Roaming around house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iris02

Hi,
I'm a new beardie owner, and I have a question. I have not let Iris free roam around my room yet, and was wondering what the safest way was to do it. I have read stories about people losing their beardies in their own houses, and that got me skeptical. So my questions is, is there a need to "beardie proof"my room in any way? I have furniture I don't want her to get stuck under etc.
Thanks!

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I lost Mystic under the tv stand. He always seems to find a new dark spot to hide, It only takes a few minutes. This was last year in his Xmas spot.
83443-6000121687.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
All my gang get to spend a bit of time each day "free ranging", we simply close doors or block off with cardboard sheets or boxes those areas we don't them to go ( and only one beardie or one bluetongue skink at a time and keep an eye on them , other than that we let the lizard do it's own thing while on the floor.

They love it and all have favorate spots to investigate and the crash at when they run out energy.

They also demand floor time (most days) though there are days when they'd rather just have a snuggle or chill on the lounge next to my wife or me.

They don't miss a trick either, if something is moved or is new , it becomes imperative that they have to investigate it thoroughly and intimately .... this includes visitors handbags, Christmas trees, presents, bags full of groceries, my grandson's toys.

We do our best to ensure there are no items that are small enough to be swallowed and no wild roaches (from outside or next door) on the floor (don't know if they've been in contact with insectocides).

Each gets at least 30 - 90 minutes per session, and since we're retired, it's most days.

Ancline

I also tie a 4-5 ft piece of yarn on my bearded dragon when he roams. I tie it around his waist right above the back legs so it doesn't bother him and he just trails it behind him wherever he goes. My tiny apartment has lots of little hiding spots for him so if he decides to hide under the couch for instance I will be able to easily spot him with the string attached to him, then if he's crawled all the way back there I can retrieve him by gently pulling on the string. I don't have kids or other pets, and there aren't many dangers for him to get into so I feel pretty safe letting him roam 30 minutes at a time with me checking on him every 5 minutes or so. Usually he just sits next to my PC where the exhaust fan blows warm air on him :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom