Possible respiratory infection?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Possible respiratory infection?

Postby rachelrose » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:32 pm

I have a beardie that's about 3 months old, and just a few days ago I noticed that hes starting to make these weird noises. He will puff out his beard (doesn't turn black though) and he will gape his mouth and make this weird popping noise, almost like a cough or a wheeze. But he's very active and eats a ton, he's acting fine besides that. My humidity averages at about 32% and basking spot temp is about 100 degrees. Could it just be from shedding or is it a respiratory infection? Need a second opinion before I take him to the vet. Thank you !
rachelrose
Newbie Poster

Re: Possible respiratory infection?

Postby CooperDragon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:56 pm

If he's active and eating well, he's probably OK. It could just be a little mucous making the sound or just air pockets in his beard. If he had an infection he would probably be less energetic and may lose interest in food. I'd keep an eye on his behavior and monitor the mucous level looking for increases around the mouth and nose.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Re: Possible respiratory infection?

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 pm

rachelrose wrote:I have a beardie that's about 3 months old, and just a few days ago I noticed that hes starting to make these weird noises. He will puff out his beard (doesn't turn black though) and he will gape his mouth and make this weird popping noise, almost like a cough or a wheeze. But he's very active and eats a ton, he's acting fine besides that. My humidity averages at about 32% and basking spot temp is about 100 degrees. Could it just be from shedding or is it a respiratory infection? Need a second opinion before I take him to the vet. Thank you !

Humidity Is fine.

If you can't see bubbles forming at the lips , nose, he's fine.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born 9/2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Return to Beardie ER