Drinking VS Drowning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killjoy01

Nazar was put in a bath for the first time today, admitidly the water was fairly cold so it might've just been a slight shock? She imminently puffed up (she's never blackbearded so far) and after a minute or two she dunked her head underwater and was opening and closing her mouth, I took her out right away and she puffed up again and tried jumping back in so I let her, this time she watched me for a bit before very slowly submerging her head underwater and opening and closing her mouth again? Is she drinking or trying to breath underwater? What's happening and is it okay to let her do this?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mine never dunk their heads underwater, [ they don't get baths very often but drink via spray bottle on the snout ] but when they DO get a bath they just drink with the tip of the nose submerged and/or lapping it up. Your dragon may aspirate water with how she's doing it so be careful....also if she dunks her head too much there's a possibility it can lead to an ear infection. If she has trouble it may be best to try the spray bottle or eyedropper to drip on the snout.

Killjoy01

Original Poster
AHBD":2gb8nuem said:
Mine never dunk their heads underwater, [ they don't get baths very often but drink via spray bottle on the snout ] but when they DO get a bath they just drink with the tip of the nose submerged and/or lapping it up. Your dragon may aspirate water with how she's doing it so be careful....also if she dunks her head too much there's a possibility it can lead to an ear infection. If she has trouble it may be best to try the spray bottle or eyedropper to drip on the snout.
I generally use a spray bottle, dripping on her nose and then her favorite rock so she can get more (and she usually does) but her poop has been chalky so I'm trying to find more ways to get her to drink more water. She was in the pet store with a dish so that's what she was used to but she ends up falling asleep in it so I took it out of her tank to avoid drowning

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
be very careful if you insist on bathing beardies , especially hatchlings , water should aways be luke warm to the touch , about 33 deg C and NEVER deep enough for the submerge their mouth - they can very easily and quickly drown or aspirate water into their lungs.

Never leave a beardie unattended in the bath, keep your eyes on it.

NEVER bath Hatchlings in the sink or bath tub (too hard to judge the water depth and temperature properly), best to use a 600ml clear plastic food tub and bath them on the coffee table or on the floor next to you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with kingofnobbys. For baths I use a small tupperware for babies and a turkey roasting pan for adults. I fill the water up no deeper than about their elbows. I run the water over the inside of my wrist to test it. When it feels warm but not hot on my wrist I fill the tub with that temperature. Baths don't last beyond about 10 minutes and I monitor the water temp with my finger regularly to ensure it stays warm. After bath they get a thorough towel drying and time under a basking light to warm up.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Very occasionally my beardies get a bath , usually only if they've not pooed for over a week, or there is an issue with shedding .

My adults go into our old baby's bath : this is our big girl Peppa a few months ago in the baby bath , she loves it ....
50k08i.png

we've never bathed Toothless, Rex was bathed a few times in her nearly 5 years, and Puff needed bathing when he injured his eye .

Our bluetongues love the bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom