HELP moved my baby up to a 40 Gal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went from a 20 Gal to a 40 Gal and now I'm worried she's not gonna get the light she needs. This is the new tank.
92975-9522175770.jpg
I know it looks weird cuz of the angle but it's a lot bigger than the old one which is this one.
92975-3190495940.jpg
. Anyway, the basking light is 100w and the red one we use for night time is also 100w. The light in the terrarium hood light is this one.
92975-4101498085.jpg
. Is the temperature the only way i can be sure shes getting the right light? Cuz mine is losimg battery ☹ also I have 2 concerns about that reptisun light I'm using. I'm not sure if it's considered a coiled light which I read was bad for them. And 2 how do i even know if shes getting the right amount of light with that one...?? Ugh so difficult i just want everything to be perfect for her and for her to be healthy my spoiled baby!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The tank upgrade is wonderful for him. :D
I would highly recommend upgrading your UVB light as well. It looks like you have a short, coiled UVB, correct? For that sized tank, I would get the Reptisun 10 T5 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tubes, either one. They are both terrific & would give him the well needed UVB exposure he needs being in
a larger tank. How many inches is your basking & UVB area from the actual "basking" spot?
What are the temperatures measuring now?

Tracie

charmander16

Juvie Member
With the screen like that, you should get a 24" Reptisun T5 5.0 or possibly even a 10.0 and set the UVB light along side the basking light so they are both shining on the same area.

Also, make sure that the temp on the basking spot is between 105 and 110. You need a digital temp probe (or temp gun) to check this and you need to leave the probe on the basking spot for at least 30 minutes in mid day to get a really good reading.

Monica0213

Original Poster
Drache613, yes it is a short coiled looking one. The temperature was at 100 but as soon as i switched the red light to the regular basking light it went back to 98. I don't know if it's just my thermometer or if that's actually the right temp. I just measured from the light to the basking spot and it was a little above the 9 inches mark. And the temperatures have been going up and down the high 90s. Right now it's down to 97 when it was 98 not too long ago.

Charmander16 can I order that light online? Will I also need to replace the hood light with a bigger one? The basking spot temp is usually at 101 but ever since the temp upgrade the thermometer has been going crazy. I think I just need a new battery

Monica0213

Original Poster
The temp is now at 103! I'm not gonna get too excited tho cuz I still don't know if my thermometer is on the fritz lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom