Mufasa and Norberta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already introduced me and Fasa, but I thought you all might like to see his cuteness, lol. I also have a question for you professionals: do you have any idea what morph he is?
82607-7214899291.jpg
82607-6370805064.jpg
Here he is sleeping in his new tree, slept in it all of last night.
Mufasa will just sit on my chest and nap or watch whats going on. ;)
One last question: Half the time he doesn't eat his crickets, is there anything I can do to help him eat?
Well, I think that's all for now! :) :)
Makayla.

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Took some pictures yesterday when I had the girls out!
82607-7544587604.jpg
82607-7311055292.jpg
82607-2721929425.jpg
82607-9037994016.jpg
Norberta's tank, some cute ones of her and one of her eyeing her meds lol. :lol:
82607-2048068331.jpg
82607-2231735313.jpg
82607-4306401061.jpg
Mufasa's tank and her, she was not in the mood to run around that day haha.
Both are eating and doing well, just slowed down a bunch for winter I think.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Awww, great pictures, they look the picture of health. And yes, I'm seeing alot of posts about winter slow downs. Every winter can be different for them, especially as they get older. Have you read the brumation article on this site? It's really easy to read, one of the old moderators wrote it about her 3 dragons. They all brumated differently.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Not just the beardies, either. I'm feeling a little like "brumating" or "hibernating" myself. :sleepy2: We're losing over 5 1/2 minutes of daylight per day here in Anchorage now, the weather's turning cool and rainy, and even though the trees have their beautiful fall colors on, I don't feel much like doing anything but staying in the house, even though I already did that for most of the summer.

My husband still braves the weather and walks to work most days, and plans to do so through the winter if all continues to go well with his current job, but we are both of the opinion that maybe the bears (and some beardies) have the right idea -- go to sleep in the fall, stay asleep in your den for the winter, and don't get back up until spring. :mrgreen:

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Aw thank you Deb! I'm so glad to hear you say that!! I didn't know it could be different, I was hoping they'd get a routine and stick to it after the first two year LOL. That does make sense though. I think I read it last year, need to go reread it again for this year.

SHBailey that sounds nice seeing as its been in the nineties here in Ohio, uhg, I was looking forwards to fall weather. That does sound like a great plan lol!

Friday I deep cleaned all the tanks (four in all, 2 beardies, 1 hermit crab tank and one ball python tank, then the dubia tank) which took me all day, sheesh they all have so much stuff even with one of my brothers helping out it was a lot of work. The beardies blankets got washed then but I was gone all day today and wasn't able to give them back to them until this evening, which I think traumatized poor Mufasa. She kept sitting in her empty cardboard bed looking darker than usual watching me with a slight stink eye and as soon as I put them back she climbed in and curled up on them. :lol:

We even counted my dubia, which I was really surprised by the outcome! There was 21 females, 7 males, and 297 babies! They've been busy the past few months lol. I had no dead adults or babies (pretty much a first!) either.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's great about the dubia tank. I have two, 1 for feeding and 1 for breeding. I'm glad your males are being good breeders an making lots of babies. Pretty soon you'll more adults and they'll make more babies. Takes about 6 mo for babies to fully mature into adults and adults have about 2 year life span. Yes, it's good to re-read the article, as it explains so much. I'm getting my 3 sleepers up tomorrow for baths and I have to start giving Cierra pumpkin because I know she has a poop in there she needs to get rid of, so I'll try to keep her up for 3 days to see if the pumpkin works. I hope so, then she can just sleep again.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I end up with several extra loads of laundry to catch up with every time we change out all the stuff in our beardie's tank. If both of us are home, one of us cuddles Puff while the other one cleans out the tank, and if he gets too wiggly we put on a jacket that zips up the front so we can give him a warm dark place to settle down and go to sleep. It works pretty well, but if he makes a poopy mess in his tank when my husband isn't home, then I have to put him in his little carrier while I clean up his tank, and he doesn't seem to like that because he probably thinks he's going to the vet to get poked with a needle for some reason or other. He usually gets over it fairly quickly once he gets back in his tank and makes sure that all his light bulbs and his little friend, the ghost dragon in the glass, are still there. I've usually got just enough spare towels so that he doesn't have to do without while the others are being washed, just as long as I can stay caught up with the laundry. Hopefully Mufasa has forgiven you for messing with the stuff in her living space. :wink:

Sounds like you all have thriving roach colonies. We haven't tried that yet -- still buying roaches at the pet store. They're fairly good about keeping them in stock so far, but if it ever gets too iffy, we might seriously consider trying to breed our own.

And it does seem like whenever you think you have your beardie all figured out, they do something unexpected. I guess that's just their way of keeping their human slaves on their toes. :p

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Mufasa pooped and its got red on the urate again. :/
Should I try and get a fecal for her? Or is it ok? She seems to feel fine but idk, it worries me just because she's never had this except for the last one.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I would get a fecal & show the red area. Could be anything, so hard to tell. Would it be difficult to get a fecal to your vet? Can you just take in the fecal and pay for that? Call & find out. I don't have to bring the dragons in when I take fecals in. I usually take in all 5 before brumation but they all had good poops with hardly any smell. It's just Imp I have to get one in, he's prone to parasites. The others are good, just have Cierra up, trying to get her to poop before letting her sleep again. Wish me luck!

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, I'll see what I can do. I don't actually have a vet, none are close by that take reptiles. But I've had some people suggest some vets that take reptiles and they are and hour + away, but I'll call and see. Thank you! And good luck with Cierra.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks, you could just see what the next one is. If it's an orange colour, that usually means too much calcium. Do you think it was blood? Or orange?

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm not sure what it is, my first thought is of course blood but idk. There is no liquid colored red, its just part of the urate. I can grab a pic if you'd like. Its reddish pink colored, not orange.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Ok, send me the pictures and I'll check it after breakfast. I'm home today, so hopefully I can figure it out for you.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hopefully the red urate will turn out to be nothing really serious. We have the same problem with our beardie, and it seems to be normal for him. I've taken some samples to the vet and she looked at it under a microscope and said it was crystalline, not cellular, so not blood. It's fairly chronic, and his urate is red or pink more often than not -- usually white or yellow urate comes out first, then the red stuff right before the poop, much like what you describe.

It is scary, because you tend to think "red = blood" and something must be horribly wrong :shock: , and good to have it checked, but if it turns out to be normal for your particular beardie, then you may just have to get used to it. :|

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We're trying keeping Mufasa hydrated, making sure she poops more often and keeping an eye on her supplements to see if that helps.
Yup that sounds just like hers. Glad to hear it isn't anything bad for Puff! I hope it doesn't become a norm, gives me a heart attack when I see it. :roll:
A pic of the girls, I have more I just need to pull them off the camera.
82607-9122795313.jpg
82607-7616051566.jpg
I switched their basking logs to see if they might work better for each of them and so far it looks like Mufasa has an easier time climbing it, and Norberta uses it just fine though she misses her little chin rest lol.
Norberta seems to be doing really good gout wise, I'm really proud of her. :love5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom