Rescue Beardie - Injury or fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a couple of weeks ago I was in a pet store and as a known Beardie owner (Lucky age 14 mos) I was asked if I wanted to take an injured beardie for free. He was supposedly housed with another beardie
as babies and they fought and both have been recovering from injuries since June. My guy (now named Pancake or Pan for short) fared better than the other guy but was still missing most of the toes on his rear foot and I was told it was likely another would fall off and it since has. They did not give me any care instructions for the injury and I assumed since so much time had elapsed that most of what I was seeing was scarring.

Today my daughter noticed that the underside of his foot is yellow. I am freaking out that he has yellow fungus and that we are going to transfer it to Lucky inadvertantly. Since he has not been with me for long and has not shed - I am also wondering if it is betadine staining and it will come off eventually. I will be going to the store tomorrow with him for their best answers and then possibly to the vet.

Pictures:

Foot missing toes
89868-6079916796.jpg

Yellow foot:
89868-5092189340.jpg

Unlike my first beardie he is not eating as well as I would like and he is sometimes agressive and does not want to be picked up. I hope that the eating is just transition to a new home and I am hopeful that with repeated handling the attitude will also change. But now if he has yellow fungus I am so worried about handling with another beardie in the house.

Does this look like yellow fungus?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is really hard to tell if that's yellow fungus or not, it is possible since you did just adopt him.
Is he housed alone now?
To be proactive, you could get some anti-fungal cream to use on the area, daily to see if that
helps it to improve. Have you bathed him to see if it would come off with a soft toothbrush?
Otherwise, if it persists, it would be a good idea to take him to the vet for a skin scraping to
be sure it isn't yellow fungus.
That poor foot! Are you using any type of ointment on it? You can try raw, unpasteurized
honey or manuka honey on it to help with any healing. Be sure there aren't any loose bugs in
his tank so they aren't attracted to the honey.
You can try some bee pollen to help with his appetite, also.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's nice that you've given little Pancake a good home. :) He looks nice + chubby. It is possible that it's betadine stain....were you the one using betadine or did they do it at the store ? If so was it just that foot that was soaked ? Another possibility is that when beardies have an injury, that particular area will shed differently....it happens quite often so I'm pretty sure that's what it is, a betadine stain or just shedding differently. And yes it may be Y.F like Tracie said, but hopefully it's one of the other things I mentioned.

If you can, get a few closer ups of it.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
We can't tell from that photo, need close ups...But does he have any other yellow spots anywhere on his body, like around his vent? Is it at all scabby or rough in the yellow areas? Was he on colored sand at the bet shop? That will surely dye his feet if he was.

In the meantime be sure to keep him in a separate area from your other beardie, a separate room is better until you find out for sure. It looks as though his tail is shedding or is going to shed in that photo, but his foot could be a fungal infection, just can't tell, and since yellow fungus is sooooooooo contagious, you need them completely separate and you must thoroughly wash your hands before and after handling each lizard, every single time. I'd go buy a bottle of Hibiclens at Walmart or the drugstore, you can mix it with a bottle of water and wash your hands with it, it kills EVERYTHING and is what is now used in most scrub packs in operating rooms for surgeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom