2018 Bearded Dragon Calendar images needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Yes, it's that time again!!!

2018 Bearded Dragon Calendar image submissions!

The deadline for the 2018 Calendar submissions is 11:59 PM PDT on Sunday, October 8, 2017. (That's just over 5 weeks from this post).

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE MESSAGE CAREFULLY. I know that this is pretty long, but in order to make this process go more smoothly, please follow the info about submission image guidelines. Do not submit more than two images per beardie!

Also, please be sure to also read the tips at the end!!! In past years, I have noticed that many people have really great ideas, but the picture doesn't get taken properly. Either the resolution is too low, or the camera focused on the background, leaving a blurry beardie. The tips below will also help you improve your pictures (I am an advanced amateur photographer, so I feel comfortable giving some basic tips).

Again, the deadline for the 2018 Calendar submissions is 11:59 PM PDT on Sunday, October 8, 2017

Yes, we're doing another Calendar! And yes, I will do as I have the last 13 years, and do my best to include one image of every beardie sent to me. I will leave it to my own discretion as to which images are used, which will get a "larger" position, and which will get smaller images.

Want to see your beardie inside the 2018 Bearded Dragon calendar? Well, get those images submitted!!!
Please submit images EARLY if you have them ready

What you need to do
1. Find or take the best pictures of your beardie(s) you can. When deciding which ones are the best, please look for the following qualities:
- Sharpness: Make sure the bearded dragon is in focus and sharp
- Composure: Look for an image or shot that has a nice overall aesthetic look, a nice background, good lighting quality, not too "messy", etc.
- Size/Resolution: Set your cameras for the absolute highest resolution and quality that they will take. Only the higher quality images (at least 5 megapixels) will be considered for full page use. Lower resolution images will still be used if possible, but only in smaller form (see samples below for what the smaller ones are like on a page).

When submitting your pictures, please upload a copy of the ORIGINAL (JPG only please). If you shoot in RAW, please convert to JPG. If you don't know what RAW is, don't worry about... your camera does JPG. :) I want the maximum resolution possible. If you export from your photo program, please make sure it isn't resizing it "for email" or some other small size. Additionally, images should NOT have been digitally modified (including resizing to make "larger"). If an image needs improvement, please let me worry about doing that. No designs, text, etc. are to be added to the images prior to sending them to me.

2. Upload the picture(s) using this link. This year (like last) we're using a web form to simplify submitting pictures. You must be logged in on the forums before accessing the upload form. That way, it will know your username. Be sure to enter the name of each beardie in each picture. If there are multiple beardies in one pic, please list them as shown left to right.

LIMIT TWO PICTURES PER BEARDED DRAGON. This means, if you have 2 beardies please send no more than 4 pictures for consideration.

COPYRIGHT
Please note that all images that are submitted must be free of any copyright restrictions or at MINIMUM, by submitting an image, you authorize it to be used royalty-free for the Bearded Dragon Calendar to be reproduced, distributed, and sold on the Beardie Stuff Store (hosted by CafePress). Profits from Beardie Stuff products contribute to keeping this site up and running for all. You assume any and all responsibility for any legal repercussions related to the material that you submit, that you did not own, or did not have the right to submit.

Notes / Tips
- In order to even be considered for a full page layout, the image must be at least 5 Megapixels. Set your camera on the maximum quality and size that it can take.

- If you have them, include images that are at least 8 Megapixels ... this is the minimum resolution to be considered for the main cover.

- Shoot in landscape format (wider image, not taller). Portrait (vertically framed) images cannot qualify for a full page spread, as the calendar is landscape format. For images that have been submitted in portrait format, and that I think could have potential for full page, I will contact you to ask if you could retake a similar shot. Otherwise, I will work with what was submitted for one of the many other spots in the calendar.

Photography Tips

- Allow some extra room around the frame of the picture. While I do like images that are up close, don't get TOO close. I will need to be able to crop the image to fit into the calendar (whether a smaller square or a full page image). If there is no room around the image, I won't be able to crop it.

- It can be nice to have beardies with beautiful background scenery, BUT if you choose to do this, be careful not to leave them looking tiny in the image. Try to find a good balance of scenery and beardie.

- Make sure your subject is sharp! The problem many people have when taking pictures of smaller things, is that they get too close! While cameras are getting better at handling this, they cannot focus closer than a certain distance. So, stay at least 18 inches back.

- Use the "pre-focus" option!! Pretty much EVERY digital camera has this these days. Just before taking the picture, press the shutter-button (the one to take the picture) about half way down. Usually you'll hear a beep or see on your screen where the camera is choosing to focus. If the camera's autofocus didn't pick a focus point close to your beardie's eye, let go, and press it half way again until it does. Then press it all the way to snap that picture.

- If your camera has it, put it into Macro mode. That's usually an icon image of a flower, of food, or something you would have to be close to. If you don't have one, try portrait mode (a icon image of a person usually). This tells the camera that the priority is to focus on things that are closer.

- I could write a whole chapter on ways to improve focus. The best thing I can suggest... practice!! Seriously! Put your beardie (or even a model, like a stuffed animal) someplace, and take some practice pictures. Don't expect to use these (although, if you get a good one, keep it). But then load them on your computer and look closely at the eyes of your beardie. You want to see them sharp and in-focus. The rest can be slightly blurry... but if the eye is sharp, the picture will look good.

Sharpness is always the biggest problem which is why I am emphasizing it so much. So, I'll stop my tips here... the rest is practice and artistic preferences. You can see what I tend to like by looking at previous year previews (listed below).

Again, if you have questions, please feel free to reply here. I will be watching the thread for replies.

Below are some screen shots a previous Calendars just to give you an idea of what I did with the pictures that were submitted:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-00.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-01.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-02.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-03.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-04.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-05.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-06.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-07.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-08.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-09.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-10.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-11.jpg
https://www.beardeddragon.org/images/site_images/2007-Calendar-12.jpg

After submission, this is how things will go and how you get your calendar!
- I go to work
I will process through all the images and create preview images, and the draft copies of the calendars.

- I will post previews (Estimated to be about 3rd week of October)
This is so people can check for correctness. I will make a global post, like this one to bring attention to it, and will reply here for anyone "watching" or subscribed to this topic (see bottom left of the page if you want to subscribe and see replies). I will probably leave 1 week for people to see the post for "corrections" being requested. Of course, if a last minute correction is needed, I will try to do so before you order yours. Other people may have the wrong name for your beardie, but at least YOU will have one with the right names. :) Following the instructions above closely will help.

- I will finalize the calendars on the Beardie Stuff Store (Estimated to be early November)
They will be available for purchase on the Beardie Stuff Store. Pricing works out to be about $20. I need to verify if CafePress has changed their base prices this year or not, but expect pricing to be about that. I will also make a global post to let everyone know, and will post about it on the main home page of the site!

I will also send updates for each of these steps to those added to the "Beardie Stuff Store notifications" group. You can add yourself by going to the User Control Panel and added yourself to it. Or use the following link as a short cut.

ucp.php?i=167

Cheers! I look forward to seeing all the beardies!!!

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I'm running a little behind, but I think a month+ should be enough time for submissions. I can't wait to see the pictures of all your beautiful bearded dragons!!

-Alex

Is there any way I could email you my images? They were taken with a DSLR and I cant seem to make the images small enough to fit on the submission page. Thank You -Maddie

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I submitted a pic of RJ, he's almost 10 months now. This pic was his first camping trip about 2 1/2 months ago. I hope it fits the criteria. I read the requirements, however i don't know much about camera stuff. But his eye is focused :) and it's not super close. I had a really good one of my sweet girl Rex (who passed away) on a pumpkin, but i can't find it. All this foolish cloud stuff! I REALLY hope i can find it. It was be so special to have a sort of memorial calender of her... if her pic got accepted, and like I said, if i can find it. Well, please let me know your thoughts on RJs pic???

Lucyzmom

Sorry I sent 3 or 4 pics! I couldn't decide which ones might be usable. My backgrounds are not to good because I still had the paper towels taped around her tank from when I got her as a baby. She is 6 mos old now. I can't wait to see the finished product!

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
MaddieHolt12":ielm8om2 said:
Is there any way I could email you my images? They were taken with a DSLR and I cant seem to make the images small enough to fit on the submission page. Thank You -Maddie

Are you shooting them in RAW or JPEG? Even with JPEG at full DSLR resolution, it shouldn't be bigger than 12 MB. How large are the files?

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Iloverex":2ubunao1 said:
I've not heard back regarding RJs entry. Was everything ok with the photo?
The picture is fine. Generally, though, I prefer pictures that are horizontal and not vertical. A vertical picture has little to no chance of being a full page option. It will still be usable, but in smaller positions.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Hey "beardie," I'm sure you've seen the photos, but i just wanted to comment that I've uploaded 3 more pictures. I know there's a limit for actual entries, i just wanted you to have a few more to choose from as far as what you think is best. I also made them horizontal, so i hope that is better. Thanks :)

I've read this forum ever since I fell in love with my boyfriends lizard, just submitted two photos I've taken of our little lemon Larry!

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Hey "beardie," I'm really sorry but i just HAD to upload another pic of RJ. I only added the second two because you said vertical ones are harder to work with, but i added this last one because it was just perfect. I kind of assume/ trust you will use your discretion as to what's best. I was just snapping pics while he was eating and got a perfect tounge pic :) thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom