Broly the new super saiyan beardie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Dishes and laundry are about the only kind of housework I can still manage to do these days. Can you believe we have a robot vacuum cleaner and I'm still not up to doing the vacuuming? I know it's been too long when I start picking up dust bunnies off the floor with my bare hands and putting them in the trash... :oops: Part of the problem is that we have too much stuff sitting around on the floor because we have no place else to put it (the house is too small and/or we have too much stuff), so we can't let "Robbie" run the obstacle course unsupervised -- we have to chase her around and keep her out of trouble. And BTW, we have a policy that if it has an artificial intelligence, it gets a name. And we named her Robbie before we realized she was female. She speaks two languages, English ("Move me to a new location") and R2D2 ("beep bleep"), but when she speaks English, she talks with a feminine voice. But she sits idle too much (my fault, not hers or my husband's) and the dust mite population in this house is out of control. :roll:

Kind of a bad weekend for us, this last one. I was depressed all day on Friday for no apparent reason, and then I had an emotional meltdown all over my poor husband on Saturday and none of the critter care got done, so we had to catch up today. But both of the reptiles got fed and Puff got his bath (he does get hydrated if he drinks the water we dribble on his nose and/or if he eats a few veggies, regardless of whether he absorbs any through his skin or his vent or whatever, so I can stay out of that debate too) and the bugs got their little habitat cleaned up with fresh food and water, so today was a better day and we got the most important stuff done even though Saturday was almost a total loss.

Looks like Puff is still awake this evening. Time for lights out and bedtime cuddle. :love5: :sleepy2:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey',

I know! That debate is so annoying! I just roll with it. I bathe him if it's hot, dirty or hasn't gone to the bathroom in a while. It was hot yesterday and had gotten "heat illness" as my parents called it if you got sick from heat. I do have to kill gnats from my carnivores. Larvae is very harmful to plants. I never heard that. A few sites on carnivore plants saying gnat larvae is bad. They eat the roots of plants for 2 weeks till they grow up. Very bad. I scattered rosemary we'll see if they get repelled.

Broly's not eating much and neither is Kane. I think they're gonna slow down next month. I have to get them to pass stool a lot before they go down.

The weekend was hot! 76 outside but hotter inside. Luckily our box fan has moved air around the house. Humidity suuucks and heat makes it worse. I get heat illness all the time on the hottest day. Today is 81! I might get it again -.- great.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So apparently gnats and their larvae have a way to avoid getting "eaten" by carnivorous plants and can turn the tables and eat them instead -- wow. :shock: I never realized that gnats were anything worse than just annoying. Rosemary sounds like a nice natural solution if it is indeed effective... :?

Summer is winding down -- more so here than where you are, apparently -- it's highly unlikely that we're going to get any more "warm" days around here (relatively speaking), although we are still getting a few sunny breaks in between clouds and rain, and most of the trees are still green (not for long). But it's cooling off overall and we're losing a little more daylight every day (at the rate of over 5 1/2 minutes per day up here), and I think the beardies know it. Puff's after bath cuddle turned into his bedtime cuddle last night, and we all gave up on his usual routine of squeezing in one last hour of light-bulb worshiping at the end of the day. :sleepy2:

We used to call it "heat exhaustion". Probably the worst experience I ever had with it was when I was about 15 (a lo-o-ong time ago :wink: ). We went on a family vacation to Disneyland in southern California to stay at the Disneyland hotel for a few days, but we also got tickets to a baseball game at Anaheim stadium while we were out there -- a day game in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the summer -- our seats were in the sun and it was HOT. I ate a nice cold ice cream bar and that was probably a mistake -- I probably would have done better to get something salty and lots of water (I'm not sure if Gatorade was even much of a thing back then). Anyway, I ended up spending most of the afternoon in the lady's lounge under the stadium trying to keep cool and missed most of the game, until one of my parents finally came and found me and told me that the shade had moved to our seats, so I went back out probably just in time for the ninth inning -- I don't even remember who was playing and/or who won -- I was pretty much "out of it", and it took most of the rest of our vacation for me to recover. I loved Disneyland and I grew up with it. If I remember correctly, it's only about 2 years older than I am, and I can remember when the most exciting ride was the monorail :lol:. We used to go at least once every summer, but that year was definitely NOT one of my best summer-in-southern-California experiences. :(

I hope you can manage to stay cool enough to not get sick, because I know it's not fun no matter what you call it.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Wtf?? I have spam on my thread!! Oh come on! Get out of here! I did not mention blood sugar!

Yes, I have predatory mites as well. Look closely you see orange red bugs running. They dont hurt ppl or plants. They go after spider mites, aphids (theyre a nightmare) and gnat larvae. I haven't seen spider mites or aphids I'd see damage by now since they drink the plant dry and other like gnat larvae eats roots. I use to help my dad raise mary j plants. We saw aphids and spider mites. They're freaking evil. I should remember how it was. Called them the devil. Predatory mites help a lot if they're not huge infestation then again maybe they can.

Broly passed diarrhea. This is pretty much normal. Everyone else is good. We have a green chameleon. Tom being a horror movie lover watched Joy Ride and named it Rusty Nail (the killer). So her name is RN for short. I didnt name her but I let him name her after a dopey movie... Idk I didnt find it scary or creepy. I've been tending to my mites and new neglected pet RN. We rescued her from ppl who took poor care of her. No mister they claimed squirt bottle. How can you squirt her every hour...get the misting system. She's fine just not in high humidity. She has UVB I think it's a 5.0 Reptisun. I honestly can't remember as shes not mine. She's Tom's so he knows better than I do.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Not sure if that was intentional spam -- maybe someone thought we were talking about low blood sugar instead of heat exhaustion -- I guess the symptoms are actually somewhat similar. Whatever.

I don't have diabetes or low blood sugar as far as I know, at least not yet. I like to think that I'm safe because if my pancreas haven't crapped out by now, after all the dietary abuse I've put them through over the years, they're probably not going to, but I could be wrong about that. I like sugar a little too much. Ok -- a LOT too much. :roll:

So you're raising a batch of mites to sic them on the gnats to help your carnivorous plants, huh? It will be interesting to see how that works out. However you do it, I hope you can find a way to keep your plants healthy.

My sister has aphids on the trees in her yard, and she has tried just about everything to get rid of them, without much success. "Nightmare" is right. :( I got them on one of my houseplants once, and the folks at the garden store gave me some stuff to spray on the plant and told me it wouldn't be too hard on the plant -- got rid of the aphids but killed half the plant too.

I've noticed that it seems to be an occupational hazard with vets and vet techs that they acquire a small zoo, often mostly rescue animals. Good luck to you and Tom both with the new chameleon.

My husband named our beardie Puff (the "magic" dragon) after the song, and I just went along with it. It was his turn to name one anyway.

Cloudy rainy sleepy day today. Puff is halfway "downstairs" from his basking platform half asleep. :|

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Kami, we'll get rid of that bot for you, k?

Just wanted to tell you that I have 3 brumating dragons, Nathaniel, Cierra and Castiel are all asleep. Again they went down end July, just like the last 2 summers. It's so weird to have dragons sleeping in the summer time when it's hot. I get them up every 2 weeks for a 1/2 hr soak, bask and back to bed. So only Imp and Gabriel up right now, they're really enjoying all the one-on-one time and getting lots of sunshine, too. We're in the middle of a drought, no rain since May. The trees have been dropping leaves for over a month now. The fires are still raging north of Vancouver, but not as bad, just not all done yet. It's been awful, so many people displaced, over 40,000, probably more by now.

Imp is really doing well with his feeding, eating every day and it shows. So here's a pic of him on my hand with a bigger belly:
11887-8724106247.jpg
11887-550640035.jpg
comparison shot from a couple months ago:
11887-7983186575.jpg

I'm so pleased with how he's doing. He wants to hide but I won't let him. He'll wake up in the am and just stick his head out of his hide, but I get him up as I don't want him to brumate this year, he'll just lose weight.

Gabriel is still alive, even though that aneurysm is getting bigger. He still eats, poops, walks across the living room and get out on the balcony on his own. I'm just amazed at him!
11887-8074952997.jpg
That was taken this am, bath and supplement time and they were good on the counter. Imp still likes to sit on Gabriel when he can, but they don't fight.
Gabriel showing his true belly
11887-1953235707.jpg

My back has been out for awhile and I've been off work again. Managed a day on Monday and couldn't move by Tuesday, saw chiro yest and still hurting. I just have to get through 3 yrs Dec 1 and I retire, so striving to get in every day.

I'm glad everything is going well with you and Tom, I enjoy reading your posts.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Deb, Imp is great! Much better. What was wrong with him? I must've missed it. Broly's about the same...he's getting ready...then again strange as he likes to be in the sun. He's not eating much and passing stools every 4-5 days sometimes 3. He got checked out...he dropped 26g and thats because his stools are diarrhea some days and when they're that way...they're big...big mess. The stool had to of weighed 26g. He still loves his squash (butternut and pumpkin) and bugs. He cut greens but Im gonna try today.
Brumation is coming...thank you for taking care of the bot or person whatever that is. He's 507...from 533. He's fine as he has kidney issues so it will happen. He's gettin heavy again. We will have occasional weight problems with water and stool contributing. Healthy and active.

SueAnn, we did save the MJ plants. They weren't too far off. Ate half the roots (gnat larvae and aphids) and discoloration (spider mites). Ordered predatory mites, wet the soil, released them in the evening (they seem to be nocturnal). Within a few weeks it was over..we won. Occasional gnats come back to lay so we keep the mites. I keep them too in all my potted plants. I have some other mites too gamistid mites (sp) and another starts with an o.
It's working as my "bad" pot of dc XL plants are finally sprouting. Black on new growths but thats the 74 deg sun apparently :roll:. Others are fine.

Yes we have a zoo. 4 leopards, one tokay and 1 gargoyle geckos. One skink, two beardies, 2 hamsters and guinea pigs. Three fish tanks and now skinny RN, dogs and cats.
As for RN she doesn't trust people at all. We dropped in crickets she ate them. She eyes us like a hawk we put our hands in (cleaning droppings) she hisses. The previous owners abused her (Im saving details what they did to make her fear humans). If we try to pet (we go slow) she screams or something..loud is what it was. I jumped when I heard her. I had to tell Tom stop. His intentions are good but creeping her out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kamie,

LOL I took care of the Spambot for you. Who knows why....
How are things? Those are great pictures, Deb.

Tracie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Catching up from the 3 day weekend. We actually got a lot done, for once :D . I think my husband is a little shell-shocked from the spirea wars in the backyard -- the stuff makes a beautiful hedge, but it will take over your whole yard if you let it. He spent half a day out there on Saturday cutting it back, and several more hours yesterday. I think it's good enough now, but he's a bit of a perfectionist. :roll: I did manage to talk him into coming in for the evening to kick back and watch a little Star Trek. After all, it was supposed to be a holiday.

We even got some vacuuming done, and Puff got all excited about the robot vacuum cleaner. :blob5: I still figure that he must think it's a giant cockroach. He also seems to have learned what the "kricket keeepers" are for -- lately he's been doing his little dance when he sees them on the table. Had a good meal this weekend. We also tried with apples from our tree, but he wasn't interested.

Maybe I should tell my sister about the predatory mites. I thought she'd tried everything on the aphids, but I'm not sure if she's tried that.

It sounds like Broly is managing to maintain a healthy weight overall, even with the occasional wet sloppy dumps. It must be "fun" :wink: cleaning up after him.

I didn't know that chameleons could make noise like that. It sounds like the poor little thing has been through some stuff that no reptile (or any other living thing, for that matter) should have to go through :cry: . Hopefully she will eventually learn that she's safe with her new humans and be able to trust you...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yup. Over the 3 day wknd my dad bought himself a guinea pig. Female, 1 month old. She's a cutie! Very social. I have two guinea pigs so I know. He has 1 but Idk why. I had to help set up the cage. My pigs names are Simba and Kion if anyone gets Lion King. They were already named by another family who owned them. Kids grew to teens and stopped caring for them. They're sweet.

Sat I won't be home till late. Im going to comi con with my parents and nephew and my nephew's friend. We're going to meet Peter Capaldi! We're meeting the 12th dr! We're excited! My sister hates crowds so she agreed to check in on Broly. However, she won't stay as she has errands. If Broly passes a stool Im sure he'll run through it as well as being angry about it. Tom is coming with us to comicon too. Basically nobody's home to get rid of it. Worse comes to worse he'll get a bath, clean up his tank and let Broly stay up a bit longer to dry off completely though I dry him with a towel as best I can. We're not far from Portland but we're spending most the day there then eating dinner afterwards. After that, drop my parents off at home then drop my nephew (turning 7 that day) and his best friend who's 8 yrs old at my sister's house then Tom and I come home to either a messy Broly or he'll lay about all day upset we're gone. Gonna weigh him tomorrow hoping hes not lower than last Wednesday.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

We met Peter Capaldi. Hes very nice. We met other people too. My phone died so it cut me off and I wrote a lot. I don't wanna write it all again.

My dragon did pass a stool it was normal. I replaced the tile with a clean one. He wasn't dirty. He stayed away from it for once instead of running through it like the turkey it is.
It was good. Im very tired still...im gonna eat and go to sleep.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like you had fun. So Peter Capaldi is as awesome in person as he is on TV, huh? Dang, I'm going to miss him -- and he's going to be a hard act to follow for the next Doctor.

I used to do the Star Trek conventions, and I got to see several of the stars in person, but never actually talked with any of them one on one. We've got no budget for that sort of thing anymore, but lots of nice memories. I was in a Star Trek fan club for a while when I first moved to Alaska, too, and we had some fun. That was over 20 years ago now.

I lost several days to a nasty chest cold last week -- I was afraid I was going to have to consider putting a big hole in our savings with a trip to the emergency room, but as it turned out, I never got to the point where I couldn't breathe, and my own immune system seems to have gotten a handle on it without any outside assistance. Not bad for a 60 year old immune system. My body now seems to be in the process of what I call "clearing out the crud" and I'm starting to feel "normal" again (whatever that is :wink: ). Just as well, because my health insurance (such as it is) is "Obamacare" with a ridiculously low premium (less than the tax penalty, or I would have continued to do without) and a ridiculously high deductible (to save on the premiums), but no incentive to go to the doctor when I need to ... Oh well, best not to get me started about the health care system in this country... :roll:

Some beardies do seem to be perfectly capable of staying out of their own poop unless they realize that they can use it as an excuse to get their human slaves to pay some extra attention to them. I think Puff and Broly may both fall into that category. :mrgreen: At least Puff was nice enough to do it in his bath this last weekend. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Ok, so I'll write out everything today.

Yes, Peter is so sweet. Pearl Mackie is just adorable! Very nice. She hugged the kids. Peter gave them a high five. He's energtic! He told Jack that he should be the next dr's companion. Jack said he didn't like dr 13. Peter said ok be mine then and Jack agreed. We're going to Seattle in Dec it's a Dr Who thing. Drs Davison and Sylvester will be there. Im sure Jack will want to meet them.
We also met Jess (Wakko's voice from Anamaniacs), Weird Al, Burt Ward (60s Batman), Tommy from 90s Power Rangers, Troy Baker (voice actor) and the women of RWBY (pronounced Ruby). I can't remember much. I think that's everyone. Then we just shopped for souvenirs (plushies and posters). Jack got a Purrmaid (half cat half fish) and Jae (Jack's friend), got a horror icon poster. It's fine. Kids really had fun.

I came home with a Purrmaid myself. It's a Siamese fighting fish. Siamese is the cat upper half other half betta fish back end. Jack has a Toyger Shark Purrmaid it's tiger and shark mixed. I also came home to clean Broly but dirty tile. It's clean though. I wanted the poster too but unfortunately my mom couldnt remember where she took Jae to get it. Spent 20 minutes looking but couldnt find it. It was there but we were getting tired of looking for it. I'll find it next year maybe. I can draw most horror icons but still.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Oooh -- you got to meet Pearl Mackie too. Jack must have been sooo jazzed. :blob5: I had to google it and found out they've announced that the next Doctor is going to be a woman -- Jodie Whittaker. The next season should be interesting. I saw some of the episodes with Peter Davison (I think maybe the reason I never got to like him much is because I'd just gotten too attached to Tom Baker) but I don't think I ever saw any of the ones with Sylvester McCoy. I'm hoping they'll put some of the oldies up on YouTube or something someday because I'd like to see some of them again, or catch the ones I've missed.

I remember the old Batman series in the 60s -- I watched it when I was a little kid. Uber campy and such fun. Burt Ward is getting pretty old now, and I wouldn't recognize him as Robin. I'm surprised to find out that he's still doing the conventions.

Meanwhile, all's well with the reptiles around here and we've even been having some fairly nice sunny weather in between rainstorms. Maybe that's why Puff was still wide awake at bedtime last night, but he settled down for his cuddle as soon as we turned the lights off. Squirmles the carnivorous couch potato was already sacked out in his Kleenex box for the night, and I'm still getting over my cold from last week, so I have his supply of empty Kleenex boxes completely stocked up, so we can give him a new one whenever he poops on it, pushes it in his water dish, etc. :mrgreen:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yes, she's very nice like Peter. Everyone I know likes Tom.
Peter was cute. I watched some old ones on Netflix..not sure if it's there now. I watched Drs Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee. I didn't watch much of Tom. I watched a bit of Davison and Colin (learned later on he hated that coat and the producers made him wear it). Watched Sylvester and the crazy movie in 96 Dr Who starring McGann. I was 9 when the movie was on. I had no idea wth that was. Im 30 now and seen most older Drs.

Burt Ward was a bit into talking to fans that walked up to him. They had a person with him to let him know there was more fans. It's not his fault he was having fun. Brent Spiner was in a chair most of the con. He was so tired but still nice. My mom met him she said he's very nice but tired.

Jack did hug Peter Capaldi. My nephew started crying on him I was like "oh no.." We can't hold up the line. It was totally weird. Peter was nice enough to take us in the back to calm Jack down (he's really attached to this Dr). Jack's 7 so I guess kids do cry when their favorite character leaves the show. Peter said hes just regenerating to a lady dr. Jack was finally calm enough. Took 15 minutes...that's how Jack became Peter's best friend. Im not sure how not like we have his number or email. Probably just something Peter said to calm a 7 yr old down. We apologized for the break down but Peter said its alright. He didn't mind.

That's the full story...everyone else he didn't cry. He's a cute kid..just couldn't stop himself from crying.

Everyone is good here. Tryin to train Broly to no pass stools in the tank. It's a long process.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom