**Update** Adventures of Rocky the Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky has been with us for just over a month and I think it's safe to say, he's settling in nicely.

I was leaving the house a few days ago and when I went to say "bye" to Rocky, I noticed that his hammock had fallen down. I didn't have time to fix it, so I moved him away from it and left it down; hoping that he wouldn't get back on it. Well...as we all know, our dragons LOVE their hammocks. This is what I found when I returned home, a few hours later:

Rocky, back on his fallen hammock. Using his tail to hold him up.

I decided to remove the hammock altogether for a while. Rocky was having none of that. From that day forward, he has been pooping on his basking spot, right where his hammock had been. And then he lays in it. I think this is an all out "Hammock Protest."

I had to give him a bath to get the poo off his belly and he tried his best to escape.

I want to put paper towels down on his basking spot to make clean up easier, but this guy is terrified of them! He freaks out every time I come near his tank with paper towels in my hand.

I am such a proud beardie mama. I love this guy and can't wait to share more of his adventures.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Rocky is no longer with us. :( He crossed the rainbow bridge this afternoon, with the help of his vet. It was an extremely difficult decision for us as his health had deteriorated rapidly the past few months.

Rocky's tumor returned in early July and grew very quickly. He started to lose weight in September and last week he stopped eating. In recent days, he struggled to walk and was flipping over multiple times a day.

We are truly grateful for the time we had with him. And even more grateful for all of the support we've gotten from everyone in this group as we shared Rocky's story.

We are forever thankful to Dr. Rhody and his staff at Lakeside Veterinary Center in Laurel, MD for the care that Rocky received. They are true professionals in everything they do.

For now, the tank is dark and our hearts are heavy. We are taking a break from "dragon slavery", and will return when the time is right.

Chris

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm soooooo sorry. :( I know that Rocky was your special boy and I can imagine how devastated you are. All my sympathy to you, you were the best thing that could have happened to him + did all you could to let him live a happy dragon's life for his short time.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2ef7844h said:
Aw, I'm soooooo sorry. :( I know that Rocky was your special boy and I can imagine how devastated you are. All my sympathy to you, you were the best thing that could have happened to him + did all you could to let him live a happy dragon's life for his short time.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm really missing my big, boy tonight.

Chris

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Saddened to hear this =(. Thank you so much for giving him a good life and some adventures. I'm sure he appreciated the love and care you gave to him. You made a big difference.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":27eqdoss said:
Saddened to hear this =(. Thank you so much for giving him a good life and some adventures. I'm sure he appreciated the love and care you gave to him. You made a big difference.

Thank you for your kindness and support.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry to hear about Rocky. :cry: I know he'll be missed, but I hope you'll be able to find some comfort in knowing that you gave him a wonderful life and helped him with his "bucket list" in the time that you had with him.

I've only had a little taste of how sad a dark tank can be, for only about 40 hours, but we were able to bring our beardie back home.

Thank you also for sharing his story with all the rest of us, right up to the end. I hope the memories will eventually be sweet.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":t8c290vu said:
Sorry to hear about Rocky. :cry: I know he'll be missed, but I hope you'll be able to find some comfort in knowing that you gave him a wonderful life and helped him with his "bucket list" in the time that you had with him.

I've only had a little taste of how sad a dark tank can be, for only about 40 hours, but we were able to bring our beardie back home.

Thank you also for sharing his story with all the rest of us, right up to the end. I hope the memories will eventually be sweet.

Thank you so much for being a part of Rocky's journey. The dark tank gets me every time I come home from work. I instinctively glance over at his tank, and then it hits me like a ton of bricks. Still can't believe he's gone. :(

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
There are those who will tell you that the only "cure" for "empty tank syndrome", or for what has also been called having a "bearded dragon shaped hole in your heart" is eventually to get another beardie -- not to "replace" the one you've lost , because they're all unique and special, and only if and when you feel like you've had enough of a break from "dragon slavery", if you still have the means to take good care of them, and if you feel like you have more love to give -- as you say, when the time is right.

In the meantime, take good care of yourself and the rest of your family.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh my... I had a DREAM last night that I bought TWO dragons. One male and one female. And I was a wreck because I have never owned a female before. And they were both gorgeous!

Might be getting closer to re-entering the world of dragon slavery!

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So...THIS just happened! The little guy is arriving on Tuesday. Needless to say, I'm beyond excited!
Time to start prepping for dragon slavery. :blob5: :blob8:
86272-1840618765.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes indeed -- welcome back to the wonderful world of bearded dragon slavery. So tomorrow is the big day? Hope he arrives safe and well. :D

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm so excited, I can't sit still!!! Counting down the hours until Fedex delivers the little guy. :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom