Gelatin in beardie food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreG

I´m looking into making my own beardie-snacks
Not planned for daily feeding, but for those occations where I´m not able to give it live insects.

My plan is to use powdered crickets (cricket-flour) dandelion greens +++
I was thinking about adding some water and gelatin, molde it to a thin plate and cut it into strings resembling small worms.

I see (Norwegian brand gelatin) that it contains over 85% animal based protein, and otherwise has nutrition components that looks fairly good for beardies.

So: is this a good idea :?:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If it's processed and contains gelatin or other fillers , don't give it.

"Bites", "Snacks" are not by any measure worth giving even as snacks, keep to live insects and fresh greens and veg. In a tight spot BugPie and VegeBurger are OK.

AreG

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3v9g4brb said:
If it's processed and contains gelatin or other fillers , don't give it.

Why not?

I guess you refer to Rephasy Veggie burger and grub pie ?

Both use Locust Bean Gum as thickening agent. If I use that myself, or Agar Agar (plant based like Locust) Will it be ok then?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like that would be O.K. if you know how to do it. See how it works out + post back here if + when you do. :)

AreG

Original Poster
I was not planning on using my pet for research :D
I was more hoping that anyone knew about scientific studies or similar that could support or disregard this as a good idéa

In my head it sounds reasonable.. but that does absolutely not mean it IS

AreG

Original Poster
I´m allways in doubt.. :oops:
But if everybody took to that approach, we would not have any bearded dragons in our homes at all.. or any other pets for that sake ?

Therefore my approach has allways been: If there´s science behind it, use it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom