What substrate, soft material to put in beardie's cave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

I have a big decent sized cage, hot side and cool side, on the cool side I built him a little house/cave where he goes in at night and sleeps in total darkness. But the floor is just cardbox and I want to make his little cave a cozy, warm place in case he gets cold at night. I was thinking some sort of bedding like hamster substrate bedding. But the thing is, I have the bedding because it came with 50 wax worms i ordered a long time ago, but I kept the bedding. Maybe I cant put some in my beardie's little cave? Or I was thinking just some sort of cloth like a sock, fleece, etc.

Thank you!

EDIT: or woodchips? Packing peanuts?

Mysty

Juvie Member
Fake grass is ok on the cool side. Its pretty soft and easy to clean. Its good to have a mix of rough substrate eg. tiles and rocks to trim claws and something softer for getting comfy.

91179-4712747000.jpg

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Mysty":2nzj7um8 said:
Fake grass is ok on the cool side. Its pretty soft and easy to clean. Its good to have a mix of rough substrate eg. tiles and rocks to trim claws and something softer for getting comfy.

91179-4712747000.jpg

That is great! Thank you!

charmander16

Juvie Member
Cold blooded animals don't get cozy. If they need warmth you need to use a heating pad or ceramic heat emitter.

My lizard prefers to sleep on rock, likely because it retains the day heat longer at night.

I have a dig box filled with coconut fiber and sand in the viv, which is the "softest" place to be, but he never sleeps there. He prefers rock.

But some people do put stuff like blankets in and apparently some lizards use them. But just remember that things like blankets, etc. don't do anything warmth-wise for cold blooded animals. Only external sources of heat can help them stay warmer, insulators like blankets or wood chips, etc. will do nothing to keep them warm.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
charmander16":uv0o8j2q said:
Cold blooded animals don't get cozy. If they need warmth you need to use a heating pad or ceramic heat emitter.

My lizard prefers to sleep on rock, likely because it retains the day heat longer at night.

I have a dig box filled with coconut fiber and sand in the viv, which is the "softest" place to be, but he never sleeps there. He prefers rock.

But some people do put stuff like blankets in and apparently some lizards use them. But just remember that things like blankets, etc. don't do anything warmth-wise for cold blooded animals. Only external sources of heat can help them stay warmer, insulators like blankets or wood chips, etc. will do nothing to keep them warm.

Thank you! I like the idea of a dig box. And when the cold hits nights a bit more here in SoCal Ill buy a heating pad or ceramic heat emitter.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use small fleece blankets or fleece scraps to allow for digging. It's soft and appears to be comfortable. My guy likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom