TUBS/TOTES SET UP AS REARING TANKS FOR HATCHLINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A possible configuration for three side by side rearing tubs involving
1 x SHARED T5 10%UVB tube in a REFLECTOR HOOD
3 x DUAL DOME STYLE REFLECTOR HOODS WITH CERAMIC (HI TEMP) E27 FITTINGS FOR EITHER
-- 1 X INCANDESCENT CLEAR COLOURLESS SPOTGLOBE (PAR38 SAY AND MAYBE 80W) AND 1X 80W CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER IN FOR EACH TANK.
fnbuhz.png

This would be very quick and easy to set up in an afternoon if the lights and hoods and plywood lids and tubs are all on hand and I think will be cheapest option for housing separately and rearing your three wee hatchlings.

This is the configuration of each my TWO STACKABLE REARING TUBS
vpw8hv.png

For each stackable rearing tub I have the following fittings
1 x EXO TERRA NANO HOOD for CFBs each has a 26W UVB200 in it , these are attached to the underside of each tub's lid with a 2x short M5 hexhead screws , my UVB200s are approx. 8 inches from the basking spot.
1 x ceramic E27 light fitting attached each to a short "plank" of 1/2 inch plywood (offcut) , these have a 60W incandescent colourless spotglobe (nothing specially) for winter , and drop to about 40W in summer in order to achieve 40oCelsius at the basking spot. The spot globe has a wire cage around it to prevent my hatchlings from touching the very hot surface of the globe or the E27 fitting.
I run a 7W film style heatpad which is sandwhiched between two layers of ceramic tiles and governed by a simple switching thermostat whose probe is adhered to the top of the warmed tiles , is set to hold 37oCelsius (the heatpad and tiles are under the hide , the hide serves as the basking spot.

Very easy setup in an hour or two, I made ventilation holes in the small ends of the tubes using an electric soldering iron (about 200 holes each end , one set low near the bottom (cool zone) and the other near the top of the opposite end.

My lights are all on the same 12 socket powerboard which is attached to a household programmable timer , I set my lights to come on at 6am and go off at 10pm.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I've bitten the bullet , going to retire the old 100L plastic rearing tubs, received 2 x 145L clear tubs from Bunnings today ....

Will likely convert them to rearing tubs for Peppa and Toothless to go into for a few months before I build their double decked beardie palace, just need to be bit more mobile to do that job.

I'll take photos as the job progresses so you can see who I go about doing the conversions.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good writeup. Thanks for posting it! I look forward to seeing updates as their dragon palace evolves =)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Found out the life expectancy of my 100L plastic rearing tubs the over day, I was reorganizing the cables for the heatpad & UV and basking globe last night (tangled up) and very lightly touched the side of Peppa's tub and it split.
Oops !!
I was hoping these two old rearing tubs (that Peppa and Toothless are in) would last another couple of months (til the November bulk domestic waste collection).
Makes the two rearing tubs 8 years old , that's 8 years exposed to 5% UVB for the first 2 years, and then to 10% UVB for Puff and Rex for their first 18 months, then Peppa and Toothless for 18 months so far , all these were 16 hr per day UV exposure . Not bad too bad for such cheap lizard housing.

Quick temporary fix with some clear contact plastic to stop the crack from going further , and to reinforce the side a bit.

Tonight I commandeered one of 109L tubs we keep our grandson's toys in and converted it to a rearing tub, slightly longer and wider than the old 100L tubs so I had to fix the spare nanohood to the "new" tub's lid. Couldn't lay my hands on the soldering iron so I had to drill the ventilation holes rather using melting the groups of ventilation holes (using a soldering iron is better - less chance of splitting the plastic).
My wife has commandeered the two 145L tubs , waited too long to use them so she found a use for them in the craftroom (my old study).

Job done in 90 minutes . Peppa gets a new rearing tub tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll be mobile enough and fit enough soon and able to build the new beardie house, Peppa and Toothless will be 2 years old soon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, sometimes the floor will crack after many years as well. Good thing they are relatively inexpensive to buy. :) Here's how I used to set up hatchlings and can be used up to about the 13" mark for a single dragon. Sizes of the branches increase with size of the dragon. Very simple + easy to clean and can be carried outside on warm [ but not too hot ] days for some natural sun.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29953/full

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
AHBD":2orrtw9j said:
Yes, sometimes the floor will crack after many years as well. Good thing they are relatively inexpensive to buy. :) Here's how I used to set up hatchlings and can be used up to about the 13" mark for a single dragon. Sizes of the branches increase with size of the dragon. Very simple + easy to clean and can be carried outside on warm [ but not too hot ] days for some natural sun.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29953/full

The floors are good, have always have either coco fibre substrate over them (for the BTs) or paper toweling (for beardies ) covering them.
The lids are OK too , too bad the old lids are too narrow for the new tubs (would have saved some mucking about).

Got out the Vernier calipers and checked the wall thicknesses , the old tubs are 1.45mm thick, the new ones are 1.80mm thick (and are UV stabilized too).
Same height as old tub.
But more floor space.

Running a heatpad in Peppa's new digs overnight (Rex's old tile sandwiched 7W heatpad) to make sure no residual gases are in the tub.
Peppa was watching the new tub getting modded , she was very interested .

She'll be installed in it tomorrow night after she goes to sleep (she'll wake up in a new slightly wider tub).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa likes her new more spaceous tub , it's about 4 inches extra wide but about the same length.

She can now crawl easily between her grotto and her jumbo hubba hut, and she's made good use of that new space already .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom