URGENT ADVICE NEEDED 2 RESCUED BEARDIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Fenix is likely just preparing to loosen some shed. And I would definitely wait until they're bigger + healthier before any meds. are given. Did you say the little female is eating + gaining weight ? And what is her total length . do you have a ruler to set her next to ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I apologize for not thinking of everything in one reply, I just wanted to mention that 4 sprayings a day and a bath are too much, you can just sprizt him well once a day and just give a bath once a week. When lighting spritzing/spraying try to get some on his snout so he can drink.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ninjadewd":16j1drjd said:
I replied and for some reason it didn't submit?

If I get a fecal done, regardless of the results, is it still okay to use a dewormer or something for worms and parasites? <<< the vet will specify the correct meds , often if its coccidia it's a two meds - an antibiotic for the secondary infection of the GIT caused by the parasites attacking the tissues and a specific antiparasitic med , unwise to just go to pet shop and pick up dewormers for cats/dogs/birds. Can do more harm than good if the wrong med or the wrong dose is used - she's tiny so will be very easy to overdose her.
Very important to dose according to bodyweight.

Can the females body handle meds like dewormer?

Was Fenix's odd puffing up and body inflating him trying to shed? every few minutes he puffs it up a little bit, it is colorless though, this si the first day he has ever one this.

ninjadewd

Original Poster
Okay. And again, thanks for the help, I'll update when I get fecal results and when I measure the girl. Almost a week ago she was about 3 inches and her stomach was just loose skin, now the skin is tight on the stomach and it's rounded, so she is gaining some weight.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Actually it's best to wait for a while let her get some size + strength before taking her to a vet + giving any meds. In her frail condition the meds. can wipe out any appetite + reverse the forward progress. I'm pretty sure she is more like at least 5 inches....they hatch out bigger than 3", usually between 3.5 [ the small side ] and 5" at hatching.

ninjadewd

Original Poster
I ordered 25 3/8" dubia to start her out, Should be here in 2 days, how many of these do you think will be enough for her per day? Super beginner question but I have 0 experience with baby dragons and am worried about worsening the compaction she already has. Should I dust them and ditch the guessing game with the liquid cal? The liquid cal does not have D3, so maybe switching to dusting the dubia is a good idea?

She has started eating some kale which is good, but her fecal is now just orange mush and a small white urate, so I'm gonna hold off on any calcium until the dubia get here.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ninjadewd":2yy83xzx said:
I ordered 25 3/8" dubia to start her out, Should be here in 2 days, how many of these do you think will be enough for her per day? Super beginner question but I have 0 experience with baby dragons and am worried about worsening the compaction she already has. Should I dust them and ditch the guessing game with the liquid cal? The liquid cal does not have D3, so maybe switching to dusting the dubia is a good idea?

Not sure on roaches, I'd offer her them one or two at a time, and stop offering when she looses interest (if she's eating without help).

What guessing game with the liquid calcium ? ....., all you need do is get her bodyweight and then refer to my post were I worked out the doseage (drops per 100g bodyweight).

repeated :
Re the Flukers Liquid Calcium , there have been reports of bad batches, put a couple of drops on the top of your hand , if it starts burning the skin DO NOT USE IT !!!
http://board.reptilesmagazine.com/Topic177134.aspx
from their web site
https://flukerfarms.com/flukers-liquid-calcium/
from their own information 6% conc Calcium = 6g calcium/100ml = 60g/L

For VetaFarm CalciVet conc calcium is 33g calcium / L

Fluker's stuff is 2x more concentrated.

VetaFarm oral dosing is 4 drops / 100g lizard body weight (0.2ml for a 100g lizard) = Daily dose.

Flukers' oral dosing will be 2 drops / 100g lizard body weight ( 0.1ml for a 100g lizard to give equiv amount of calcium).

She has started eating some kale which is good, but her fecal is now just orange mush and a small white urate, so I'm gonna hold off on any calcium until the dubia get here.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I would be using only the powder calcium and I would absolutely be using calcium powder WITH D3!!! This is absolutely imperative because they are not getting adequate UVB light for a long enough photoperiod every day, and the result of this is that they cannot manufacture D3 on their own then. So they need the D3 in their calcium powder. Once each of them have a high-quality 10.0 UVB tube, 18" is long enough for now for each of them, unless you find a 22" (same as a 24" if you're looking at a Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube) for less than the 18", which on Amazon.com is the case. You can buy a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO on Amazon.com for only $23 a tube, where the 16" is more money. Never buy anything in a pet store, especially live feeder insects, you'll save a fortune. I don't know where you live, but if you're in the US then I'd check out http://www.dubiaroaches.com as they have most all live feeder insects and are by far the cheapest place I've seen, and I've looked online for years and years comparing prices. http://www.symtonbsf.com is another good site, I used them to order my live BSFL for a long time until I found http://www.dubiaroaches.com was much cheaper. I was paying $23 for 1,000 size large BSFL, and then I went to http://www.dubiaroaches.com and I now pay $15 for 1,000 size large BSFL. Their dubia prices are excellent too. But you can see how much money you save over buying them in a pet store, that's just ridiculous to even thing about, they are just rip offs.

I agree, no vet trips right now, #1) They don't need the stress right now, especially the female. Let them put some weight on and settle in, and most vets with actually let you drop off fresh fecal samples for testing without bringing the dragons in for an exam anyway, as long as you arrange it with them first, but right now they need to get well, and #2) Your money is much more valuable right now buying each of the 3 their own quality UVB tubes. This should be priority #1 as far as spending money goes, and once again, DO NOT BUY CHEAP UVB TUBES, YOU'LL ONLY BE WASTING YOUR MONEY, AS THEY WILL START TO GO DOWNHILL OR END UP WITH EYE DAMAGE, AND YOU'LL THEN HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE MONEY AGAIN TO BUY A QUALITY UVB TUBE. THE BRANDS THAT KNOBBYS LISTED ARE ALL JUNK, THEY DON'T EMIT THE AMOUNT OF UVB LIGHT THAT THEY SHOULD BE OR THAT THEY SAY THEY ARE, AND THEY ALSO EMIT HARMFUL RAYS THAT CAUSE EYE AND SKIN DAMAGE.

And do not even thing about buying any UVB tubes or fixtures in a store, order online. Amazon.com is the place to buy, you get free shipping, the lowest prices on both Reptisun and Arcadia UVB tubes, and if you need to buy a matching fixture with a built-in reflector they offer an awesome package deal if you buy both the UVB tube and the fixture. You'll save up to 75% or more buying on either Amazon.com or http://www.petmountain.com They are both fantastic and have the lowest prices on Reptisun and Arcadia lights. on digital probe thermometer, on calcium and multivitamin powders, basically everything.

But as I said, I would make your #1 goal to get all 3 of them a quality 10.0 UVB tube, at least an 18", and a matching fixture with a reflector. It is so important that they get adequate and high-quality UVB and UVA light for at least 14 hours every single day, especially that poor little female. I agree with Knobbys that she's younger than the male, but it's still quite obvious that the male just dominated the hell out of her, as he shows little signs of MBD or illness, and he was under the same terrible lighting in the same crappy tank as she was. He just took everything from her and then stressed her out on top of starving her. I hope you blocked her view of him with paper or magazines or something in between their tanks, this is very important. She doesn't ever need to see him again.

Do us a favor, and when you do buy the first new UVB tube and fixture, post here and let us know which one you bought so that we can make sure that you have it mounted correctly and within the correct distance of the basking spot, as this is as important as buying a high-quality UVB tube in the first place is. If it's not set up correctly the beardie won't get any effective UVB or UVA light anyway. So we can help you ensure that everything is set up correctly and effectively.

ninjadewd

Original Poster
https://dubiaroaches.com/ is where I ordered from, and thank you for giving me advice on what I need to get first and where to get it. I am from the US, GA to be specific, and they charge almost double the price of the roaches in shipping, so I was thinking about ordering next from https://www.dubideli.com/

As soon as I can afford the 2 18" strips and a 20gal tank for the female I will post pics of my updated setup, though I don't know when it will be, for now I will find a way to level out my tanks and evenly split the lighting, and I will post pics of that as sometime today.

ninjadewd

Original Poster
She doesn't weigh 100g, I weighed her on a very accurate scale and she weighed at 8g, as I said earlier (perhaps this was in my post that didn't submit. So if she only weighs 8g how am I supposed to measure that out? I have been letting her take 1 very small lick of the liquid cal in the morning every other day to see where it gets her, and it has gotten her to orange fecals. I understand I give 1 drop per 100g, but she only weighs 8g.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ninjadewd":12s9obns said:
She doesn't weigh 100g, I weighed her on a very accurate scale and she weighed at 8g, as I said earlier (perhaps this was in my post that didn't submit. So if she only weighs 8g how am I supposed to measure that out? I have been letting her take 1 very small lick of the liquid cal in the morning every other day to see where it gets her, and it has gotten her to orange fecals. I understand I give 1 drop per 100g, but she only weighs 8g.

VetaFarm oral dosing is 4 drops / 100g lizard body weight (0.2ml for a 100g lizard) = Daily dose.

Flukers' oral dosing will be 2 drops / 100g lizard body weight ( 0.1ml for a 100g lizard to give equiv amount of calcium).

so if you can get CalciVet which contains VitD3 as well as calcium in solution that would be great.
Dose is (8/100) x 0.1ml = 0.01ml (a diabetics' syringe (will be perfect).

If you can only find the Fluker stuff , the dose is 0.005ml.
0.5ml syringes with very fine scale divisions are available from your vet or the drug store.

Yes dust the bugs with the Calcium that's vitD3 fortified for now as well.

CliffsMom

Hey I'm two years late to the party but I wanted to say this: I am so, so proud of how fast and thorough a job you did taking them in and getting them sorted. I don't know what happened to them after this but you did EVERYTHING right. P. S. The head shaking after the liquid calcium is because Flukers liquid calcium tastes like death ;-) So you don't worry about another dragon. Zilla brand calcium is much nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom