Beardie Food Pyramid

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Came across this when talking to a BTS keeper .

Developed based on science and in the Merck Vet Manual :
http://www.completecritter.com/bearded-dragon.html

In a nutshell , and this will be an eye opener for many ! FOR ADULT BEARDED DRAGONS
bearded_dragon_food_pyramid.png

For younger dragon , insects everyday , calcium everyday.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a pretty interesting writeup. I generally agree with what they're saying and that's in a pretty easy to understand format.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
A few more thoughts and some more evidence .

See this table extracted from : https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273714443

wild_bearded_dragon_diet.png

The scientific data indicates 15.5% plant material in the wild free roaming beardies studied ( % mass basis ) , 20.6% fat content (from animal prey (ie mice and birds and eggs)) , and 61% insects (including spiders and scorpions).
This is as good a guide as anything and ties in very nicely with the Food Triangle and much better than the 80% veg diet many keepers wish to impose and have for a while.

IMO it's fine to give some insect protein each day , along with some greens and veg and this is what I do for my subadult and adult bearded dragons.
I try to include some high calcium greens each day , not so important if I have silkworm on hand who are full of either silkworm chow or chewed mulberry leaf (mulberry leaf is extremely rich in calcium ( Ca/P is about 10 !!!).

I think if your dragon likes bugs , fine, let it have some each day , and make sure they have been gutloaded using veg and greens you would like the dragon to eat, this way the dragon is happy, and you know it's getting some of the greens and veg via the guts of the insects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom