Arcadia compact globes and calcium D3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seeing that with specific uvb you shouldn't use calcium with d3. But its only saying with tube uvb so I'm wondering if I have a compact uvb globe should I still use calcium with d3 3 times a week or only once a week.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It really depends on exactly what compact UVB light you have, and what the wattage is. Most compact UVB bulbs are not adequate wattage for bearded dragons, including the Reptisun 10.0 compact UVB bulb, which is only 13 watts, and even the Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB tube if it's on top of any type of mesh lid and not within 6-8" of the main basking spot. Unless you're using a compact UVB bulb that is at least 26 watts, it's really playing with fire, especially if on top of mesh...I've not heard good things about the Arcadia compact UVB bulbs at all, their 12% and 14% tubes are fantastic, but just like the Reptisun 10.0 compacts, they just don't emit strong enough UVB light for a bearded dragon.

As far as Calcium, you actually should be using both with and without vitamin D3, even with a very strong UVB tube like the Arcadia 12% or the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO, you just don't need to use the D3 as often. I have been using nothing but 18", 24", and 36" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes for the past decade for 4 beardies, one being a rescue with severe MBD and partial paralysis of his back legs, and #1 Their age determines how many times a week total I dust with anything, and then #2 the UVB light being used determines how often per week I use Calcium with D3. Using a strong, efficient UVB tube such as the Arcadia 12% or the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO is obviously your best bet, as supplements and even food are not replacements for adequate UVB exposure for beardies. You cannot guage how much calcium and/or D3 they are really ingesting by dusting, nor how much they will actually absorb. For my babies up to 8 mo the I dust their live insects every single day with Calcium, and 5 times a week with a multivitamin. I use Calcium with D3 3 times a week, and without D3 4 times a week. For 8 months (sometimes I won't change until they are a year or older, as with the rescue with MBD) and older I dust with Calcium 5 times a week and multivitamins 3 times a week, and I use D3 2 times a week and without D3 3 times a week.

If I was using a compact UVB bulb that was not at least 26 watts (which most aren't, again the Arcadia compacts do not get good reviews, though I don't know the wattage, the Reptisun 10.0 compact is only 13 watts, half the necessary UVB or half the wattage of the 10.0 T5HO), and the beardie was under a year old, and I couldn't get his basking spot within 3-4" of the compact UVB bulb unobstructed (by mesh) I'd probably be dusting with D3 every day.

It's that big a deal. But again, I don't know what the wattage of the Arcadia compact UVB bulb you're using, that is going to make the decision for you, well, and how it is mounted and at what distance it is from his basking spot. My recommendation is to switch to the Arcadia 12% tube, that's the best way to ensure he's getting proper UVB, UVA, and can get his vitamin D3 naturally, by making it himself, which is the best way.

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
Oh yes I forgot I have the I think 23 watt Arcadia 12 with d3. And its in the middle and IN the vivarium nothing is covering it or stopping the uvb its usually about 20 cms away from my beardie. Its weird because I've seen that the at ar Arcadia compacts are the best compacts you can get only because they replicate sun well. I am getting a new viv at the end of the year. The one I have now only has compact fittings. I usually use calcium with d3 about 3 times a week. She's been sleeping in a lot because she's still coming out of brumation. I live in Australia so its only just became spring. So since she wakes up so late around 11am - sometimes 2pm I dont know how much to give her. When its sunny I take her out for 10 mins max. Because she gets to cold. Those days depending on the UV index I dont give her calcium with D3. I give her multivitamin 1-2 a week she's about a year and a half.

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
She seems healthy she eats, basks, runs around when I take her out for a play, she has no parasites. I feed her endive as a staple and bok choy and coriander some days. She has 10 woodies a day and some times a few calci worms. I bathe her around 3- 4 times a week. Her temps are 26 cool side 35 warm side and basking spot 45. Just saying in case anybody has tips :)

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
If it's a 23 watt watt bulb and it's unobstructed by anything and within 11" of her basking spot, it should be fine to use Calcium with D3 only a few times a week, sounds like a good strong UVB bulb. I wish that Reptisun would make an adequate compact UVB bulb, they just insist on making only the 10.0 compact that is 13 watts, and has to be within 3-4 inches of the basking spot to be effective. I've seen so many people new to beardies that buy that Reptisun compact 10.0 thinking it's a fantastic UVB bulb because it's a Reptisun 10.0, and the always put it in a deep-dome and set it on top of a mesh lid at at least 8" or more away, and their beardies stop eating almost immediately and then it all goes downhill. Then you have to tell them that they bought the wrong Reptisun 10.0, and that they not only have to buy a new UVB tube, but they also have to buy a new fixture for it, and they refuse or can't afford it, and it's a nightmare.

No Arcadia bulbs here at all, I used a 12% tube a long time ago I bought at a show, and it was excellent, but I've never seen one for sale since. Honestly I'd be buying them if Reptisun didn't make the 10.0 T5HO tubes, their T8 tube is okay, but has to be unobstructed and within 6", and replaced every 5-6 months, so really their 10.0 T5HO tubes are the only really great UVB light they make. It's annoying.

The only thing I would say to you is to be sure that your 23 watt compact is in a fixture that can somewhat reflect the light, it should be fine if it's mounted inside the enclosure, but I see people putting them in deep-dome fixtures which focus the light straight downward and that's it. I guess that's why I have always really loved the long tubes with reflectors behind them, the light basically fills the enclosure from all sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom