Sluggish and no appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a young Beardie for about five to six weeks, his temperatures are ok and I’m pretty sure that he’s getting the right amount of uvb. His old light that wasn’t as hot and didn’t give enough uvb light was what I was using when he was more active. What should I do?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Set your PowerSun between about 10-16'' and try to get the basking surface temps around 100-105 with cooler areas around it. Give him some time under that setup and see if he perks up a bit. It may take a few days for him to adjust. Keep a close eye on the surface temps around the tank as they can fluctuate.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Keep trying. It might be worth ordering a small container of black soldier fly larvae and see if he'll go after some wiggly worms.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he is going into a shed phase, his appetite could be affected.
Definitely try the phoenix worms, they tend to be favorites of a lot of dragons.
The lighting changes may help him out as well. Let us know how that goes!

Tracie

ironclaw37

Original Poster
STill very lethargic:( I bought some Dubai for him to try out and will get some Phoenix worms for him too. Thanks for all of the help!

ironclaw37

Original Poster
STill very lethargic:( I bought some Dubai for him to try out and will get some Phoenix worms for him too. Thanks for all of the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear he is still lethargic right now. Can you post some pictures of the tank
& of him just so we can see his physical condition?
Have you double checked the temperatures for him to be sure he isn't getting too hot or
that he's warm enough?
Is his beard black at all?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I suggest get another thermometer and check those temperatures, as this sounds like a he's been exposed to excessive temperatures and has reached a critical stage , the temperatures are level A = above his critical thermal maximum temperature (above 44 deg Celsius) and perhaps lethal range (above 46 deg Celsius) , he has been UNable to thermoregulate / find a suitably cool area in his viv, he has now lost his locomotion and will likely be dead soon unless urgent action is taken (which will likely involve a reptile vet).

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":2ykseldb said:
I suggest get another thermometer and check those temperatures, as this sounds like a he's been exposed to excessive temperatures and has reached a critical stage , the temperatures are level A = above his critical thermal maximum temperature (above 44 deg Celsius) and perhaps lethal range (above 46 deg Celsius) , he has been able to thermoregulate / find a suitably cool area in his viv, he has now lost his locomotion and will likely be dead soon unless urgent action is taken (which will likely involve a reptile vet).

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

I've been reading this post, but I didn't chime in at all because I hadn't read any of the prior posts on his back history, but Knobbys has had the same thought as I did last night while reading through all of them, that he has gone through either "heat exhaustion" or "heat stroke" and needs to get to an experienced reptile vet ASAP. I'm using human medical terms here but they are applicable. With a cold blooded creature this is an emergency, especially if he's gotten to the point where he's now just laying there, not moving.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing tonight? Are you going to be able to get him to a vet for analysis?
Since he is so lethargic he is not feeling well & needs some medical attention as soon as
possible.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom