beardie hiding usually when out of his cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

damogets

I've got a quick question about typical 'roaming' beardie behavior. I've seen on a lot of youtube videos beardies that seem to be pretty sociable when they're out. IE coming up to or on people in order to grab objects out of their hands and the like...

I've had a beardie for about 6-9 months now, he's about a year, maybe a year and a half old, I'd say. Anyway, when he's out, 9 times out of ten he'll start roaming around the place and go to one of 4 or 5 usual spots, where he burrows a little bit, hunkers down, and stays there. He doesn't seem too averse to human contact. He'll happily walk over a person, even their face, to get where he wants, pausing and licking every few steps. Sometimes I think he goes to sleep when he reaches his destination; it's usually under something. More often than not it's under the heat register, down near the floor. No, I don't let him do anything like that when the register is on, btw. It's totally a pain to get him out from under there, though.

He doesn't do this nearly as often when it's just me and him. He does it almost every time, when my son is around, though. I guess that's understandable, as my son, though 11, pets him just a tiny bit harder than I think our beardie likes. Not actually pressing or squeezing him, but it does move his head or torso a bit, as opposed to the feather touch that I use (which he seems to not mind at all). Also, if there's bright light, he'll roam more often, even when it's just me. He doesn't keep roaming, though, he may do it for a bit, but then he ends up in a hiding spot. If it's darker, he'll usually snuggle up to doze, though. If it's really bright, he may roam around the apartment for awhile, first.

So I'm curious as to whether or not this is normal, or if he's under some kind of stress. Clearly the lighting has a bit to do with it. Out of the dozens/hundreds of times we've had him out, he's only hidden and flared his beard/turned it black once or twice, so I don't think he's too angry or stressed about it. Just wanted to make sure that he's not too uncomfortable about it all.

Thank you for any input!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it's common for them to find a few favorite cozy spots and retreat to them after a bit of roaming. My signature photo is of one of my dragons hiding in his favorite cozy spot under the stereo on top of the atari. What I've found works well is to set up a portable basking area using a heat lamp hanging from a stand or perhaps a clamp lamp. Set that up in the room he's roaming around in and see if he returns to that to bask and warm back up. If they get cold they tend to bunker down but if they can easily warm back up it seems to extend the time they like being out and about.

76248-2881195503.jpg

damogets

Original Poster
Thank you for the infoz. I'm sure it does get a little cooler than what he's used to, as it's anywhere between 76 and 68 degrees in here. I'll see about picking up another basking lamp for him to try that out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom