UVB & Glass??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katacara

Hello everyone! I am wondering about the amount (if any) of UVB that might get through window glass? I know that the UVB bulbs that we use do not work through glass, but I also know that natural sun is so much stronger and better.

My dragons love to sit in my windows, which right now is fine because I can open them to let the UVB in. I live in MA and winter is coming so soon I will have to close all my storm windows. My dragons go crazy in their tanks! Always wanting out, so they pretty much free-range all day (and some nights if I can't find them). I have one basking spot set up for them with a UVB bulb but they do not use it much because they prefer the windows. I also have a "swimming" pool set up for them, and a salad bar as well.

If no UVB or not enough UVB makes it through the window glass, I will just buy and set up some UVB bulbs above the window ledge, I am also going to be adding a basking spot for the window area.

Because they free-range so much I want to make sure that they are safe, and getting what they need to be happy and healthy!

Thanks for your help!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Pretty much no uvb will go through the glass. There is special glass that does let uvb in though. I am curious about where to get it from for future window box use myself. It would probably be easiest to get a mega ray for the window for both uvb and heat.

Katacara

Original Poster
Mega Light?? I have not herd of this.... could you give me a brand name or online store so I can check them out?

I would love to only need 1 fixture!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use two of them as portable basking spots in different parts of the house. I don't put them right in the window but they are available when my guy is cruising around the house on the floor. It should sit about 10-12'' up for best UVB exposure. Here is how I have one of mine set up.

76248-2881195503.jpg

Katacara

Original Poster
Nice! Thank you!! I will put those on my "things I need to get" list.... It's such a long list, and it seems to never stop growing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom