Two Dark Dry Spots On Head? Yellow Fungus, Burns or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanleech

Hi everyone,

I have had my bearded dragon for over a year now and we recently noticed he had developed these two black spots on the top of his head, they haven't grown at all since we first noticed them over a month ago and he doesn't seem to have had any change in behavior! Does anybody know what this is, could it be yellow fungus, burns or something else?

2me4z86.jpg

egybea.jpg

Thanks

Jordan

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They don't look like yellow fungus to me, but I don't like how dark and scabby they look. It's good that the areas don't appear to be spreading. You may want to have a vet do a skin test to see what's going on but otherwise I'd keep a close eye on them to know right away if they start to grow or spread to other areas which could indicate an infection of some sort.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jordan, can you post pics of his enclosure ? And do you have a wire cage that he goes in at all or places to roam that he might have stuck his head in ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
^ that's a thought. The marks do look pretty symmetrical so it could be from bars or a loop of some sort perhaps...

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Could be a cave, log or, some other decoration with a hole in it that he is nosing into as well.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Did you ever find out what the spots are? My dragon developed 1 spot in the exact same location. They do seem to get more tonicsble when he is under the sun or basking light

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it does look pretty uniform on both sides. He could be maybe rubbing his head on
something in his tank?
The spots are pretty dark black, which does bother me some. Are you using loose substrate
that is shown in the picture?
There is also a black fungus too that causes some issues, but it is not nearly as bad as the
yellow fungus. As suggested, the vet could do a skin culture to test for fungus, or bacteria.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom