What are the chances of catching pinworm or coccidia from be

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
My Bearded dragon was recently diagnosed with coccidia and pin worms. I read when humans have pinworms that the female pinworm emerges from the anus at night and lays eggs and then goes back in! Does this work the same way in bearded dragons. Does the female emerge through the vent and lay eggs? So if my dragon then climbs up my arm does that mean my arms and shirt have eggs all over them? This worries me as I have two small boys who put everything, other than food, in their mouths! I make sure to wash my hands after handleing her but I don't change my whole outfit lol.

Thanks!

Danielle

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Unfortunately it is possible to pick up parasites as well as other nasty things like salmonella + ecoli from beardies. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be too common, but it is def. a possibility. The best precaution you can take is just to was your hands as usual, and if you feel like a quick wipe of your arm after beardie has crawled up then just use a slightly soapy paper towel + you should be good. :)

Always supervise the kids when handling the dragon and impress on them the importance of washing their hands immediately after handling.

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks AHBD! I can always count on you for some good info/advice! ?? I'm a little OCD and a bit of a "clean freak" so learning she has pinworms and coccidia is going to drive me nuts! Time to go sterilize the entire house ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Frequent hand washing is definitely the best way to protect against disease transmission (although it's fairly rare from what I've seen as AHBD mentioned). My vet also recommended wiping and spraying their bum with Vetericyn (or similar) after they poop to help keep them from spreading germs on their skin and dragging it around the house.

Tank sanitization will be quite important during treatment, especially for the coccidia. That will require use of ammonia/water solution or steam cleaning. It helps to remove permanent furniture for a while and use cardboard and put down paper towels for substrate so they are disposable. Otherwise running over everything with a steam cleaner after physically washing everything a few times per week should do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom