Pinworms in baby beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmac60

My beardie is about 3-4 months old. I took him to the vet and he tested positive for pinworms. She said they don’t treat the pinworms, and to make sure his tank is at all the right temperatures. I was looking online and saw a few supplements or medication I could give him, but I was reading the forums and people were saying after they medicated their dragons they had a loss of appetite. My beardie is still growing and he has a full appetite. He attack’s his food whenever I put it in. I dust his food with calcium and I am going to try to give him some canned pumpkin. I am also upgrading his tank this weekend because what I have him in now is temporary. But I am concerned for him. Any suggestions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Pinworms are pretty common and shouldn't be harmful in low concentrations. Your vet deciding not to treat for now is a reasonable call and probably indicates the count was low. Since he is active and has a good appetite, he is probably in good shape and can manage it on his own. Continue to offer him a varied diet with plenty of different bugs and offer some veges too (he may not go for them at his age but that's OK).

Proper heat gradient and lighting will help him fight off the pinworms and maintain a healthy gut. It's important to use a high quality UVB light at proper distance for the particular bulb (I can help with this if you wish). The basking surface should be somewhere between 100-110 for proper digestion and there should be a gradient down to about 75-80 or so on the cool side of the tank. Giving those options will allow for self regulation and good overall health.

It's also important to keep the tank as clean and sanitary as possible. I suggest using a solid substrate such as tile or non adhesive shelf liner so you can clean it well with vinegar/water and sanitize it easily using a good spray such as F10. If you can offer him a healthy diet, keep him in a sanitary environment with proper lighting he should be able to manage the pinworms on his own.

If his poop starts to stink more or become loose/runny for an extended period of time or if you start to see a drastic drop in appetite or lethargic behavior I would have a second sample tested by the vet to compare to the one you just had tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom