Mushy feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britt1347

help!! My bearded dragons feet are like growing together, turning black/brown, and mushy. I have no idea what is going on and I am scared for him. He also seems to not want to move his back legs to some extent.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like some kind of infection. Do you have any experienced reptile vets in the area? If this is the case it will likely need some specialized attention. Can you post some photos of him and his feet? You can upload them here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ then post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH dear, that does not sound good at all. Please do try to upload some pictures for us.
Do you have a vet nearby or in the area you could take him in to see to check for infection?
Can you review your tank setup for us also, such as your supplementation, temperatures,
UVB lighting, etc so we can try to trouble shoot whatever could be going on. Is he on a loose
or solid substrate? You mentioned he couldn't move his back legs, he either has an impaction,
injury or metabolic bone disease possibly.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Britt1347

Original Poster
There has been no attack that I know of. There is another beardie in tank. This one however is fine. The sick one has lost weight and won't eat and all of this has happened rather quickly I'd say a few days

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics as requested Britt ? If there's another dragon in the tank he is being bitten, just not when you're around.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You have no option but to immediately separate the pair , if one has already been attached at least twice , probably very frequently eventually a limb will be bitten off or worse .

Move the uninjured dragon as it's the perpetrator and the other doesn't need more stress by being moved into a new viv or a temporary rearing tub.
This how I set up rearing tubs : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

It's not eating because it's terrified of the other dragon and scared to do so or do anything. Do not let this situation persist.

The injured dragon needs IMMEDIATE vet attention. Not to do so is cruel.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah that happens a lot...

I hope the OP posts photos soon because this sounds bad and I cannot really picture what they are saying...Poor little guy ?

Crowley

Beardie name(s)
Crowley
Oh my god... That foot looks completely smashed. You need to go to a vet and SEPARATE IMMEDIATELY. The injured one is scrawny and is clearly getting abused by the other dragon here! Beardies are solitary creatures!

Britt1347

Original Poster
Wish I would have known they were not okay to be together. Pet store said they should be okay because they were small still and we bought them together.

Crowley

Beardie name(s)
Crowley
Its a common thing really :( Probably to sell more dragons. Ideally beardies would be separated as soon as they are hatched as they gain nothing but can lose everything with cohabitating.

How is your little guy doing? I don't know enough about wounds to help, so hopefully someone more helpful logs on soon. But I've heard raw, unpasteurized honey is good for wounds? I would google "beardeddragon(.)org open wound" to see what has previously been recommended. But for now they MUST be separated. If you cant get a second enclosure YET, put a piece of cardboard down halfway in the terrarium until you can. If you can't EVER get a second enclosure, you need to unfortunately rehome one of the dragons.

You need to get a vet check up though, ASAP.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh boy, his feet are really mangled. Poor little guy. Is he using his feet ? Are his front feet the same ?
Can you post close ups of each foot ? Sorry for all the rapid fire questions, just trying to help you out. That is 100% for sure many, many bites. The other dragon views his feet as food....no doubt at all. You must put the healthy dragon in another tank, if you don't have one you can get a large plastic storage tote from Dollar Store/Walmart, Home Depot and rig some lights over it. This is a picture of a simple set up :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

If you like, see if the store will reimburse you for this poor baby [ show them the pics + ask for a manager ] and if you can't set up another home for the other dragon then see if the store will refund you or give it to someone else. Either that or give this one to a rescue. If you're going to keep him you'll need to have him seen by an experienced reptile vet.

Raw unpasteurized honey can be used to fight infection + kill bacteria but if you use it you have to be sure there are no loose crickets in the tank, they would then be attracted to his feet .

Best wishes for your baby.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
kingofnobbys":cd07oj2b said:
You have no option but to immediately separate the pair , if one has already been attached at least twice , probably very frequently eventually a limb will be bitten off or worse .

Move the uninjured dragon as it's the perpetrator and the other doesn't need more stress by being moved into a new viv or a temporary rearing tub.
This how I set up rearing tubs : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

It's not eating because it's terrified of the other dragon and scared to do so or do anything. Do not let this situation persist.

The injured dragon needs IMMEDIATE vet attention. Not to do so is cruel.

REPEATED to make sure you are paying attention and take notice.....

I'm a tough as nails old retired steel engineer and the sight of his mangled feet brought me to tears :( .... poor little guy .... his feet are about as bad as I've had the misfortune to see .
He's very thin too, so he's not been eating properly for ages either .... malnourished .

One beardie taking the lions share of the food and best basking spots and best sleeping spot while the tank mate (often a sibling) gets next to nothing and fails to thrive is a very common issue , I made the mistake with Rex & Puff in their first few months, then the bullying became physical (biting started) and I separated them immediately. Two beardies should never be housed together except for very brief romantic encounters to do the deed.

I repeat , let him keep the viv.

MOVE THE OTHER ONE into another viv or a temporary tub modified as I've shown you.

NO PARTICULATE SUBSTRATES - lay down paper toweling , replace it daily , this will help keep the feet injuries clean.

IMMEDIATE VISIT TO A VET to repair damage / clean injuries / get started on antibiotics , he can do with pain relief too !

When he comes home from the vet he's going to need a lot of help from you with handfeeding and daily betadiene soaks for the injured legs (arms) , applying medihoney to injuries wont harm him either, but neither these are sufficient treatments or substitutes for the treatment he needs by a reptile vet / surgeon.
This will take a long to mend and he's likely to be permanently disabled , but there is no reason why he can't grow and become a big happy and healthy dragon if you do the right things by him from now on.
This includes never trusting the advise given by the pet store !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom