Limping on right front leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

serenajo

My girl is 4 years old and never been sick. This morning she woke up limping on her right front leg...it doesn't look swollen and she doesn't hank it away from me when touched. There isn't anything real tall to fall off of...but still possible. She is a bit chunky so I took her off superworms and put her on dubias..after a few weeks she limping..makes me worry about gout? She looks pretty chunky but I think she has infertile eggs...as she usually lays twice a year, but still has a weight problem, even with free roam exercise. I wanted to wait a couple days b4 I take her n2 the vet? Thought I would get ur input? Her temps are 100 basking...she doesn't like hotter...new in reptisun 10.0 ubv light...she has a huge tank, so I have 2 uvb lights. She doesn't like greens but sometimes..she poops every other day in bath...had fecal...clean..any suggestions??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your tank setup & your girl?
How close are the Reptisun 10 tubes from her, are they mounted underneath of the screen top?
I hope it isn't gout. Does she have any odd swellings on her hands, feet or digits?
If she is limping & it is sudden, it is possible she may have hurt herself in some way.
How often do you give calcium for her?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

serenajo

Original Poster
The limping came on sudden...she gets calcium dusted on her bugs every other day...vitamins once a week. Her uvb is recent and inside of tank..6-8 in above her...no weird swelling...but she a bit over weight. I'm not sure how to post a pic...ill see if I can figure it out. She still limps but otherwise she's fine...she does have shed on that leg. But shed never bothered her be.

serenajo

Original Poster
87809-1021806319.jpg
u can't really see the uvb lights but there r 2 lights that stretch 3/4 down her tank...under the screen...I can't figure out how to add another pic...lol

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
serenajo":26m6ef9d said:
87809-1021806319.jpg
u can't really see the uvb lights but there r 2 lights that stretch 3/4 down her tank...under the screen...I can't figure out how to add another pic...lol

Good setup. Nice sized viv too.

The uv tubes : more details please , might be she's developed MBD.
What brand ?
T8 or T5HO ?
What %UVB rating ?
reflectors behind them ?
how far from them to her when basking ? >> noted 6-8 inch
how long are the lights on each day ?

chances are she's somehow got a nail caught and might have injured herself trying to unsnag it.

I recommend wait a day , if she's still limping , I'd then take her to the vet for an assessment , bit of luck it's only a sprain/strain or maybe gout , and will come good relatively easily.

Extra photos ; I use either TinyPic (I select 17in) , I then copy the [img ..../img] code into my post or Postimage.org (I select 1900dpi) , I then take the image file code and drop into the post inside img brackets.

bjacksy

My bearded dragon Delta, is doing the same. One night she slept with her arm back, and the next morning she was limping. She still is. She won’t eat either, but I think it is because she is shedding. I read on another issue on this forum that it can be caused because of impaction and I am hoping that’s not it. But I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions for me? Your help would be amazing, thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
bjacksy":6kmjh3jf said:
My bearded dragon Delta, is doing the same. One night she slept with her arm back, and the next morning she was limping. She still is. She won’t eat either, but I think it is because she is shedding. I read on another issue on this forum that it can be caused because of impaction and I am hoping that’s not it. But I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions for me? Your help would be amazing, thanks!

Impaction can cause lameness in the back legs ( pressure on the lower spine ).

Any chance he's fallen off something and landed awkwardly on the sore leg/arm ? …. wont need to be much of a fall.
Or maybe snagged a nail on something and injured the limb trying pull free ?

Review the lighting, and set up and put up photos else we are only guessing.

bjacksy

kingofnobbys":n78yuh9i said:
bjacksy":n78yuh9i said:
Impaction can cause lameness in the back legs ( pressure on the lower spine ).

Any chance he's fallen off something and landed awkwardly on the sore leg/arm ? …. wont need to be much of a fall.
Or maybe snagged a nail on something and injured the limb trying pull free ?

Review the lighting, and set up and put up photos else we are only guessing.

She couldn’t have fallen off of anything in her enclosure because she has a half log, and a hammock but the hammock is super close to the ground. The substrate I have is carpet but is hard to explain. (I’ll put a pic) I think that she may be impacted because she has been eating kind of big food, and has had trouble pooping. The lighting I have is her food and water bowls on the very left. Then a half log by it, along with a basking bulb on top. And then she has a hammock and a fake plant on the cool side of her tank. She has a uvb bulb going across the back side of her tank but above her screen top. Do you think she could heal with a bath and exercise her legs in the bath? And by propping the uvb inside the tank?She has a zoo med basking bulb I believe along with a reptisun 10.0 t8 bulb. Sorry for so much. Any help is wanted, and thanks for responding!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
bjacksy":35lexome said:
100005-9930797028.jpg

sorry about the poop, and yes I need to change the greens

I suspect the shade mesh hammock is the culprit …. these are dangerous snag hazards for reptiles with long curled nails like dragons , it only takes a nail to get snagged and a panicking dragon can do serious limb or joint injuries …. I recommend ditching the hammock and a vet visit is needed to determine the extend of the injuries to the arm and start treatment if this is necessary.

bjacksy

Well, this stinks. I have a question, do you think that it could be from her shedding? My mom thinks that because she is shedding, they become very lethargic and can stop being them selves. Any idea why she could not be using her back legs all the sudden now? This is what happened. I saw her before I went to bed, and she was laying with her arm backwards and the next morning she couldn’t be use it. She was limping. So I gave her a day or two, and now her back legs are starting To become a little stiff. I’m very worried about her and I’ve never had luck with these little critters. I will remove the hammock and hope for the best. We can’t take her to the vet cause we had To take our ferret there the other day, so I’m afraid we can’t. Is there by any chance that you think we could stick the uvb bulb inside the tank and hope that gets her strength back? Sorry for so much. Any help is welcome.

bjacksy

So basically what I am asking is, if I prop the uvb bulb inside her tank and give smaller crickets, do you think she can get better because we are catching what ever is going on early?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
bjacksy":gm0qf8o6 said:
Well, this stinks. I have a question, do you think that it could be from her shedding? My mom thinks that because she is shedding, they become very lethargic and can stop being them selves. Any idea why she could not be using her back legs all the sudden now? This is what happened. I saw her before I went to bed, and she was laying with her arm backwards and the next morning she couldn’t be use it. She was limping. So I gave her a day or two, and now her back legs are starting To become a little stiff. I’m very worried about her and I’ve never had luck with these little critters. I will remove the hammock and hope for the best. We can’t take her to the vet cause we had To take our ferret there the other day, so I’m afraid we can’t. Is there by any chance that you think we could stick the uvb bulb inside the tank and hope that gets her strength back? Sorry for so much. Any help is welcome.

If she's deteriorating …. it's time to take her to see a good REPTILE vet and find out what is causing this.

They can go down hill very fast if not treated by a vet PROMPTLY.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
bjacksy":3132sw20 said:
So basically what I am asking is, if I prop the uvb bulb inside her tank and give smaller crickets, do you think she can get better because we are catching what ever is going on early?

The UV (what exactly is it - brand ? , wattage ? type (compact ? T8 tube ? T5ho tube ?) and what is it's %UVB rating) is going to be better for her mounted UNDER THE MESH LID and in a REFLECTOR STYLE dome or hood.
Aim for 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot. See this for more guidance - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Crickets - what size are they ? and are they shorter than the space between the dragon's eyes ?

bjacksy

I have the Reptisun 10.0 t8 uvb bulb. I got this one because it is what you guys were recommending on this forum. The crickets are the same distance between the dragons eyes, but sometimes they seem a little big for her. My mom said we can take her To the vet soon, and we will be propping the uvb inside her tank this weekend. It has a reflector and we will be downsizing her crickets. All of this started to happen when we started to give larger crickets. So I blame that and now I know better. We are going to a reptile experienced vet with five stars. Thanks. We also are going to be giving her some seedless prune juice for reptiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom