Class pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Hi again!

Last year, I had a bearded dragon that I inherited from someone who couldn't take care of him, and I learned a lot about bearded dragons from this forum. Sadly, he died of an infection last April. During the few months I had him, though, he was a class pet and he seemed to enjoy it. The students definitely did. We had "Reading to Reptiles" time when they practiced reading out loud and he listened intently. :study: We let him have free roam during quiet times, and it was a privilege to get to hold him that they took very seriously. He had so much personality!

I'm trying to decide if I want to get another one as a class pet. Frankly, he was a lot of work. On the other hand, I learned a lot about beardies and think maybe it wouldn't be as much work this time around because I already know about lighting and nutrition and size of the enclosure. I also plan to get a young one so that I can start him off right with nutrition.

What is the general opinion of beardies as class pets? Keep in mind that I am very much the sort of teacher that emphasizes respect for and care of animals. We don't even squish spiders in my class. If you're scared of spiders, you call someone else over to gently relocate it outside. The beardie's health and happiness would take priority over student desires, and I'd be the one taking him home on weekends and holidays.

My other concern is what to do with him if I go on vacation. I have a dog and a cat, and we usually have a pet sitter, but if there came a time when we couldn't have the sitter, they could be boarded for a few days. Can reptiles be boarded? Where does one find a good one?

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Personally I think it's a good idea so long as he or she is taken care of properly (which is seems like you would) I think education on reptiles especially bearded dragons is very important considering how popular they are as pets these days and how little pet stores know.

As far as boarding I am unsure, in our area our pet store kind of specializes in beardies and boards them there. You will always see new guys there, and while it is stressful for them in a pet store they are well fed and taken care of at least. I have never done in myself but I that is the furthest my knowledge goes for boarding.

My mother was a teacher and always wanted to get one for her class but never did end up getting one. I'm sure some might disagree with my opinion on this, but in my experience they are very personable creatures and have such distinct personalities, not 1 of ours is the same as the others. The only thing I would say is that young ones are very fast and skittish, so you might not want the kids handling it until it gets bigger, they more a lot faster when they are young and are more easily frighted so it can be easy to drop them and the last thing you want is kids chasing a baby around but I wouldn't presume to know what would happen in your class. Thats just a thought as adults are much more calm but with proper handling and care I'm sure it would do great.

If you do, please educate your kids on lights (t5 10.0 reptisun or 12% Arcadia and heat light) and why you don't use sand!!! Because they don't live on sand (and causes impaction) :) I would love to see a child walk into a pet store and tell the store owner they aren't properly set up which is all to common for these poor guys. I could go on and on but I wont.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jsw":12zwvyp4 said:
Hi again!

Last year, I had a bearded dragon that I inherited from someone who couldn't take care of him, and I learned a lot about bearded dragons from this forum. Sadly, he died of an infection last April. During the few months I had him, though, he was a class pet and he seemed to enjoy it. The students definitely did. We had "Reading to Reptiles" time when they practiced reading out loud and he listened intently. :study: We let him have free roam during quiet times, and it was a privilege to get to hold him that they took very seriously. He had so much personality!

I'm trying to decide if I want to get another one as a class pet. Frankly, he was a lot of work. On the other hand, I learned a lot about beardies and think maybe it wouldn't be as much work this time around because I already know about lighting and nutrition and size of the enclosure. I also plan to get a young one so that I can start him off right with nutrition.

What is the general opinion of beardies as class pets? Keep in mind that I am very much the sort of teacher that emphasizes respect for and care of animals. We don't even squish spiders in my class. If you're scared of spiders, you call someone else over to gently relocate it outside. The beardie's health and happiness would take priority over student desires, and I'd be the one taking him home on weekends and holidays.
<<< personally , I'm not so keen on the idea of a class pet . Too many cases of the school admin and other teachers having little or no interest in it's care and welfare , and problems arise when something happens (it gets injured, sick) , the buck passing starts and no one wants to foot the vet bill.

My other concern is what to do with him if I go on vacation. I have a dog and a cat, and we usually have a pet sitter, but if there came a time when we couldn't have the sitter, they could be boarded for a few days. Can reptiles be boarded? Where does one find a good one?
<<< a very mature trustworthy enthusiastic student who has parents who are willing to take the beardie and it's classroom viv home and provide for it is your best bet . Make sure the child is very knowledgeable about the care requirements and the beardie is relaxed with him.

Nuke22

93094-1608369798.jpg
93094-3597740261.jpg

Here is Lizzy in my 3rd grade classroom. She is my pet which I share with the classroom. She comes home on weekends and vacations. Going from school to home doesn't seem to bother her. She eats well both at home and at school. She is 4 months old, so I don't let the students hold her yet. I honestly think she really enjoys being able to watch the kids during the day. She's always up basking and watching what they are doing. I have students who feed her 3 times a day (crickets and black soldier fly larve). Having a classroom pet teaches them responsibility and compassion.

Minikrinkle

I think it's great to have one as a class pet. On the contrary my fourth grader won our dragon from an essay contest because her science teacher couldn't keep up with all her rescued pets. So yes, ours was a class pet. I heard stories about spike all year and the kids loved her. The teacher had her on two timmers. One for uva and uvb, ran at day (of course). And the other a heat lamp (just heat no light) at night because I guess the classroom got to cold at night. The kids took turns feeding and cleaning with rubber gloves, and vinegar water. Washed there hands before and after. The set up was great for her and worked wonderfully she just had too many (class pets) and was sad to see spike go. I worked well for our family because she's very healthy and energetic three year old dragon who is now the life of my living room......... in case your wondering it was a three part essay about care, background, and parents permission. Lucky Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom