not move its back legs. Did some research and thought he might be impacted so I gave it a warm bath and offered him some greens with a drop of olive oil but it was uninterested. It had been very lethargic and still can't move his back legs so I let it rest in a click clack with a heat mat underneath it all night.

This morning it was still very sleepy and couldn't move. I turned it over and it was bleeding very slightly near its cloaca and has something protruding from it. I have given him 2 iodine baths in luke warm water and applied manuka honey to the area. I also fed it a slurry of water + mushed crickets + greens through a 2ml syringe, I think a little went in.

It is still alive but seems very weak and sleepy. I am letting him rest on a heat mat with paper towel ontop. Here is a photo of his underside. Could it be poo or perhaps a prolapsed organ?. https://imgur.com/a/CEe6O
Any help appreciated.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hiimdan":3iwv0qx7 said:
Need help as I live in a small country town in Australia and there is no reptile vet nearby.

I rescued a baby beardie from the garden because it could not move its back legs. Did some research and thought he might be impacted so I gave it a warm bath and offered him some greens with a drop of olive oil but it was uninterested. It had been very lethargic and still can't move his back legs so I let it rest in a click clack with a heat mat underneath it all night.

This morning it was still very sleepy and couldn't move. I turned it over and it was bleeding very slightly near its cloaca and has something protruding from it. I have given him 2 iodine baths in luke warm water and applied manuka honey to the area. I also fed it a slurry of water + mushed crickets + greens through a 2ml syringe, I think a little went in.

It is still alive but seems very weak and sleepy. I am letting him rest on a heat mat with paper towel ontop. Here is a photo of his underside.
<<< better than nothing.
Could it be poo or perhaps a prolapsed organ?. https://imgur.com/a/CEe6O
Any help appreciated.

What's your nearest large town ?
Might be able to get you onto a nearby reptile vet (if I know your whereabouts) or the local WIRES rescuer.
Here is list of reptile vets, in AUS listed here : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=234369&p=1803862&hilit=melissa#p1803862

He's in a bad way and quiet small - a Black Soil Beardie (if you are in NW Queensland ?) , poor photo , yes it seems to have a prolapse , very important you get him urgently to a vet , ANY VET at this stage and don't let the prolapse if that's what it is dry out - if can become necrotic and the resulting infection will kill him.
Chances are it's been a victim of an attack by another animal (most likely a cat or dog), predatory birds will have eaten him.
Can you see any evidence of penetrating wounds on his body anywhere (from cat or dogs teeth , or cat's claws ==> very bad news if there are but there is a chance he can survive this if given antibiotics by a vet right away.

In the mean time set him up in a ventilated shoe box or similar lined with some clean paper towels and keep him warm in a quiet area of the house.
Try to get him to drink using an eyedropper - drops on his nose if he's thirsty he'll drink,

Care of "prolapse" see this : https://whttps://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?

Treatment see this : http://reptilesia.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/dealing-with-prolapse-in-bearded-dragon.html
Step ONE:
If you have your bearded dragon in sand substrate...this prolapse is going to have sand stuck all over it, and you do not want that! So, take your bearded dragon and put him/her in a warm bath and remove all the sand from the surface. If you don't have your bearded dragon in sand you may want to still put them in a nice warm bath and make sure the area is clean, because it'll be prone to infection which can be fatal.

Step TWO:
Take about 1/5 a cup, if not less, of hot water and dissolve table sugar (doesn't matter how much) in it.
Next, make this sugar water bath a little deeper with colder water and then place your dragon in the bath.
The point of this sugar bath is not only to moisten the surface of the prolapse, but it also acts to reduce swelling.
When organs come out of the body like this, they tend to swell due to fluids and gases; the sugar water you have just made will act as a hypertonic solution that draws the fluids from the tissue, thus causing the swelling to reduce in size.
If it reduces sufficiently enough, you may be able to gently push the prolapse back in (although I don't recommend doing this yourself) with a cutip covered in Vaseline.
Anyway, keep him/her in the sugar bath for approximately 15-20 minutes; during this time you may want to thoroughly clean their caging using vinegar and water - never use 409 or Windex.
Also, if you are using sand as your substrate, you need to remove all of it and replace it with paper towels or newspaper; same goes for dirt substrates.

Step THREE:
After the sugar bath, put your bearded dragon in their newly cleaned cage and make a sugar/water paste to apply to the area.
This paste is going continue to moisten the area while also reducing the swelling.
Alternatively, if you have Vaseline lying around, you can use that to keep the area moistened as well.
Keeping the prolapse moist is VERY important because if it dries out the tissue can become necrotic = not good!
Necrosis is the death of cells and requires immediate attention from a vet in the case of a bearded dragon prolapse.
Also, you want to keep the area, and everything around it VERY clean because the tissue can easily become infected.

Step FOUR:
Repeat these steps daily (sugar water bath twice a day) until you can get your dragon to the vet!

The procedures the vet will perform

The vet will mostly likely put your dragon in a sugar/water bath for ~15 minutes to reduce some of the swelling - depending on how far the organ is protruding from the anus.
Next, the vet is going to gently push it back in and apply stitches to the area.
You are going to have to leave the suture there for about 5 days before having it removed by the vet.
During this checkup the vet will also feel the area to make sure the swelling has sufficiently reduced before removing the suture.

You will probably need to keep the dragon for several weeks so it can be rehabilitated and recover , buy silkworms or BSF lavae ( Livefoods Limited has both) in any case, NO mealworms , NO superworms (as the hard exoskeletons may be an issue for him when he poos).

Get some VetaFarm HerpaBoost , this can given by syringe when made up.

A Philips par38 incandescent colourless spot globe from Bunnings will provide heat for him , I'd place him in a 105L or 145L tub from Bunnings while he's recovering , a 10% - 12% UVB tube in a reflector hood will be needed (best if it's T4HO) , ZooMed UVB tubes and Arcadia tubes are the best , NOT REPTILE ONE !! or NATURAL SELECTIONS .
A 26W UVB200 in a reflector hood will do for short term.
This is how I set up my rearing tubs, the same can be used for a hospital tub : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

PM me if you want me (private help) , I'm in Newcastle NSW , and have rescued wild lizards and cared for them and will be happy to give advise.

Vets are obligated to provide vet care to any injured or sick native animals presented to them free of charge BTW. (They charge back to the government department who runs wildlife licencing and national parks.)

hiimdan

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice but unfortunately he has just passed. He has stopped breathing and not responding to any stimuli whatsoever. Im sad hes gone but he is not in pain anymore.
Thanks for the help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH poor little thing, maybe it somehow got smashed? I hope he didn't suffer for too long.
So sorry. :cry:

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom