when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":19uu8fof said:
Sounds like you've got a lot of "sweat equity" wrapped up in making your house comfy for your family and your critters.

My husband and I have been talking about painting and replacing the wood paneling (NOT a professional job; it was there when I bought it) in our house ever since we got married 18 years ago, and the wood paneling is still there and the walls are still white (bo-o-oring), and it's getting less and less likely that we're ever going to get around to it, although he has some big plans for the yard...

I've come to the conclusion that a house is always a work in progress -- if you ever get it exactly the way you want it, you better take a picture and save it because it's not going to stay that way for very long. :roll:

Yep .... it's work in progress (you should see my front patio .... building materials storage area ....

Next big renovation is a nice big deck along the length of the back of my house and a roll-off roof observatory to finally give my big astrograph and the big heavy (currently tripod mounted) GEM a permanent home , and maybe some raised beds to grow herbs and berry plants and vegs in.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update on Peppa and Toothless
Toothless is having a growth spurt , gained 28g this week (now 536g).
Peppa is steady wobbling between 670g and 700g (pooed yesterday (big one she saved for about 7days , and delivered yesterday , I was ready with the olive oil and then discovered she'd delivered).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Your reptiles will probably enjoy the deck and the veggie garden as much as you do once you get it all done.

So Peppa and Toothless are over a year and a half old (if I remember correctly) and still growing -- but I wonder if Peppa is disappointed that she didn't manage to hold it long enough this time to get her human slave to give her a bath. :wink:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Toothless and Peppa's growth has definitely started plateauing .... time to cut back the insects again ,since they no longer need as much insect protein (as they are not growing much anymore) and are nearly full grown.

Peppa scored a new , slightly larger rearing tub yesterday after her old tub finally packed it in (split from old age and UV exposure). The new tub is slightly larger , 105L and a little wider. So I've had to move Toothless and his tub to the top story.

Wont be in tubs very much longer , my fitness and mobility has improved a fair bit and in a few months I am hoping I'll be mobile enough to build the new beardie mansion (two bay 4x2x2).

Toothless noticed Peppa was now in the bottom tub right away this morning, made a dash up to it ,and really studied Peppa who was planking/basking ontop her jumbo hubbahut across to her grotto and basking who stared right back at him, then he started his headnodding routine which got a slow alternative armwave and slow headnodding off Peppa.

My wife thinks Toothless thinks Rex is back. But I am not so sure , he's definitely interested in Peppa.

Not full on headbobs or BBing from him , so I guess he knows it's not quite "The Season" yet. The beardiechat didn't last long before he lost interest in her and headed off to do his usual kitchen routine.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Summer is winding down here in Alaska (rain, rain, and more rain), so I have to remind myself that it's almost spring for you. If Toothless and Peppa are already starting to flirt with each other, I suppose things could get pretty crazy in the near future. Your plans for a building a new enclosure sound like it will be very nice for them when you get it done. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa's hormones seem to have kicked in , had a hard job feeding her today, too focused on Toothless , kept climbing up and wanting to headnod and armwave at him , only managed to get one silkworm and 6 medium crickets into her , and forget about some choi .... was wanting down and to visit Toothless by then.
So I gave in and deposited her on the floor to do her thing.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
At least she ate something -- that's better than nothing.
Sounds like those two are probably going to drive you nuts for the next few weeks. :blob5: :blob8:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":eh9v624y said:
At least she ate something -- that's better than nothing.
Sounds like those two are probably going to drive you nuts for the next few weeks. :blob5: :blob8:

I expect so .... but I'm used to it now ....

George has been obsessing over Mildred too (BTs) , not bad considering he's about 8 year old now , still has plenty of mojo.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Let's see -- what's that old saying about elderly humans who still have their "mojo" -- something like "Just because there's snow on the roof doesn't mean there isn't still fire in the basement." :mrgreen:

Sounds like you're looking forward to a fun spring. Almost fall here in the subarctic -- still managing to get some nice sunny days in between the rainy ones, but expecting them to get fewer and farther between. We almost always have snow on the ground by Halloween. Puff the "magic" bearded dragon goes to sleep early some evenings and is still wide awake when it's time for his bedtime cuddle other evenings. Squirmles the Amazing Solar Powered Snake (hormonal,hyperactive, and anorexic "I'm not interested in a mouse, thank you -- drop a lady snake in here and see what I do") left for the year a couple of months ago, to be replaced by the Carnivorous Couch Potato, which is what he will be until around the end of the winter. He's 15 years old now, so we've been through this a number of times and we pretty much know the drill. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
last couple of months I've been restricting the live insects (crickets and supers) but they've also been getting 1 large or 2 medium sized silkworms each per day + some crickets & greens.

23sep2017_RAW.png

Raw growth curves for Peppa & Toothless.

23sep2017_NORMALISED.png

Normalised growth curves for Peppa & Toothless.

Toothless is in shed on his chin, lips, face and nose again.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Looks like their growth rate is leveling off nicely as it probably should since they're going on two years old. Sounds like they're both healthy, and you just have to put up with those pesky sheds. :wink:

Your growth charts and statistical analyses are always impressive.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
.... Spring has sprung

and Toothless is now mega horny .... he was even biting at the side of Peppa's tub while she was doing slow head nods at him . No BB and extra expressive headbangs from him , but that will come.

Toothless has been bouncing off the walls the last two weeks, particularly hypo today .... into all sorts of mischief .... he's always been highly sprung , but he has been like a force of nature lately LOL ....

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Your turn for spring and beardies bouncing off the walls wanting to make little dragons :blob8: :blob5:

Over here on the other side of the world, it's our turn for shorter days, cooler temperatures, and beardies wanting to sleep all day. Here in Anchorage, the rain is likely to turn into snow in about a month or so. Puff is a little more likely to stay wrapped up in his "burrito" for half the day unless I unwrap him so he can soak up some UV, and his "after bath" cuddle in the evening often turns into his "bedtime cuddle" so we sometimes give up on squeezing in the last hour of basking. So far, he has never been really serious about brumating -- just tends to sleep a little later in the morning and a little earlier in the evening. :sleepy2: :| :sleepy2:

Our snake turns into the carnivorous couch potato this time of year. :wink:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I knew this was coming, had the same with Puff for his 2nd and 3rd springs , boy did we have a torrid 2nd spring , every on the floor looked sexy to him ....

Since Toothless is literally hyped up on hormones at the moment and really burning up the calories I've increased his bug intake (an extra 2 - 3 medium crickets and he gets the larger silkworm while Peppa is playing it cool (she gets a couple of medkum silkworm ( I think she's sick of the darned silkworms , she's starting to need coaxing to eat them , not because she's not hungry just she's not in the mood for them , if I drop a few mealworms , or superworm in front of her gone in a flash).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Toothless again !

He has been officially called a ""little devil" by my wife this afternoon. Second afternoon running he's been into everything and even pushed the archive tub away from the corner cupboard where the crockery is kept on the bottom shelf , this time he immediately made a dash for the same spot nand made himself comfy by curling up in one of our good yellow floral glased porceline soup bowels.
She roused at him and immediately banished him from the kitchen for the day and deposited him straight back into his jumbo rearing tub.

I suppose I need to get off my big butt and replace the broken 160deg hidden hinge with ne new one which has been sitting on the kitchen window sill for a couple of years, and then reattach the missing bifold under bench corner door to keep him out of the crockery and make her happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom