Beardie Fell On Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

JewelsJones

Original Poster
Just saw Qibli for the first time today. I put him in my hand to let him walk off into his hammock and he got up on all fours and walked off my hand. I'll definitely be sure to start leaving money aside just in case it happens again and I'm not so lucky. Thank you all for your help, tips, and concern, and if his condition worsens I'll get him to a vet asap.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news he is walking on his own now. Hopefully he is making a full recovery then! :D
Accidents do happen, unfortunately but it's always a good idea to try & keep a little bit of money
put aside in case of emergency.
Do let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JewelsJones":gbqzxyys said:
As far as shoulders and cats go, I know not to do it anymore and after the first time my kitten got to him, I'm not taking him out till she is out of the room. I'm going to see how he does tonight, since I'm at work, and if he doesn't seem right, I'll definitely try to make sure he gets to a vet, althought I'm not sure if there is a good one for reptiles around.

As far as his size goes, I think he is about 10 inches. I had him in a 10 gallon for the first month I had him and now he is in a 20 gallon. I know they need a 40 gallon minimum, but I can't find one near where I live.

<< I recommend that you upsize him to his forever home when he has grown out of the existing viv, a perfect size viv for his forever home is a 4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft T viv, these are best built from solid timber ( I recommend 3/4 in thick marine grade plywood , is more durable and better quality ) with front (sliding) glass doors.
Lots build their own , see DIYS subforum and Enclosures subforum.
Another option is a conversion (of a old cupboard or buffet or TV cabinet if it's made from solid timber NOT veneered particle board).

I think there are some issues with existing viv's setup , will be very helpful to you if you work methodically through my cheatsheet, see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050 , if you do so , chances are the problems such as the mesh hammock (a nail snag risk which regularly result in serious arm or leg injuries when beardies get their nails snagged).

Here is some handy information on how different UV globes and tubes perform , will he helpful In working how far the UV source needs to be from the basking spot to get sufficient UV ( ie about 190 microW UVB / sq.cm is my aim ) . viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

He eats live mealworms about 10,
Please cut the mealworms (the hard digest exoskeletons is a impaction risk for dragons younger than 12 months old).
Here's a comparison of feeders : viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

I recommend
>>> BSF maggots ( = calci-gents = calci-worms = phoenix worms) , he'll need large size.
>>> silkworms , I recommend small size (about 1.5 inches long) for him.

occasional grasshoppers 5, and the occasional treat moth. He eats grapefruit, carrots, green beans, and zucchini. I just switched him over to a buffet blend to help him get the right amount of calories and it has freeze dried crickets and mealworms, but I haven't seen him touch it. He gets one to two feeding sessions, once in the morning and one at night, but always has some food in his bowl. I don't have any calcium or multivitamin to put on his food, and when I did have calcium powder it wouldn't stick onto his feeder insects. He won't eat crickets, unless they are freeze dried.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, I agree that the Buffet stuff is not a good beardie food at all, it seems to cause nothing but problems, specifically impactions. And anything with freeze-dried insects is a no no, they have no nutrition at all, and beardies get most of their hydration from their LIVE insects and FRESH greens and veggies, they typically drink very little water. So if they're eating dehydrated/freeze-dried insects and veggies, then dry pellets, they're getting very little nutrition or hydration. As Nobbys stated it is great food for your live feeders though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom