when should i start considering getting a 40-50 gallon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
So i'm currently using a 20 gallon tall. By my estimate, i think that my baby bearded dragon is about 8 inches from nose to tail.

only one LFS (the only one i trust outside of petsmart) delivers. I looked online and for just the glass aquarium itself it's about 110-150 depending on where i get it, with probably another 20.00 for the lid.

Since i assume the measurements given in the chats on this site were for nose to tail in inches.

Please advise on thoughts about this. Until my schedule stabilizes socialization time is not fixed sadly. I finish my warehouse job this week and then will be just working my call center job full time as of 10/2 with one more week of part time schedule for it after this week to get a free couple days off.

I need to clean the bathtub section of my tub shower before i can let him run around the bottom of it.

Any ideas and comments welcome.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In my opinion, the sooner the better with a larger tank. It gives more room to roam around and it also allows you to build a good heat and light gradient across the tank. If you have a Petco nearby I'd wait for their $1 per gallon sale and pick up a 40g breeder tank. Otherwise, the most cost effective solution is to build your own which will allow you to go bigger. At least 4'x2'x2' is the best way to go. I'd build slightly taller than that. This is a walkthrough of a popular build that may give you some ideas. https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i would love to build my own but I don't have the tools and I live in a one bedroom condo with very little 'deck space' about the width and length of a hallway. Though it being glass i'm sure it's influencing the glass surfing a little as well as the fact that it's a 20 gallon tall instead of a 20 gallon long.

4x2x2 is that a 40 gallon or is that bigger since beardie will be growing into it.

I know he probably wants more climbing space or interaction as he is still occasionally glass surfing. It's either the runt or the female that i got. I still can't tell the couple times i was able to look at the tail.

Please advise.

Savora

Hatchling Member
PetCo has $1 per gallon deals every few months, and if I'm not mistaken the deal cycles through different areas of America (assuming you're in America or a different place with PetCos). I live in the southeast, and their $1/gallon deal ended in August, so it should be back in a few months. A Google search for your area and the $1 per gallon deal at PetCo should tell you when your area is due for it again. Anyways, the deal is a LIFESAVER; 40 gallon breeder tanks (which is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM size that some beardie keepers suggest) usually cost $160+, so hop on that deal when you can!
Also, check your local Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace for terrariums and aquariums, people are usually always selling them for pretty cheap. I've gotten a really good deal on some used reptile equipment (like a dome fixture and a CHE) there, too!

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The petcos near me leave alot to be desired, as they mostly focus on dogs and cats. I need someone to deliver since i live up two flights of stairs and wouldn't be able to carry something that big. That's why it'd probably have to be the LFS that i know DOES deliver.

Also I am a little leary about buying from someone off Craigslist and FB market place. Things can happen and i'd rather not end up six feet under.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
UPDATE:

40 gallon Zilla brand reptile aquarium gotten. Delivered today right after I bought it as i was so close to that LFS i got it from and the extra representative had his truck there. This should hold me for at least 2-3 years when i'll need to actually get the 75 gallon aquarium and stand together as i have nothing big enough or long enough to hold a 75 gallon tank. They were even nice enough to clear out the old twenty gallon tall that i won't be using again.

Got a piece of driftwood from petsmart and rinsed it off before putting it in the aquarium with my beardie. I have it set up in a way that the one side is a 'ramp' and the rest forms than arch that he can lay on or lay under as this driftwood is on the cool side of the tank.

Also the small crickets at the LFS i got the 40 gallon from are bigger than the ones from Petsmart. since i had gotten his basking lamp fixed initially he's been eating (and 'evacuating') normally, at least once a day. Also picked up a spare 40-50 gallon size green repticarpet to swap out with the other one when i wash it.

Spoiled baby is spoiled. I still have a hunch without being able to identify the gender I got a female or the runt of the hatching.

Going to leave baby alone for a couple days outside of the times i take them out for misting/baths/cage cleaning so that they can get used to the new area. I will post pictures soon...I promise...

I left my phone in the car though so that will be dependent on how much charge is left when i get home after my shift this evening.

I will also be keeping an eye out as i may need to put a heater on top of the enclosure in the winter on the cool side as it's a screen top and no room to thread the cords through the top to the back. Though i keep the temperature inside my condo to 71-72 in the winter on heating so i should still be fine without.

Have a great day.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's great you were able to get an upgrade so soon. I'm sure he'll appreciate it. If the room temp is in the low 70s all winter that should be perfect without needing any additional heat. I look forward to seeing photos of the new setup =)

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I was really happy they were able to deliver same day.

I think i have room for another small piece of driftwood in the back but am resisting so as not to crowd out the food and water dishes. I should have a picture up sometime today.

Also I think the natural wood should help with the nails without me having to clip then i don't think i could bring myself to personally clip my beardies nails.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So below is the setup taken before the lights come on at 10am Eastern.

I probably could do with one more piece of driftwood in there but dont' want to crowd the water and the smaller veg bowl

Me posting pictures this fast does NOT happen often. But at least i have something he/she can grow into for two to three years.

Also I"ll leave you with this...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a good setup. I think my next addition would be a wide piece of wood or maybe a fake plant of some sort in order to create a shady area. That isn't something urgent though, just something to consider for the next round of improvement.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Probably leaning up against the rock or in the center. Might need to play around with it a bit and make adjustments based on his reactions though.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So i found a piece of driftwood that stands as a ramp right in front of the 'rock' have in the tank. The also had a spare of those 'rocks' there at petsmart so i got one to swap out, still need to clean the other one. may still have room for one more item but he doesn't use the 'cave' portion of the rock.

I don't know why i'm saying he. From what I was able to see in my bathroom mirror as i held the tail up it looks like my suspicions may be correct that i got a female. That would account for the small size at this age as there was definitely a larger one there in the shared display (actually two others) in the shared display when i bought her.

Definitely likes the bigger 'small' crickets i get from World of Pets where i got the 40 gallon. Also since i hadn't had a chance to feed her before work because her lights weren't on yet i fed her straight when i got home with ten to twenty crickets which she started going after.

My female still wants to run straight to my shoulder which she never makes it to as i 'walk her' on my hand since she's still trust building. She did sit a good ten minutes still on my right hand as i tried to get my guild battles in for summoners war before she started getting figity. After a few minutes of walking her i got her back into the tank and finally angled my hand so that she took the hint and stepped off onto the driftwood

hope you're having a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom