Need advice on a sick beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erinator

My bearded dragon Ellie was just diagnosed at the vet with coccidia, and we've started her meds today. I can already tell that she's feeling a bit better, but I can also tell that she's still quite stressed out because the bottom half of her tail is tinted black. I just switched her to a new tank a couple of weeks ago and the vet told me to put her old log from her smaller tank back in with her because she's probably very attached to it (which may be the cause of the coccidia outbreak but we can't know for sure) and I did... she's glued to it? but I was wondering if any of you fellow beardie owners know any tips on how to soothe them when they're stressed/sick? My heart is breaking for her, I just want to make her comfortable during her recovery.

Just a quick reminder that it has been established through the animal hospital that all of her lighting and tank set up is correct and that she is being taken care of properly! I just need some advice on how to help calm her down.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Ellie, she should be fine but medications do stress them out. You can give her some
probiotics like non dairy soy yogurt, flavored or non flavored, or non dairy acidophiliz either
one to help her tummy. Which medication did they give her?
You can keep her warm in her tank overnight, around 80 or so for help with boosting her
immune system. If you wanted to, you could setup a little bedside area for her, to place her
in at night, close to you. That may help her feel more secure to sleep near you like that..

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What are the meds she is on ( in her treatment plan ) ?

Have you thoroughly sterilized her viv and removed all porous materials ? How are you sterilizing it and how often .

See viewtopic.php?f=45&t=235387 for more information and the proper treatment which should be a three pronged attack ie
1) anticoccidial medication
2) antibiotic to treat secondary gut infection
3) regular F10sc sterilization of the dragon's viv and all it's furnature (I'd recommend F10sc used at 1:125 dilution to be sure of killing all coccidial spores).

and unless you do this , your dragon will never be cured.

Also good idea to keep her warm overnight too so her immune system gets a bit of a boost as does the activity of the meds.

Erinator

Original Poster
Drache613":30shk8rh said:
Hello,

Poor Ellie, she should be fine but medications do stress them out. You can give her some
probiotics like non dairy soy yogurt, flavored or non flavored, or non dairy acidophiliz either
one to help her tummy. Which medication did they give her?
You can keep her warm in her tank overnight, around 80 or so for help with boosting her
immune system. If you wanted to, you could setup a little bedside area for her, to place her
in at night, close to you. That may help her feel more secure to sleep near you like that..

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Hey Tracie!
I'll definitely take your advice. The vet gave her Albon (i give her .12 mL as directed every day.) I'm keeping her tank nice and toasty and it seems as though her favorite log is calming her down. Tonight I'm gonna take your advice and make her cozy in a little bedside area. Probably in a box with a heating pad or something on my night table so I don't accidentally roll onto her (worst nightmare).

While on the phone with the vet, I did ask if I should supplement her with a probiotic and the doctor said no! It seemed kind of strange to me because logically antibiotics would kill all of the good bacteria inside of her too...should I give her one anyway?

Erinator

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1btkf9mu said:
What are the meds she is on ( in her treatment plan ) ?

Have you thoroughly sterilized her viv and removed all porous materials ? How are you sterilizing it and how often .

See viewtopic.php?f=45&t=235387 for more information and the proper treatment which should be a three pronged attack ie
1) anticoccidial medication
2) antibiotic to treat secondary gut infection
3) regular F10sc sterilization of the dragon's viv and all it's furnature (I'd recommend F10sc used at 1:125 dilution to be sure of killing all coccidial spores).

and unless you do this , your dragon will never be cured.

Also good idea to keep her warm overnight too so her immune system gets a bit of a boost as does the activity of the meds.

Ellie is on Albon (.12 mL every day for ten days). Also don't worry! The moment we found out she had coccidia I immediately emptied her tank and used diluted bleach to clean everything in there. I dishwashed all of her ornaments on sanitary wash and am just using paper towels as her substrate (Which I change twice a day). I have potty trained her to only poop in her baths so every day I give her two-three little soaks to clear her out and help with hydration. I am aware that coccidia is extremely easily spread so I use a timy bit of organic baby shampoo (the vet said it's okay to do that) and I gently wash her off after every poo.

I do have another question though. She is on an Antibiotic called Enrofloxacin (.05 mL every 24 hours for 10 days) and has been for a couple of days- should I keep giving it to her along with the Albon? I have been, the vet didn't tell me to stop it but she also didn't tell me to keep at it, and the soonest I can speak with her is Monday of next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom