5 month old not eating as much greens as before

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

So I just got a new beardie a month ago, now 5 months old.So 3-4 times a week I prepare a little salad for him in the mornings and is really good at eating them. He never eats all the salad but at least he always had some. After trying a lot of different vegetables I ended up finding out he would only go for dandelion greens and squash. I feed him crickets twice a day (try to do twice) with all his supplements and he eats really well every time.
But around a week ago he kinda stop taking salads. He would only eat 2-3 pieces of squash and maybe one or two squares of dandelion. But when it comes to cricket time, oh boy he is a monster.
Am I maybe overfeeding him crickets? I know juvenile (he is still a juvenile right? not a baby? He is almost 12"). A beardie teeth length to 12" xD. He has gain a reasonable amount of weight this past month since I got him, he is not as thin anymore.

I got this new lil guy because my 2 year old is brumating

So he is 12 inches, 87 grams, 5 months old (or 4ish).

EDIT: SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST, I dont know how to get rid of the second copy. And english is my second language :lol:

93594-7097038701.jpg
93594-7378587280.jpg
93594-2226312459.jpg
full pancake mode!

93594-7023770539.jpg
93594-3423099914.jpg

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's ok for a double post. I don't have an option to delete just this one, but could try to separate them. It's no big deal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A lot of times, they will go through stages in which they change up their eating preferences
at various times in their lives. I've seen quite a few have trouble with that around 5-6 months
of age, I guess they probably get a little bored. He may go through a phase that he wont eat
them at all, then start eating them again.
He looks very good as well, quite healthy. He is a juvenile now, correct & still does need a
good amount of protein. Do you feed bugs twice daily?
Are you giving his greens/salads in the morning before crickets or other insects? Sometimes
if you give greens first, they will eat them but if you feed crickets or insects first, they may
or may not eat greens. It can be a battle sometimes!

Tracie

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":nj11geqr said:
Hello,

A lot of times, they will go through stages in which they change up their eating preferences
at various times in their lives. I've seen quite a few have trouble with that around 5-6 months
of age, I guess they probably get a little bored. He may go through a phase that he wont eat
them at all, then start eating them again.
He looks very good as well, quite healthy. He is a juvenile now, correct & still does need a
good amount of protein. Do you feed bugs twice daily?
Are you giving his greens/salads in the morning before crickets or other insects? Sometimes
if you give greens first, they will eat them but if you feed crickets or insects first, they may
or may not eat greens. It can be a battle sometimes!

Tracie

Hi, I'm glad my beardie is in good condition. I do feed him crickets twice daily, I'd say 5/7 days he will eat twice, sometimes after the first feeding of crickets he is done. And usually give him salad before, in the morning like an hour after he wakes up and lights are on.

Question,

What other feeder would be good to feed my beardie aside from crickets? I know and was told that is good to change up his feeder once in a while, but I dont know what bug. Superworms is a no no, he is still too young, mealworms not so really, wax worms only as a treat cuz high in fat, and Icant seem to get any roaches around my area :(. I tried ordering roaches but it got cancelled because apparently California, or at least SoCal, wont ship in dubia roaches. I visited petco, and they sell dubias, but...they were literally all dead. There was a container which a bunch of small ones half alive, and the "large" ones were only 2 in one container, most of them dead, and pricey.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wasn't aware that roaches were not allowed in CA. You could try some black soldier fly larvae and silk worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom