Broly the new super saiyan beardie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like you're making progress with Broly. I think Puff is about due for a poop if I remember correctly (I keep a log, but don't have it in front of me at the moment), so we'll see if he can hold it till his next bath or if it ends up in the tank. I've learned not to expect everything to happen nice and neat the way I'd like. :roll:

So who won the cobra lily vs wasp thing? Did the wasp get away without stinging someone or did the cobra lily "eat" it before it got too hot without being sprayed? :?

Some sleepy beardies don't seem to care much about the difference between one of their human slaves and their hide. When we do Puff's bedtime cuddle, sometimes if I'm really careful, I can put the "beardie burrito" (wrapped up in a little towel) back in the tank for the night without even waking him all the way back up again, and other times it doesn't go so well, but he almost always settles right down and goes back to sleep if the lights are off. Hard core diurnal. Last night his after bath cuddle turned into his bedtime cuddle, and that happens sometimes too. Other times he seems anxious to get in another hour of lightbulb worshiping before bedtime. No more midnight sun coming in through the windows this year -- it's dark outside at bedtime now. :sleepy2:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

My cobra won of course. No one was outside at the time.
I saw through the window. It was still tryin to move two days after going "down the throat". It finally got digested as I dont see a body just a shadow of a corpse. It seems a fly found its doom too. I was amazed as this small cobra lily grew to a "teen" and took down wasps. My brother is happy he can walk up my porch now without fear of being stung. That plant is a beast! Two of my new 6 Venus flytraps died...I have 4 left. These guys are from Walmart what do I expect? I should have got them from a nursery. I think my 4th is on its way out now too.

Tryin to train as Broly lifts his tail but of course not great with craneflies still. It had to be in the warmest room in the house! Tom's at work...so he can't get rid and me...Im a chicken...
On top of this housefly got on Broly's head..gross! Im going to wipe his head with water. I think soap hurts. So basically these two overrun my house right now. Not afraid of houseflies..thats good. I usually trap houseflies..I think they're gross but they never see it coming. Craneflies are wild fliers...they're so creepy it's the legs.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Wow. I guess if you had an army of those cobra lilies, you'd never have to worry about wasps again. :mrgreen:

I didn't even know you could get venus flytraps at Walmart, although I've never looked for them there. We have several Walmarts in Anchorage, and we get some of our stuff there, but only when we want and/or need really cheap stuff that does not have to be healthy or high quality. :wink:

Crane flies and houseflies are past their peak around here -- not too many of them around anymore. We will probably get snow in a month or so, but for now still just rain. Summer is definitely over for us here -- it rarely sticks around past August.

Water was probably sufficient to clean up any residue that Broly's brief encounter with a housefly might have left behind. :)

Puffie pooped in his tank two days in a row -- I was ready for a nap when he went "downstairs" and plopped a nice sloppy one at the bottom of his basking platform. No rest for the weary. Then a repeat performance the next day -- a little unusual for him to poop two days in a row, usually there are at least a couple of days in between. It might have had something to do with the Repashy Grub Pie snack I gave him. He went totally nuts -- he really REALLY likes that stuff. :blob5:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Broly hasn't gone since September 26. He's had pumpkin and veggies so he'll go soon. I'll catch it. He's not going today either so maybe tomorrow.
Kane is still asleep. Lights on 14 hrs but he sleeps through.
Broly same light schedule only difference he's still awake and eating everything. We're waiting for the gradual decline leading into brumation. It only happened to our 1 yr old so far. A lot of people would disagree with 1 yr olds brumating but I can't stop him. He's a July baby so he did his first year of growing. Broly brumated after he turned 1 and was down 2 mos and lost 18g after it all. Kane lost 8g this week so 17g so far. Not bad considering he's losing small amounts not 17 altogether.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

So one leo gecko passed away at 16 years old. Tom had her since hatchling. Old age nothing wrong with her.
On a brighter note, we have an african grey parrot from a friend. His name is Victor and he's 8 years old. He sings and dances. I come downstairs to feed the aquatics and Victor singing up a storm. He sang Circle of Life from Lion King. Beardies are not impressed! Don't worry they don't come near each other and definitely not left alone together. Tom had Kane enjoying his company because well Sonic died. Victor on my shoulder (he's not interested in attacking lizards) yells to Kane "hi buddy!" Kane opened his eyes looked at Victor. If those eyes talk..they'd say "no just no.."
Broly seems intrigued so Tom put Kane away and brought out Broly. What came next was shocking! Broly dashed over to me...Im thinking oh my god. I have Victor on my shoulder. Tom coming up behind Broly ready to catch him. Victor goes on my chest and it's a stare down Im telling Tom to get Broly away. Broly tilted his head and Victor starts talking to him like a person. Tom and I were like wth...
So after 30 minutes, Broly tires of Victor and goes to Tom and snuggles up. First time I seen my dragon cuddle ever! Nothing happened..Broly listened to Victor till he stopped talking. No bird mites on my dragon all is well. Victor leaned against my chest and fell asleep. I unfortunately had to put Victor in his gigantic cage and changed my clothes.
That was my adventure today. Eventful because of a death and somehow got a parrot out of it. Still caring for everyone. Shadow is fine btw. He was Sonic's mate.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry to hear about Sonic. That sounds like a ripe old age for a gecko, but I know you'll all still miss her.

Is Victor yours for keeps or are you just babysitting? Sounds like the beardies don't know what to make of a human voice coming out of a bird. Maybe they will eventually get used to it. I'd love to hear his rendition of "Circle of Life." :D

No major new developments around here. I've been can't-make-myself-do-anything depressed for most of the first half of the week -- my poor husband even had to clean up Puff's poop in the terrarium when he got home from work. I'm hoping today will be better -- Puff and I are planning to do our good morning cuddle and watch a Dr. Who rerun in a little while because I can't remember exactly what this episode is about so I have to see it again. :wink: (and hope to catch up on the laundry during the commercials.)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Victor is ours to keep. Our friend can't keep him and has no time for him. He sings everything Disney mostly. She did have young kids so that's probably how he got the songs. I heard him whistle some Beethoven or something like that. It was classical music. Then he just spouts random things. LOL. He sings in bits and pieces so he'll start then stop and talk then go back to it. He doesn't stick with it all the way. He does finish the song eventually.

Kane is back down asleep and hadnt had him "pop a squat" yet. He ate a couple days ago. He needs to get it out. I'll let him sleep a bit and try later. He's under the light at least.

Broly on the other hand, hasnt gone since Oct 1. It's the 5th now been 4 days since his last one. I know after 7 days I should start intervening. I know he's not impacted he didn't eat anything too big or inappropriate. He should go soon. If he did get impacted I wouldn't know how or what he ate. Our cat litter is locked up, so not that. He's 525g this week.
Kane is 514g. So no one is losing weight which is great news. Well it is colder so theyre reluctant to go. Warm enough for the carni plants to wake them up and try to eat one last time.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like Victor has lots of musical talent and a short attention span. :mrgreen:

Kind of frustrating to have beardies wanting to go for a long sleep when you know they don't have an empty digestive tract yet -- "no long naps until you poop" is kind of hard to enforce. :roll:

Puff and Broly and Kane are all around the same size. I don't usually weigh Puff at home because I don't think the little scale I have is very accurate, and his weight has been fairly stable, so he gets weighed at the vet's when he gets his checkups or goes in for some other reason. He's never been really serious about brumating so far -- and just as well, as far as I'm concerned, although lately he has seemed a little more willing to settle down for a long snuggle with a warm human body, and I can sometimes watch a whole hour long TV show with him before he gets wiggly, especially early in the morning. Then I usually put him back under his lights because I know I can keep him warm, but I can't help him make Vitamin D -- he needs to get his daily dose of the "pretty color" that he can see but I can't (UV) for that. I could probably cuddle him all night once the lights go out, but I wouldn't want to risk it -- I put him back in his tank when I get sleepy, or else my husband does it for me if I'm already too far gone. :sleepy2:

We will continue to lose over 5 1/2 minutes of daylight per day until we get close to the winter solstice, and we're still getting lots of clouds and rain with occasional sunny breaks, but getting too cold to keep any plants outside -- we've had at least one light frost overnight already. The reptiles can tell there's not as much light coming in the windows, so I don't blame them for being at least a little more sleepy than usual. Squirmles (corn snake) has already turned into the carnivorous couch potato, and spends most of his time coiled up in one of his favorite hides -- usually an empty Kleenex box. That works out nicely, because with my chronic allergies and sniffles, I keep him well supplied with empty Kleenex boxes to hide in, even when he pushes them in his water dish and gets them all soggy -- we're always stocked up with plenty of extra ones. :wink:

"Daddy" is doing the run to the pet store for crickets and roaches after work today -- the local store usually gets their shipment in on Fridays, so I hope they will have them in stock because we're all out. If not, we'll have to make do with the last of the Phoenix worms and Repashy Grub Pie, but that's what the Grub Pie is for -- emergency shortages of live bugs. And Puff probably won't mind at all because he really likes it, although it might make a some extra work for his human slaves cleaning up the poo... Either way, he won't starve. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Broly finally passed stool...lol. Not too big but normal looking. Once in a blue moon we'll have well formed stools. Mostly diarrhea-like. He also had a bath...not a stool taker in baths like his brother Kane.
Kane, him too...probably more in him. It was big. We'll try to get more next week.

Victor is learning to sing more than stop and talk. He finally got all the way through Let it Go from Frozen. No stopping or talking just went for it. After he was done he made phone noises dialing and ringing then answering "hello?" it was soo funny. Broly is not amused by this thing talking like a person. Kane could care less as it's cooling off. Still hitting 70s but night is cold. Im already putting on a coat to dump hamster cages outside (better than a mess on the floor). We have a big cage for them for each. We have male and female syrian hamsters. They live alone and so far no cancer. Vet confirmed.

Broly is slowing down but not asleep and he may be slow all winter. Kane sleeps for like 5 days and up for two and eats. Basks then back to bed doing this for 3 wks now. So he's not 100% asleep through winter. Broly...we don't know yet, right now just slowing down. He slept two mos Jan-Mar 2016. We don't know what will happen this year. Maybe sleep maybe just slow down. Right now him and Kane are sleeping in their windows soaking up sunshine...no uvb because glass and mesh cut most out. Too cold to open window anyway. I know a lot of people would pick going outside over tube bulbs...Im not allowed to be in the sun too long. I burn easy and no sunscreen would stop it. Im at risk for skin cancer. I sit under a tarp in summer. Tom can watch the dragons in the sun. I soak in some vit d too for like 15 minutes then done.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Well, don't feel too bad -- Puff's poops are usually mushy and difficult to clean up more often than not. That's why we like it when he does it in the water so we can just dump it down the drain. :)

Sounds like Victor is entertaining everyone except the beardies. :mrgreen:

It's really funny how much variation there is between individual beardies when it comes to brumation, everything from hardly even slowing down all the way to going almost completely comatose for several months, and at different times of the year, and just about anything in between. All the better to confuse and worry the heck out of their human slaves. :roll:

Our reptile vet says nothing beats natural sunlight for Vitamin D, but she's well aware that in Alaska there are very few days when it's warm enough to take a beardie outside (or just about any other kind of reptile, for that matter). Maybe some day they'll come up with some sort of transparent-to-UV, unbreakable, and cheap material to make windows out of so we can let our beardies sit by the window and soak up some full spectrum sun without getting cold in the winter, although you'd probably still need air conditioning for hot days in the summer.

I take my vitamin D in pills. There's no way I'd ever get enough from the sun around here, especially since I'm not into going outside without several layers of clothes covering pretty much all of my skin except for my face and hands. Our whole family has issues with Vitamin D, humans and reptiles both. We all have to do supplements to make sure we get enough (and hopefully this conversation won't trigger another spambot trying to sell us vitamin D :p ).

Nice sunny day here at the moment. We have to enjoy every little bit of sunshine we get because it's going to get very scarce during the next several months. Snow on the tops of the mountains already...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Ikr? Another spambot is what we need.

It's cold and tomorrow is rain for four days.
Broly isnt eating and Kane well we know...
It seems almost everyone's beardie is going into brumation.

Geckos and skinks are eating. Hmm, nobody knows what triggers brumation but it's happening to almost everyone. I was kinda hoping Broly wouldn't sleep but I think he's going to at some point during winter.

I usually get enough sun from watering the garden in summer. It's not intense sun. Hot days we have uv index of 6. So watering a lot of flower beds (we can take them inside) of carnivores is enough sun for my body. Im terrible when we gotta go outside in the sun.

Sun is slowly going away and rain gradually coming and staying till May or June. Terrible wind storms too. They all stay till late spring or early summer.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So far, Puff isn't showing any consistent signs of getting real serious about brumation, and hasn't done so in previous years either, although I'm told they can surprise you. Just as well, since I'm not so sure that he's healthy enough to sleep that long with the ADV, and most people don't think it's essential for their health, just a way to survive hard winters in the wild.

I figure that it's probably triggered by less light -- even if you don't change the timing on your artificial lights, unless you keep your beardies in a basement, they can still see the light that's coming in the windows or not. But I've heard that some of them still seem to have their biological clock set for the southern hemisphere even if they're in the north, so they may have some sort of internal clock as well.

Puff went hormonal right after the winter solstice in late 2014 - early 2015, and I figured he was making up for lost time, because the year before he had been too sick to care about making little dragons. So his biological clock was apparently running about 3 months fast that year. :?

My husband loves being outdoors (and hates being cooped up in the house) on a nice day, but I get tired quickly, especially in the sun, and have to go back inside. I guess I'm a lot like Puff that way -- after a short while, we need to go back into our nice little safe controlled environment. No sense of adventure. :roll:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

You're lucky. My dragon is going down. He was very excited to have pumpkin though. He fought me on cleaning his face so yeah. He'll get a bath on the 16th. He's getting weighed tomorrow. He also won't touch greens...maybe collards.

Kane will be up for two days soon eating everything.
He'll pass stool in water. Broly will be our reluctant guy to pass stool. He'll eat and sit off to the side of the basking bulb. I guess that counts...Idk.

I have a fidget spinner...Idk it's actual purpose in people's lives. I guess the spinning part is fun? Idk. It kept me in task with washing a lot of dishes. I get distracted and stop washing and just turn off the water. Tom's mom thought it would be a good idea to make it a game. It's called "spin and wash" so basically she spins it and I'll do what needa to be done. Kinda beat the clock if you will call it that. sometimes there's so much to wash that the spinner will beat me.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Puff is still awake, so if he makes it through the next 3 months or so (past the winter solstice) without going down for a really long sleep (not counting night time and little short naps during the day), I'll probably figure we don't have to worry about it this year (as usual). Then for the next 3 or 4 months after that it will be time to watch out for hormonal craziness, but that usually doesn't last very long in his case either, so I guess we are pretty lucky with him, all things considered.

Little accident in the tank fairly early in the morning the other day -- couldn't wait for the bath when Daddy came home in the evening. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go... :roll: Squirmles hasn't pooped since he last meal over the weekend either, which is a little unusual, but not cause for concern yet. Like Puff, he's been known to go for up to two weeks without a poop, and no apparent problems.

I've seen pictures of those fidget spinners but I've never tried playing with one (at least not yet), nor have I even actually seen one in person. I read an article in the local newspaper in which they were speculating about whether or not they're a help or a distraction for kids with ADHD in school, and that was the first I'd heard of them. I guess the jury is still out, so the bottom line is probably: Go for it if it works for you, :D pretty much like just about anything else.

My husband likes to listen to music while he studies, and I could never figure that out, because when I study I have to have it completely quiet or I can't concentrate. But he says the rhythm of the music somehow helps him stay on task, and I have since learned that this does seem to work for some people -- something to do with the way your brain is wired, I guess. :?

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I used to study to japanese music in school. My teachers would put on some stuff. Early 2000s music wasnt too bad. I liked most of the bands then. When I draw, I listen to a horror movie these days. Either it's good or campy.

Well return of the "normal" stool has happened. When I say normal I mean diarrhea like. Super normal would be the stool everyone says is normal. Smells normal had a nice urate (that never changes) but the stool was mixed with water. It was orange and brown...barely eating greens. So bugs, pumpkin and butternut squash was his stool. He was 533g but after letting out a horrid pile of orange and brown mess he dropped some grams. I had to give him a bath, too messy to keep it off his vent and foot. Oh well time for his gout med and bromelain.

Ok done with that. He fought me but he wouldn't take it on food.

Kane: his always are normal not like Broly's normal. Woke up took a bath, passed stool and you guessed it..eating! He eats like it's spring. So the brumation cycle for him is sleep five days wake up for two days eating and basking and using the bathroom and back down. Basically his weight is up and down. Saturday he'll sleep and wake up Thursday. That's normal for him.

I hope Squirmles goes soon but yes it's normal up to two wks.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom