Broly the new super saiyan beardie

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Hey there BlueDragon! I'm back(this is what the third time?). I'm not sure if you remember me and Mushu, it has been quite some time since I've been on here. Life got crazy for a bit there. How have you been? I'm about to go back and read what I've missed, but that's like... two years worth of information and might take me a bit. I'll give an update at some point but my thread is locked right now :(

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Of course Jessie it's been a while and two years. You know you can ask one of the mods to unlock it. Theyll do it. My boy is 20" long 528g and gaining and now 2 1/2 yrs old. Will be 3 yrs in January.

I hear Broly making noise like RI (high humidity two weeks ago) so Im off to the vet school. He's breathing fine just I thought I heard a squeak or cough. Maybe dust in the throat..makes me cough. Squeaking not sure where that comes from. Im keeping him at 80 for a few nights see where that goes. No discharge so we'll see what night temps of 80 gets him.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Funny how life does get crazy sometimes, Jessie. Welcome back (although I've only been around here for a little less than a year myself, not counting the 3 or so years that I "lurked" after we got our beardie).

It sounds like maybe Broly's got the beardie equivalent of the crud that I had last week. I'm still getting over it slowly. I hope it won't turn out to be anything serious in Broly's case. At least it must be nice to have a vet in the family, just in case.

I don't think I've ever seen any of the episodes with the first two Doctors -- Pertwee was playing him when I first discovered the show, and then I think life must have gotten in the way sometime after Tom Baker's next two successors. I haven't seen the movie either. Netflix is off limits to me anyway because I understand that there's a monthly subscriber fee. We pay too much for telecommunications access as it is (phone, internet, & cable TV), so I refuse to pay anything more for content, no matter how much I like the show -- I have to take pot luck with whatever doesn't cost any extra. :roll:

I LOVED Brent Spiner as the android "Data" in Star Trek :love10:. He's not young anymore either -- it's hard to believe that was 30 years ago. I still enjoy watching those old Star Trek episodes, even though I have a lot of them almost memorized. :mrgreen:

It sounds like Peter Capaldi did a beautiful job helping Jack calm down. My guess would be that Jack wasn't the first crying child that he's had to deal with, so he's probably got some experience with helping his adoring little fans feel better about his next "regeneration". Still, he has apparently found an above-and-beyond nice way to handle it. Jack sounds like a sweet little kid, and he probably made Peter feel really loved and appreciated too.

Good luck trying to "housebreak" Broly -- Puff was fairly well trained to do it in his bath when we got him, but I don't ever expect him to be perfect. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go, and if we're late with his bath, I don't expect him to hold it, nor would I want him to even try, especially if it might make it more likely for him to get constipated, and since he tends to have that problem sometimes anyway. In Broly's case you may have a real challenge, especially with his kidney thing. Maybe he could learn to at least put it in some out-of-the-way corner of his tank, and then stay out of it until his human slaves get a chance to clean it up? :?

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yup, a very nice way to handle it. Im sure he's met crying kids in London. Jack's been watching Dr Who since he was 5. I got sone 2005 episodes (Eccleston) and Tennant. he watched those to find he likes them too not just Capaldi. I think he's undecided on Matt though. He's not sure. He doesn't hate him though. He'd meet all three of them if possible. He's going to meet Sylvester and Davison anyway.

I'll need all the luck I can get. So far, he's been out twice and he won't go. Yesterday he had to go and I grabbed him and put him on tile. Yeah, he ended up holding it the rest of the day. Today, I took him out 15 minutes put him back made him food to come back to a mess...i had to clean that up. Next time he needs to go he's coming out. Sometimes theres a dance sometimes he just goes wherever and whenever. He does give me stink eye for taking him out to use the bathroom. He doesn't like that. I would love a designated area! He won't use an area if he's standing on carpet, bed or person he'll go on it no shame at all. These problems is why he's being potty trained so he doesn't just go wherever he happens to be. He's a turkey what can I say.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Maybe Jack will eventually learn to do the same thing as some of the rest of us long-time Dr Who fans -- we get a sense of his "soul" (or hers, with the latest one), and we can still "see" it no matter which "incarnation" we're looking at. Sometimes when I think of some of the recent episodes, I even forget which actor it was, and I can't even remember whether it was Peter Capaldi, David Tennant, or whoever who said a particular thing. Of course, it doesn't help that the online TV guide gets it wrong sometimes. :roll:

I've often wondered how much time they had to spend in make-up with David Tennant to get his hair to stick up in all directions ju-ust right... :lol:

Well, don't feel too bad about Broly -- yesterday Puffie pooped on his basking platform, and I'm not sure how long it was there before I noticed it, because he had his foot right on top of it. And his little dance is not a reliable warning either. The arch at the base of the tail is a pretty good indication, but by that time it's usually too late to try to put him anywhere else but wherever he's decided for himself that his bathroom is going to be. I usually don't get the stink eye but I do have to expect to get pooped on if I try to move him to somewhere more acceptable.

One time I had him in the bed with me and he crawled onto my arm and plopped a big sloppy one on my upturned wrist. Then I had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get myself out of bed without turning my arm over and dropping the mess in the bed. Oh well -- it was about time to change the sheets anyway...

As you say, no shame at all. :p

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Fell asleep last night. I did take care of everyone though.
Jack's spending the night here and goes home tomorrow night. He calls the lizards his cousins. He has 9 cousins then LOL. Jack already has school hes in 2nd grade. Jae starts 3rd grade. I remember having a 5 yr old binging old Dr Who with me. Jack does hang out with the geckos a bit and our laid back male hamster and watches tv with him. I can't get our female to do that..maybe females are high strung and males are laid back. Hopefully Jack doesn't cry when she regenerates.

Broly's well, Kane potty trained. Leopard geckos doing fine. I have no more baby geckos to sell to good caring homes.
RN is doing well shes finally letting us pet her at least. She doesn't make that noise anymore...whatever it was.

Still potty training our 2 yr old dragon. He's making it difficult because he holds till in the tank. Idk why he wants something gross in his tank. I wouldnt want something that smells in my tank.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Asperger's depression hit today. The day was good...I wasnt feeling to eat. I drank hot chocolate and mostly laid in bed. I watched football. My team didnt win, my brother's and dad's team won. I woke up depressed it wasnt football I can handle losses.

We're having cruddy weather for the next four days. Rainy and humid...I hate humidity...damn...no matter what I do the stupid humidity in his tank goes too high. Heater won't help its 85 in his tank right now. Idk Vash never had this issue, humidity was high but he never got RI.

Im potty training Broly to go somewhere else instead of tank. He won't go in baths he really hates them. He'll tolerate if hes dirty or hot. He hasn't gone in 3 days which isnt a problem. We're just stuck sitting on the floor for 15 minutes with nothing happening. It's a boring 15 minutes...can't do anything just in case he runs off and tries to eat something inappropriate. Just sitting there doing absolutely nothing and hes not doing anything either..
Take him back in the tank and offer roaches then later gave butternut. Very interested in eating so no signs of brumation yet. I say yet because he may go or not go into sleep. Last year he only slept two months...still winter but he woke up.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You and me both again with the depression thing. My husband had the day off on Monday, and we had lots of plans which turned out to be way too ambitious -- I wasn't up to going anywhere, and for no apparent reason. So we had a quiet day at home (rainy day anyway, so it wasn't like we were missing anything outdoors), but at least the reptiles got taken care of, thanks to "Daddy." I've been trying to catch up since then.

So if Jack is your nephew and the lizards are your "babies", then they would be Jack's "cousins", yes. Makes perfect sense to me. :D

I guess I'm getting too old to binge Dr Who for too long -- even though I enjoy it for as long as I can, after a couple of episodes I end up exhausted and shell-shocked. Too much energy. :blob5: :blob8:

Puff dribbled urate on his basking platform right after we had cleaned up his tank and changed out all the towels and stuff, so I just spot cleaned it with a damp paper towel -- ran out of what little energy I had and gotta catch up on the laundry before we can change it all out again -- ran out of clean towels too. I guess you just can't expect perfection, even if you think you have your beardie potty trained... :roll:

It sounds like RN is finally starting to learn that not all humans are evil, and that she can trust the ones she's with now. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Still cruddy weather. Thunderstorm to be exact.
Tomorrow just rain. Im gonna make this quick.

So Broly pottied on a paper towel unfortunately he got it all the underside of his tail. So I picked up the stool and cleaned him up. Gave him crix and later is collards. He picked up all 26g adding two more making him 535g now. Well, maybe not anymore as he used the bathroom.

Rusty Nail is great we're able to hold her. Im not sure if you can hold a Jacksons Chameleon...she's sweet though. Worked with her enough that she stopped hissing.

I hate crane flies aka skeeter eaters. They dont eat mosquitos they drink nectar from flowers at night. It so happen one was in my room and I bolted! The way they fly surprised me. We never did find it...unfortunately. I was 12 when this happened. So I was enjoying a summer evening with a friend when this giant crane fly got caught in my hair. It tryin to fly made more hair caught around its legs and its wing hitting my ear. My friend got it out but I was so hysterical after it took me a while to calm down. Since then Im afraid of how it flies, dont like it near me or on me. Basically like a child..I slept with covers over my head to protect my hair if it was hiding in our room somewhere. Worst. Night. Ever. I had to sleep in the same room as this big bug. I hope it flew out and not hiding to come out at night and freak me the F out!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Rainy here too -- all day yesterday and looks like more of the same today. No thunderstorms, at least. Could be alot worse -- I don't envy those folks on the other side of the country who are getting slammed with one hurricane after the other.

Puff and Broly are about the same size -- give or take a large sloppy poop. :wink:

Sounds like you've done a great job taming the chameleon. Apparently, all she needed was a little kindness and good care.

Crane flies are pretty common around here in the summer. The adults don't eat mosquitoes or bite humans, but it can be kind of creepy the way they hover around -- almost like spiders. I tolerate them because I understand that their larvae do eat mosquito larvae, and anything that can help keep the mosquito population down in Alaska is a good thing, since we're famous for mosquitoes. Somehow they survive our winter -- antifreeze in their eggs, I'm told, and then they hatch out like crazy in all the puddles of water when the snow melts in the spring, and if I go for a walk in the woods, I often come out covered with mosquito bites and looking like I have the chicken pox or some other horrible disease. So I'd just as soon have a few more crane flies around as opposed to more mosquitoes, but I don't blame you for getting freaked out by them after having such a bad experience with one of them when you probably didn't know that the thing getting tangled up in your hair wouldn't hurt you.

I was about that age when I got bit on the eyelid by a mosquito. My eye was swollen shut for several days, and my mother and I were both afraid that there was something horribly wrong with my eye until we realized that it was just a mosquito bite. So if I had my choice of putting up with either crane flies or mosquitoes, I'd probably go with the crane flies. :mrgreen: I do understand that they're agricultural pests though, and can damage plants, so if you have them around your area, your biggest concern might be for your carnivorous plants -- not sure who would eat who? :?

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

My carnivourous plants would eat mosquitos. Idk I don't think they can eat crane flies they're too big. Maybe my American Pitcher plant can since it's huge. It's outside going into dormancy. It looks dead right now. Cobra lily is looking the same. Cobra has been my bug eater in summer. Venus caught a few. My venus are awake till November when they start getting colder and falling asleep. During frost/freeze warnings/watches I put a tarp over my American Pitchers.

Broly still goes in his tank. It smells why on earth...? Nevermind! Im doing the best I can but I think Im coming down with a cold. Tom will have to take care of guinea pigs and hamsters if it's a cold not just a sore throat. Lizards don't care they can't catch it. I already fed all the lizards and their food. Well the day lizards. Leopards will be fed at night.

I encountered a wasp today somehow not too afraid of these guys. I usually duck if they're coming my way. I don't want to upset them and sting me. I used to play with crane flies! I would hold them let them drink water out of my hand. One getting caught in my hair was an exp and a surprising one. Idk why Im afraid of them now specially the fact I would play with them as a kid. Maybe it's just me protecting my hair...
Tom is willing to catch one and let me hold it like I used to.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Playing with crane flies like you used to before you had the bad experience might be a good way to overcome your fear of them, especially if you have lots of them around your area to deal with. I think the fancy psychological term for it is "systematic desensitization". Maybe you could wear a hat so you wouldn't have to worry about them getting in your hair.

On the other hand, I don't see anything wrong with having a "healthy respect" for wasps. Those things can hurt really bad if they sting you. I had that happen to me once and I don't want to do it again if I can possibly avoid it.

We have dragonflies around here too. I sometimes even see them in our yard in the summer. They can be scary if you don't know what they are because they can get even bigger than crane flies, but I think they're pretty cool and fun to watch, and I understand they're relatively harmless to humans as long as you don't mess with them.

I didn't realize hamsters and guinea pigs could catch human colds. When I had ferrets, it was believed that they could also catch human colds, but as far as I could tell, my ferrets never caught a cold from me. No worries now with the reptiles, and I'm pretty much over that nasty one I had a few weeks ago. Hopefully you're feeling better too.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I finally played with one and wore a Pokemon hat (had this for years since 6th grade). It was pretty cool then flew away. I don't plan on keeping one. I was stung by yellow jackets..that really hurts! I was 8 when it happened. I was playing at a park and I tripped and didn't notice a yellow jacket on the ground under my hand. It lived and stung me. Pretty much screamed and cried till my mom put lavender on it to make it stop hurting. I don't hate yellow jackets it was my fault I wasn't watching.

I didn't realize dragonflies hurt if you mess with them. I used to play with them too. No bites.

Wasps are kinda we had an agreement...stay away or don't sting me. Im just here for the plants.

Broly is such a sweetie. He still hates snuggles. Whatever I have guinea pigs to cuddle. They like it. Kane is a snuggler but hes more attached to Tom. Tom is his caretaker.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
My "close encounter of the worst kind" with what was probably a yellow jacket happened about 15 years ago when I was out in the yard walking through tall grass (the lawn needed some serious mowing at the time). I came in the back door crying out in pain and my husband thought I had cut myself. I pulled out what looked like a stinger but it still hurt, so I tried soaking a towel with some cold tap water (the water in Anchorage comes out of the tap ice cold even in the summer) and that pretty much stopped the pain. I didn't know lavender would work.

I googled dragonflies the other day and found all kinds of conflicting stuff about whether or not they could do humans any harm. Some websites said they don't bite at all and others said they prey on other insects and are capable of biting if you seriously abuse them -- depending on the species. The general consensus seemed to be that they are harmless to humans under normal circumstances. I have never really tried to handle them much, and if one ever landed on me I'd probably just let it sit there so that I could admire its beautiful iridescent wings and other-worldly appearance. :)

I do the same with wasps and bees as you say -- I try not to bother them. I used to watch bees buzz around the flowers in my grandmother's garden and she would say, "Don't bother them and they won't bother you." I never got stung until years later when I bumped into one by accident. It wasn't as bad as the wasp.

My poor husband does most of the work when it comes to critter care, and I get most of the snuggles. But I think Puff has learned that he can trust either one of his human slaves equally to take care of him, or at least to be gentle with him, although my husband seems to think he likes to cuddle with me better because I'm softer. That's just because fat is softer than muscle. :wink:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I have a wasp in my cobra lily. I refuse to spray water. I do gotta keep them cool but a wasp wouldnt appreciate it. Ugh...why of all bugs did it have to be that one?! Now I can't spray Im not getting stung! F that!

I finally did however get Broly to use the bathroom outside of his tank. Took us a while but he was butt wiggling trying to hold it to get in the tank. I refused to return him to the tank so he plopped it on the floor. Hardwood thank goodness. Picked it up and disinfected. Normal stool for once. I put a paper towel under his butt to rub on instead of the floor itself possibly sticking dirt on his anus so I avoided that. Unknown dirt y'know? We praised and gave small hornworms (2) for finally doing business other than the tank.

Kane is asleep. He woke up, passed stool, lost 9g, drank water and went to sleep after drying fully off. Hes brumating but doesnt mind snuggling dad. Broly just wants food and someone to give him what he needs and go away. So I do what I need to and go away.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom