Red in poop?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been acting fine, but yesterday he had a bit of red in his poop, and today he had some again. I just took him to the vet last month, but that was just for a checkup. i don't have the money to take him again currently. He's been eating just fine, usually around 30 ish crickets a day, with greens. idk what i can do at home to help him? please give advice.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
That's indicative of a GIT parasite infection and secondary bacterial infection of the bowel. I suggest you arrange for a vet to do some fecal floats and sensitivity tests to determine the most effect antiparacitic and antibtiotic meds for the strain of parasites present.

In the mean time , thoroughly clean and sterilize the viv and everything in every time he poos else he will reinfect himself continuously.

I don't have an explanation for the red stuff in the poop; however, I was just researching the same issue because I just found red stuff in my beardies poop as well. But I have a question for you. How do you afford to feed your beardie 30 crickets a day? Do you get your crickets from a pet store or is there somewhere cheaper? My beardie is young and growing fast and he just wants to eat eat eat all the time but I'm finding it hard to keep up with him financially. Especially because he refuses to eat any fruits or veggies. I've tried almost everything. So I usually feed my beardie about 13 crickets a day even though he seems to want more. But if you know of a cheaper place to get them that would be awesome!!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
A baby beardie up to 8 months of age needs at least 2 feeding sessions every single day, 10-15 minutes long, where he is allowed to eat as many live insects as he wants! So yes, he should be eat way more than 13 crickets a day, he's not going to properly grow! Usually if using small crickets or dubias they are going to eat at least between 40-60 a day, so you really need to start feeding your baby a lot more. My guys get 3 unlimited feeding sessions every day with live insects (NO FREEZE-DRIED OR DEAD!) between hatching and 8 months, then I cut them back to 2 a day. They eat pretty much the same amount, it's just spaced out more, but using BSFL or dubia roaches they eat between 40-60 a day.

You can order online from www.dubiaroaches.com (they have all insects) or just google search "live crickets for sale" and compare prices. You can set up repeat shipping to occur every so many weeks. Babies typically eat little to no greens or veggies until about a year old, and you cannot feed them freeze-dried or dead insects because they cause impactions and have little to no nutritional value, and they won't typically eat pellets, so you absolutely must start buying bulk live insects! 13 a day is going to stunt him and cause deficiency diseases like MBD and Vitamin B1 deficiency. Typically for one baby beardie up to a year or so old, you're going to pay between $35-$50 a month for live insects if you order online. Pet shops are usually really expensive unless you are lucky enough to have a privately owned one that is better priced. But seriously, please start feeding him much more, he's going to have problems if you don't, plus he's starving, that's why he always wants to keep eating, you have to feed him until he's full twice a day!

To the OP, it sounds like parasites and a bacterial infection, you need to take a fresh poop sample to your vet and he'll need medications to get rid of them, without a vet he's going to get worse and worse, and start to lose weight because the parasites feed on his nutrition inside of him. So please make a vet appointment and get him on the necessary meds ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom