Basking light issue fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Upgraded to the 150 watt Exoterra intense basking light since my tank is a 20 gallon tall. Good thing i did too as i had only gotten my Beardie on Friday and noticed this today when i had a hunch and moved my digital thermometer to the basking side. At the time when i had been using the 100w exoterra bulb it was 91-93F which is fine for night time but not for daytime basking.

With the new 150w daytime basking bulb the temp is now up to 104.8 so hopefully beardie will feel like eating more now, or decide to start eating. Sadly most of the live bugs from this morning are already hiding under the shamwow that lines the bottom of the aquarium as i took the repticarpet out this morning to wash.

Got an extra fixture and a 150w night basking bulb which i put over the cool area as down at the bottom the temp will be 80-85F according to the specs. As my tank is only the 20gallon and not enough room for a heating unit i have this Night basking light on a switched outlet.

The daytime basking light and the UVB light are on timers from 10am to 12am as that schedule will work around my new full time schedule at my call center job starting in about two weeks as well as the remaining week of my part time schedule at my call center job this week once i end my time at my warehouse job this week.

Morning feedings are a fixed schedule, and I put some of the rehydrated veg into the tank for overnight feeding during the off evening feeding schedule.

Looks so happy now his head is up and turning in various directions. Good thing i caught the temperature issue before it'd gone on any longer.

Shidohari

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad the temperatures are fixed and he is reacting well to it. That is a good basking temperature. I'm unclear about the second light you mentioned at night. 80-85 is OK on the cool side during the day but it's too warm at night. Overnight temps should be between about 65-75 and only if the temps go below about 65 or so is a night heat source needed. It shouldn't produce any visible light and just be strong enough to bring the temps up into the 65-75 range overnight.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
took down the nighttime basking light. It's a black light but yeah i see your point. don't think i would be able to fit a ceramic heater into my tank if i needed it when winter comes to KY but then I keep the temps in my house about 71-72 in the winter...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you keep the temps up in the low 70s overnight that should be plenty cozy for your buddy.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think the lowest i've seen any of my fish aquariums get when i didn't have a heater in them at one point was 65-68 (this is with fish) when my Heating/ac winter temps were in effect.

I should hopefully be fine.

Let me know if you think of anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom